Recent used prices.....15%-10% lower than new cost or the same or more!?!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by The-Kid, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:36 PM.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Only so much of it can be explained by Supply and Demand but much of it is people just being bots....

Mainly before it wasnt so much of a thing even with EBay or MusicGoRound but now with Reverb.....and everyone becoming a bot......buying online only....and online buying is not bad but its just changed guitar culture and selling in some ways that are not always so positive iMO.....

Before people used to be cool.....and there are still cool people. Many of the dudes here on the forum are not going to sell stuff at these stupid prices these jokers on Reverb do....but now Reverb made people bots....and well Reverb is cool too....but just people being bots is not...and its not really a GC thing its a thing Reverb did....and even then who else can we or the bots blame for being and becoming bots.......but themselves/ourselves.....people have a choice not be a friggin bot....but on mass they choose to become one....thats the problem....

The willingness to become a part of the Amazon/WholeFoods/Iphone Borg-Collective....by the vast majority.....and just going along with it.....

This is what guitar culture and players have allowed in general for it to get to this point ImO.....

Its mainly that people are just bots now and willingly go along with this crap........

Its not really the companies fault so much as those feeding that culture, being a part of it and becoming a full on Flipper/Dolphin/Bot when it comes to flipping......flipping is okay...but please dont go Full Flipper/Dolphin/Bot......this is a big part of the reason the used marker is where its at.....and well its kind of to late for that for the majority of the music industry now but aside from Supply and Demand which I understand, these prices especially for used is just ridiculous and irrationally exuberant even for these times......and its not just the companies faults....guitar players have their role to play as much as companies do when it comes to the root of this problem IMO.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 3:53 PM
  2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

[​IMG]

OK, I'm kidding. Yes, it's been trending for a while that some people think a guitar they bought and didn't like is worth darn near exactly what it was worth when it was brand new. But check sold prices (as opposed to asking prices) before abandoning hope. I highly doubt there are all that many people eager to buy used at new prices.

Sometimes I think there's a lot of "I listed it for sale, honey. People just aren't biting. I can't give it away!" going on. Either that or hoping for a less knowledgeable person or one with local availability problems (online shops don't ship to them or something?).

3. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

I have a jazz bass American Original 60’s posted up locally for $1500CAD. It’s a 2018 and basically new. I had a guy arguing with me just now saying I’m asking too much!!

It was $2699CAD new and still had the plastic on the tuners and pickguard when I bought it. So yes there are guys asking way too much but those guys have to because reverb takes a huge fee.

The used market right now is all over the place. There’s also a lot of people that think everyone is hurting because of the worlds situation right now and low balling you hard and actually being rude about it.

4. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Msrp prices are one thing.....

And Major Props to all manufacturers and brands for not taking advantage and drastically rasing MAP prices across the board even though there is clear, appropriate and just market signals showing that is not only the shrewd thing to do.....shown by used market prices not controlled by them...

But the Appropriate thing to do given market signals in general.......

And they haven't ....

Despite even having orders 8 months out for Squiers......nvm American Pros....Elites....Ultras.....Gibson LPs and ES guitars.....which take way longer to make because of the work it takes to make Gibson guitars ......

But in the used market...whats the excuse!?!??! These corporations arent in charge of us being bots or not.......players on a vast majority IMO have decided to be a part of the
    Amazon/WholeFoods/Iphone Borg-Collective willingly.....thats the guitar players and the guitar cultures fault because in the end we are in charge of used prices.....not Corporations.

Honestly as a player and just having nothing but love for guitar....whats our excuse as a collective??!?! As players.....!?!?!?

Shouldnt we be calling this out and saying together...

Its not okay....this isnt what guitar is about....or what I thought it was about....

Or is it and has it always been that way and about money?!?!?!?

No it hasnt....growing up guitars were expensive and yes even a new MIM, Made in Indonesia guitar at 900-1300$ can be considered expensive...but they bring the goods....

But the used prices players resell for........

Forget Corporations or GC\Reverb...but just regular players or even Pros....not GC\Reverb or a Corporation....whats the excuse for that one?!?!?

Whos finger do we get to point at for an easy scapegoat for that one!?!?!?

Its easy right....the usual culprits..

Blame GC, Ebay, Reverb.......and whatever else....

Thats easy and we can do that all day......

But the truth is the used market is where its at because of Players.....regular players...or professional players all the same.....IMO....we are are here in the used market , the way it is, because a vast majority of us contribute and are a part of this problem....

Corporations arent in charge of that or the used market....

WE ARE!!!!!!

And no one wants to say or admit it......

No one or anyone has real scruples to admit it or even consider it a possibility apparently.......

And well until that changes....

Get used to the new normal in the used market....brought to you not by corporations.......but the vast majority of players pro or regular alike..........

**********WHY BE A BOT?!?!************

*****YOU HAVE A CHOICE NOT TO BE AN AMAZON/WHOLE-FOODS/IPHONE BORG-BOT*****

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    MC5tooge and Exhead like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

But the reality of it is the pricing of nearly every commodity we buy IS governed by supply and demand. Have you checked the price of a pound of hamburger lately or a gallon of gasoline?

I don't necessarily disagree with you but remember, asking is not getting. But then if you don't ask you have zero chance of getting. I've seen hard to get in demand used gear priced more than new simply because new is nowhere to be found at the moment and dealers can't say when that will change.

Those who troll with the highest prices are always after that one specific buyer for whom instant gratification rules and the sales histories tell me at least some are getting their price. Many of us can afford to wait 'til sanity returns to the marketplace again.

Paperback Rocker and Anacharsis like this.
  6. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Wait, what, you mean that there could be a possible *downside* to having the government just print an endless supply of checks and money (stimulus and extended "Covid" benefits) while simultaneously cramping production of pretty much everything?

Where's my shocked face?

7. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Again thats cool....

But for anyone who wants to blame someone for the condition the used market is at...blame regular or pro players on a vast majority.....we are in charge of that and well lets not kid our selves...as a collective this is the route the guitar community has taken and is comfortable with apparently......

Guitars arent supposed to be a blue chip commodity....or a way to flip on stupid prices to make a living IMO.....they are supposed to be used to play and be had at reasonable prices.

I dont care what anyone cares to place the root of the problem at.....all I know is you own a guitar because you like it...if you don't....sell it, get whatever you can from it at a reasonable means not being a BORG/BOT ...or get another or trade it for a reasonable means NOT BEING A BORG/BOT.....

But this Wall Street Attitude from regular old joe players from a regular teen or tweety something to a Pensioner seeking to cash in on his "investment" is not what guitar is about.

And if anyone wants to bring up how disgruntled they are over the used guitar market corporations are not to blame...its the Pro player all the way down to regular Joe and or a teens fault reselling seeking to milk it and be a Amazon/Whole-Foods/IPhone Borg/Bot.......the used market is where its at thanks to the guitar community as a whole from Pro to Regular Joe alike and by no one elses fault iMO

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    nickmsmith and soulman969 like this.
  8. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talk Member

What the hell is a bot ???

Bob

TIMB, Nokie and Tele like it is like this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Whatever the reason......

Players from Regular Joe and Pro are in charge of used prices being where they are at and no one else......

And this is not what guitar is about IMO when it comes to these used irrationally exuberant prices.....

I get....but guitar is not about this IMO and there is no one else to blame but the Pro Player To Regular Joe Player alike IMO when it comes to current used prices especially given MAP prices remaining stable across the board from all major manufacturers and brands.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    nadzab likes this.
  10. stratfanGB

stratfanGB Strat-Talker

Kid...Your post is so confusing, I have no idea what you are trying to say. You seem to have a problem with individual used buyers, Bots, Amazon, Reverb, the manufactures, E-Bay, Whole Foods and I-Phones. Can you distill your point down to 3 sentences or less?

11. cranky

cranky Strat-O-Master

COVID and GC's bankruptcy have combined to make it damn near impossible to go out and try stuff before buying. That aspect will settle down soon. Most people would, I think, rather pay 10-15% more for new, and the used market will be very saturated soon enough.

Also, the big manufacturers require a lot of capital upfront to be an "authorized dealer". Fender requires something like $60k. Some pedal companies want $2.5-5k. With GC on its knees, it's hard to find either quality or quantity offline.

Fwiw, I used to be intimidated by guitar culture and never set foot in a shop except to buy strings. I'm sure there are plenty of non-bots like me out there who are enabled by the online market, new or used.

But now the jig is up, I know what a bunch of blowhards and tryhards we all are. Calling everyone bots, that's silly.

The-Kid likes this.
  12. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Call me crazy but I personally would feel kinda slimy price gouging someone just because the times say I can.

However if offered $75,000 for my MIM Player strat.....sold!

s5tuart, Hanson, Believer7713 and 5 others like this.
  13. Antstrat

Bag of tuna?

14. Antstrat

I know nothing about bass's but your asking price seems fair to me.

"There’s also a lot of people that think everyone is hurting because of the worlds situation right now and low balling you hard and actually being rude about it."

Agree and I think there's a lot of this going on, people trying to take advantage of those actually hurting.

Namelyguitar and The-Kid like this.
  15. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

This is how you do it and a great example of reselling and being a mindful player IMO to others seeking a good guitar at a good price!!!

Better than decent deal IMo and with patience I dont see you having any problems in selling this guitar! Cheers and best!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Intune likes this.
  16. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right!

Dude... I am so DRUNK now! I had to take a drink every time you said BOT and I don't even know what the h e double hockey sticks you're saying, but WOW am I drunk now!

Gosh darned bots!

17. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Hey if you dont get it the way I explained....

Your probably never going to get it no matter how I explain it..and that's okay by me (*_^)

Tele like it is likes this.
  18. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-O-Master

You expect me to read all that? You're not Stephen King.

Believer7713, Anacharsis and The-Kid like this.
  19. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Hey whatever it takes to get the point across...just watch out for this guy in the used guitar market waters ;)

[​IMG]

Paperback Rocker and diogoguitar like this.
  20. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

It's not just the used online market. Fender hiked their prices and everything on the used market followed.

Right now your seeing people taking advantage of supply and demand.
    Its not just online. Craigslist, offer up. Everything is overpriced.

Did you see the prices of weights when the gyms were closed? 4 dollars a pound.

Hopefully the used guitars market is just inflated right now and will soon taper back.