Recent used prices.....15%-10% lower than new cost or the same or more!?!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by The-Kid, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:36 PM.

1. Jaysmay

Jaysmay Strat-Talk Member

Try buying new golf clubs. 7A0036C9-6609-479B-B08F-B9254DC9E787.jpeg

The-Kid likes this.
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

2021.....Welcome to the age of the GuitarBots :)

Jaysmay likes this.
  3. Jaysmay

Jaysmay Strat-Talk Member

In 2008-2009 I bought several Strats and a Tele at market prices... For a example a new 2006 Strat from a closing store for $650, a 2006 mint 54 Strat Thin Skin for $900. Not what I wanted after all.

I sold all my guitars and 3 amps on CL and all sold in 1-3 days. I kept a Martin 28HDv, 2004 deluxe Strat, and a 2008 Les Paul std. Keepers.

I do want to get a 57 Custom Champ. On back order. I ordered a 62 RI Thin Skin Tele and 62 RI Thin Skin Strat from Daves a few months ago. They think they'll be in in August.

My dad had to fight in the Pacific in WWII... This is nothing.

little_wing142 and The-Kid like this.
  4. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Gear-Scalpers....

GuitarBots.....

Dolphins/Flippers......

Call it what you want!!!!

IMO current ridiculous used prices are where they are at thanks to the players selling them and setting them at these stupid prices everyone complains about.

Jaysmay likes this.
  5. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Come on... show us the guitar you're looking at!? Let's see it? Let's see why you're REALLY on this crusade!! A Fiesta Red Strat – if I were to guess? Why don't you just make him a better offer? Or hold out, and see if he drops his price? Or sell something?

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

I'm not looking at any to be honest....got a new Charvel San Dimas a month ago given these stupid prices in the used market to be honest and could not be happier.

Just kind of annoyed at the same time by all the dudes complaining about used prices mainly.......

supply and demand, supply chain issues...companies raising prices slightly....."basic economics"

Again if people are happy with the current used market.....again thank the players selling them and setting them at these stupid prices.

And on that note to me in a sense giving an honest counter to my argument and grievance.....buy new or just "low ball" sellers selling crap at these stupid prices because IMO its not low balling at these ridiculous prices sending out an offer(especially when compared to current MAP prices), its just seeking a fair price but short of that don't buy used and go for new given current used market conditions IMo.

Also props on the roasting laughed pretty hard at myself and I need that sometimes and thanks for providing a good and sound opposing view point I just feel given everyone's complaining as a community about this its like....let's be real....it may not be the sole reason but no one else is in charge of these stupid used prices but players , to regular joe or pro setting them and selling them at these ridiculous prices @J4ME5

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 4:21 PM
    ukoldgit and J4ME5 like this.
  7. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I DO agree that prices are CRAZY, and much of what you say – but I just think that's the new reality – EVERYTHING has gone up, money is becoming worthless! A fifty is the new twenty – 10 is the new 5, the years are moving on – and prices are moving with them, in my opinion.

I have NEVER made a penny selling a guitar – I lose EVERY time, I expect to – I accept it, but... I don't know if you are aware – buying from Reverb, and eBay... – the sellers are EXTORTED from these companies. If I sell a practically new €1750 (new price) guitar on Reverb – for €1500, by the time the guitar is shipped – and the fees are removed, I might – if I'm lucky – receive €1250!

So – while the buyer IS paying 'only' 10-15% off new prices, the seller is actually not receiving anywhere near the amount the buyer has paid.

It's sh*t for everyone – not just buyers! I don't want to fall out with anyone buddy, it's just – as somebody who has sold quite a few guitars in the last while – and losing A LOT on each sale, I feel obliged to stick up for the private small-time, player-seller – I feel their pain immensely. I am a player, first and foremost – I don't care about making money, but I know the work that goes into selling an instrument online – and the costs associated with it! Big stores can deal with these losses – it is soul destroying for normal people like me. Anyway – :) !!

Cerb and The-Kid like this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Proff Mummery was cool but he was a hard ass.....my main Econ Proff at college or one of few Business Proffs I would actually write notes for in Econ.

Dude said once "if I catch you with a phone once I will give you a warning.....twice and I will ask you to leave "

And as politely as he could or I have seen anyone do, if he caught you....not just once but twice he would ask you to kindly leave...and it happened.....I never did that......

"If you're late 5 minutes don't worry the doors will be locked until break time.....don't knock because I and we are going to just stare and point at the window and laught at you"

Unfortunately this happened to me the day before finals and getting notes for the study guide, not the pointing and laughing but just being late as I didn't go knock the door (on a side note: this would happen to others when they knocked and were late and the whole class would point and laugh pretty hard).....Proff Mummery just said "you should have knocked I would have let you in, its finals and you need the study guide, I understand :)" and he gave me a copy of the study guide and answered all my questions........

I was one of two students out of 125+ students to get the M2 and M1 money supply question right even though its basic as hell and Ivy kids could not figure it out or understand it....basically an increase for one may be an increase in supply for another supply but not always or the other way around.

I confidently feel I understand the basic, fundamentals of economics and well given the prices of MSRP/MAP set by manufacturers and brands vs used prices set by players......regular joes to pros...

What gives with many being a Amazon/Dolphin/Flipper/WholeFoods/Iphone-Bot!?!?! Who does that benefit....no one IMO. Why be a GuitarBot??????......

Right, there is this apparent "do-gooder", "all-truistic" vibe across the community....

And when it comes down to it......where is that...... where is that spirit and goodwill to the little guy....this all-truistic and good will vibe by whatever angle or measure you want to take it from, from anyone not wanting to be "the bad guy".....

Is this just abandoned by the community at large reflected by current used prices IMO?

No, players and guitarist are better than being bots and while this may be a trend for whatever reason I know , maybe sooner than later this will go back "to normal" it just sucks seing this, played out the way it is by people and seeing this windmill blow the way its blowing whatever the reason may be and I hope people realize after a while.....hey maybe I shouldn't be a bot......."I want this to go to a good place and offer a price I would be happy with"....

I feel deep down inside thats what many people will do in the end. I may be wrong in thinking a vast majority want that or feel the same on some level and well thats what I hope and feel in the end and I don't think there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 5:51 PM
    J4ME5 likes this.
  9. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

The last guitar I sold was on eBay with a 99p starting price and no reserve. It sold for much more than I would have advertised it for. That’s all down to the buyers...

10. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

Pricing is all over the place right now, but noticeably higher overall. I continue to make reasonable offers. If others want to buy at crazy prices, that’s their choice.

I am confident that pricing will return to normal once people loose interest in their pandemic purchases.

The-Kid likes this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Sell/Buy more on the forums.....buy from your local mom and pops or even GC and Sam Ash or online if its a good price or as in Musicians Friends case, selling used at a reasonable price being the only one selling a Used/B-Stock San Dimas Burgundy Mist with Ebony board and Floyd at a decent price of 725$ or so vs independent Dolphin/Flipper sellers (regular-joe/pro players) on Reverb and EBay for $1000 all the way up to $1500 plus shipping and taxes..

And this is just a micro example of the macro issue and problem in the used market with prices set from regular Joes to Pros on the vast majority........from Squiers to Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanez whatever.....

IMO make a "low ball" offer to such Dolphins/Flippers however ridiculous it may be because lets be honest these prices are stupid and ridiculous compared to NEW/MAP/MSRP prices.......

Otherwise dont buy used if it can't be had for a fair price relative to MAP/MSRP/NEW....and just buy a MAP/MSRP/NEW guitar if possible from your fave Mom and Pop or GC/Sam-Ash, online or look for a good deal on this forum from cool people.

IMO any player is much better off taking any of these suggestions or routes mentioned....

Because these used prices set by whatever players are selling and setting them at in the used market are just nuts/stupid plain and simple and it does not take an Einstein or a Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out IMO.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 7:54 PM
  12. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Right on but really dont mean to fully put this issue on the shoulders of Reverb and Mega Corps GC/Musicians Friend/Whatever....

But damn when the Mega Corps and these guys everyone easily uses as a scapegoat aren't to blame for these used prices as they arent in charge of them or have control over it and as in Musicians Friends case actually offers a more fair price for used stuff for players than regular Joe or Pro dudes..........

Who do we have to point the finger at for that one?

Like from a Pro to a regular Joe I know this may seem beyond peoples control but I dont feel like that....you....me....people and players have a choice not to be so concrete/corporate.....we have a choice not to be greedy.....we are not corporations.......WE ARE PEOPLE....NOT BOTS........ And we'll given that even though there is a good excuse to raise prices....

If the corps and mega manufacturers/brands havent done it.....why should regular joe/pro player do that?????!?!?!

This is why I say hey....if you encounter this....buy new....buy from a local mom and pop...a mega Corp....a Luthier....a forum ....used or new as long as you a get fair and decent price and avoid these crazy prices set by regular joes or pro dudes who sell and set them that way.

Whoever it may be you get gear from......

Dont buy from these Dolphins/Flippers

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 7:45 PM
  13. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Its not just "supply and demand" or anything that has to do with peoples interest when it comes this issue on the used market IMO, as said given used prices set from regular Joe to Pro.........its just PURE GREED at this point IMO when it comes to these stupid prices especially when compared to NEW/MSRP/MAP or used prices from cool dudes at Forums, Mom and Pops, GC/Sam-Ash or online from Musicians Friend to SweetWater even..........

Props and with a fair price I am sure you will have no problems in selling gear and making sure it goes to a good home and player who will cherish and appreciate gear!

Cheers and best!!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 8:54 PM
  14. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

What the market will bear, something something..
    Caveat Emptor something something...

The-Kid likes this.
  15. Bern1

Bern1 Strat-Talk Member

I actually read all the pages in this thread! The subject is interesting and the times are strange. I admit I have overpaid for guitars on occasion, sometimes you just have to pull the trigger if it’s exactly what you want. It’s not just guitars now, it’s everything. Motorcycles and cars for example, two other things I’m involved with currently on the used market. I have not sold any music gear in the last few years. I am looking for a couple of guitars, but I laugh at these prices. Nobody is making me pay a price if I don’t think the item is worth it.

Fed freshly printed money is flooding all asset markets. I think it is as simple as that. The cure will be just as simple: once inflation kicks in for necessities and not just guitars, I think you’ll find used gear prices back down....maybe even lower than they have ever been......

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  16. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

You clearly don't get this. When it comes to what people do with money, "basic economics" IS "the basics". That's what economics is--the study of how markets (like the guitar market) behave. That "behavior" is performed by humans--you don't get to say the equivalent of "economics doesn't explain it" while simultaneously berating human *behavior* that is clearly and cleanly predicted by "economics".

17. Blackmore Fan

How is the concept of supply and demand "political"?

18. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I’m gonna simplify this thread:

See something you like? You’re ok with the price? Buy it.

See something you like? You’re not ok with the price? Don’t buy it.

Some things in life are that simple.

19. Blackmore Fan

We call the buyers of those used guitars....wait for it..."demand". "Demand" for just about anything *rises* when more cash is dumped into an economy. Now, adjust for "supply" equals...wait for it..."Supply and demand setting the market price for a good and service."

Its basic economics, and nothing more. It was *entirely* predictable to anyone who was paying attention.

20. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Basics are basic, it makes so much sense when you put it like that.

Thanks for sharing that and clearly explaining your point of view.