Recent used prices.....15%-10% lower than new cost or the same or more!?!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by The-Kid, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:36 PM.

1. LTigh

LTigh Strat-Talker

This is why I shop the Japanese market these days. You'll find ridiculous deals on MIJ stuff and even MIA.

The MIM, MII, and MIK stuff is grossly overpriced, though.

Only caveats are don't use fleaBay, be wary of Reverb, and be aware that even in GLORIOUS NIPPON there are those who would take advantage of naive or uninformed buyers to bilk the filthy gaijin for fun and profit, but they're easy to spot if you have some basic knowledge of what you're looking for and what's popular to fake.

Also, it helps to have a couple of Japanese guitar otaku friends on call/email/text msg for questions or coaching on how to navigate proper cultural etiquette with regards to any potential issue with Japanese customer service that results in a successful outcome and not an online sperg-out like you'd often see on some of the sister-forums.

The-Kid likes this.
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Its not just "economics" or supply and demand.....again MsRP and MAP has stayed relatively the same across the board from all manufacturers and brands.

When it comes to used there just are so many Mega Dolphin Flippers with oversized BlowHoles setting prices IMO.......

Too many Borg/Amazon/WholeFoods/IPhone bots just wanting nothing more but to be a part of the sea of other automatons.........

There are other reasons one can point to but these are the main ones for me at the root and core of why, how and where the used market is at now.

3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I sold my lp a month or so back. Kinda glad the prices are up. It helped.
    Now that I'm trying to get something used for a build I'm not as happy about it.
    Just gotta be patient

4. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Are we talking about guitars here or real estate in SoCal lol

Jk but yeah like its a good thing as a seller if you make some extra dough back right at a reasonable price and that's cool.

I'm not looking to buy used but just seeing all the dudes complain about used prices and I understand why they are up in some ways but some of these prices are just insane and well it really sucks for the buyer or player that these prices are just set so insanely high now....this is why I got a new guitar vs anything used. It just didn't make sense to get used and I can see why your holding off in this use market.

And then I saw the guitar I just got like a month ago (Charvel San Dimas, Burgundy-Mist) selling for 1000$ used in the US.....for 1500-1600$ in Japan Ebay used.....

It cost me 850$ new just a month ago.......

Maybe its just a sign of the times but That is just insane!!!!

The only one used I saw for a decent price used was not even used and B Stock/Return at Musicians Friend for 725$ or so.

Getting a good return on gear is one thing and I definitely advice dudes to get the best they can back on their guitar but some of this gear scalping is just crazy.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:03 PM
    Bob the builder likes this.
  5. sameoldblues

sameoldblues Strat-Talker

Supply&demand; I see ppl paying $500 for mim squiers... If sb wants to buy my junk for good money, why not? I am not a "bot"; I do not even have a social media account. 1) Fender has been increasing the prices of its electric lines steadily over the last few years; 2) Covid situation inspired bunch of ppl who never played an instrument before buy guitars, and they chose the brands they were familiar with such as Fender and Gibson. Result: Fender had its best year in terms of sales in 2020 (yes, since Leo Fender launched it). I believe, in 2-3 years, there will be loooads of minty Fenders in the used market which will drive prices down, back to normal; 3) the inflation is real; happens when you hand millions loads of cash.

edit: For example, check JHS Vintage v6 series, decent budget strat clones; no changes in the pricing of these guitars... used or brand new... Fender is capitalizing on its brand because brand mitigates the lack of information on the value of a product, which means a lot more to ppl who don't know what an electric guitar is about... It goes like "Oh look this Fender guitar says Squier series on the headstock and it is not made in China, it is Mexican, close enough to Cali; doesn't clapton play a fender strat? here, take my $500 stimulus dinero for this fine vintage instrument"... All is well...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:25 PM
  6. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Some people see a musical instrument, others just see dollar signs.

I believe it’s that simple.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  7. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

1. Being a bot has nothing to do with whether someone has a social media account.

2. Fender and all major manufacturers and brands have kept pricing relatively the same during covid.

3. Bots will be bots and the more there are the more this used market is going to grow and remain longer than expected or become the new normal. Its not Fenders fault or some companies fault.....its the Amazon/WholeFoods/Iphone/Borg/Bots for setting the prices they set their prices at....just being one of many automatons doing their bot thing.

8. sameoldblues

Fender did increase its prices even before facing this demand surge
    And again, whatever "bot" means, I am not it.

Paperback Rocker and J4ME5 like this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

I didn't say Fender didn't increase prices. I said Fender and major manufacturers and brands across the board have kept prices relatively the same compared to insane over inflated used prices we see now.

Again don't blame Fender or some company.....

Look at the bots in the guitar community. They set prices in the used market not companies.

10. sameoldblues

https://offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118582
    https://www.guitarscanada.com/threads/huge-fender-price-increase-coming-tomorrow.19983/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/fender-price-increase.2224454/
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/why-all-the-threads-complaining-about-fender-price-increases.1061818/
    edit: Fender did increase the prices again in 2021, in fact they would be stupid not to do that, the demand is officially 50% more than the supply

11. sameoldblues

Here the CEO himself boasts with the great performance and how they can't keep up with the demand. I am sorry it is not the "bots" or the boogeymen. It just good old supply and demand.

Blackmore Fan and J4ME5 like this.
  12. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

No, no – you are a 'Mega Dolphin Flipper' with an 'oversized blowhole' that wants 'nothing more but to be a part of the sea of other automatons', that's what you are – and that's what you want. You are not entitled to make any money, even though the price of EVERYTHING has been steadily increasing for years – you must personally forfeit any amount extra you might make – you MUST sell for less, and pass the savings on to 'musicians' and 'players' – because you are not really a 'player' – you are a 'Bot', a 'Mega Dolphin Flipper' – and you do not have the right to try and recoup as much of your wealth as is fair and reasonable – you are 'milking the situation hard', and inflation – increasing wages, increased factory running costs, increased material costs, selling fees – shipping fees, postage and packaging – a global pandemic, the ever-increasing cost of EVERYTHING – is YOUR fault, you... big... 'Mega Dolphin Flipper' with an 'oversized blowhole' that wants 'nothing more but to be a part of the sea of other automatons' you!

The next time you go to sell an instrument, and DARE think about getting a fair price for it – just remember that 'the spirit of guitar is in it for the love of playing and appreciating the instrument and the art.' – YOU must personally take a hit that is MORE than what is reasonable and fair, so that REAL 'players' – like the OP – not 'Bots' like you, can appreciate 'the instrument and the art.'.

'Bots' – indeed.

13. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Call it what you want.

Regular players to pros in the guitar community set these outrages used prices not companies.

14. sameoldblues

Yeah, that is called demand, not "bots". Ppl looking for new hobbies they can pursue at home because of Covid, but they will give up and I will collect many "stimuluscasters" in a few years for cheap...

Bob the builder, J4ME5 and The-Kid like this.
  15. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talk Member

90% sure this whole thread is a troll attempt by OP. Who types/talks like that in the real world?

But, for the sake of argument ill play along! (lemmie get in the op's mindset)

It seems to me like the op is suggesting we all band together and drop used prices by selling our gear like 30% lower than everyone else.

Regardless of whether or not people who can't afford it would be potentially taking a loss.

If you dont agree YOUR a BOT!!!

Well I asK you this OP(if that is you're real name)! How the heck do Dolphins use a computer?

i dont see how they could use reverb/ebay/musicgoround/letgo/fbmp/standonthesideoftheroad with there flippers!

UNLESS you no somthin we dont.....but only one man could know something like that!

The CEO of Amazon...........MARK ZUCKERBERG!

J4ME5 and The-Kid like this.
  16. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

All I'm saying is the used market would do great without so many Flippers/Dolphins like there is now who set these crazy prices.

PS I get all my info from this guy and no one else. He's pretty keen to know when something is pretty nuts.

[​IMG]

ukoldgit likes this.
  17. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

UK guitar prices since lockdown have gone dopey, haven't bought a used guitar since December 2020, at current prices your better off buying new Harley Bentons:confused:

The-Kid likes this.
  18. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Reverb is a joke. When they raised their rates I quit putting any stuff up on Reverb for sale. When the few things I do have posted are gone I won’t be putting anything else up on reverb. I like real relic’d guitars and real guitar stores.

The-Kid likes this.
  19. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Over here it's the buyer's market.

The-Kid likes this.