Recent used prices.....15%-10% lower than new cost or the same or more!?!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by The-Kid, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:36 PM.

1. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

It’s not, unless someone asserts that government policy is orchestrating it:

The-Kid likes this.
  2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

We can't discuss a money topic and pretend that the money magically grew on a beanstalk. It came from somewhere. Decisions were made to create it. Decisions were made that crimped supply of goods and services as well.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  3. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

So for whatever reason its happening lets say its what you say and its not just people being plain greedy/GuitarBots, and taking an opportunity....

What makes sellers pricing and setting these stupid prices under any margin okay......when even corporations like GC, Sam Ash, Musicians Friend, SweetWater etc etc sell the same used gear for a fair and decent price compared to the same gear regular joe is selling used?!?!?!

What makes that okay?!?!! Thats the new standard.....Selling gear used for 50% to 100% more than what it cost for new or used?!?!?!

Thanks for showing me how to sell used gear.

Thats okay now?!?!? Selling used gear more than what it cost for new!?!?!

Damn again props and thanks for teaching me something new.........

Your wisdom is much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 9:50 PM
  4. Blackmore Fan

Its called the principle of "substitution". That principle says that a new television, as one example, is not solely dependent on the supply and pricing of just television sets. If home stereos, movie theater tickets, and other entertainment options have a shift in THEIR supply and pricing curves, those curves will influence the price and demand for television sets. In this instance, the supply of new gear has been curtailed significantly--thus, the demand for the "substitute" of used instruments is destined to rise...and with it..the price of those used instruments.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  5. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Strat-Talk Member

I see the listed prices on some sites, but they don't bother me. By and large they aren't real to me. I can always find what I want at the price I want to pay.

This year I've sold a Marshall and a Fender at about 65% of what I paid for them a year ago. Just bought a 2016 GLP Studio for 59% of its 2016 price. Those are fair prices. Fair prices are out there. You have to know where to find them and you have to pull the trigger.

I wanted a Marshall 10" slant cab about 4 months ago. Reverb has had one listed at like $246 for a long time. I found one being sold with a Kustom 5 watt tube head for a bit over half that. So I probably paid $60 for the cab.

It's easy to generalize when one is only window shopping. If one is serious about buying something at a fair price it can be done.

Gardner and Blackmore Fan like this.
  6. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Principle of substitution!?!?!?

Wow so what is the key word to focus on here?!?!

Is it Principle or is it Substitution? Or do they both mean the same thing and are interchangable?

Thats an interesting way of explaining your point of view. I have never heard of this or was aware of how important it was or it is apparently.

Can one say its a "Substitution Principle" or "Substitution of Principles" in a way or is the proper term "Principle of Substitution"? Very interesting and the more you know. Learn something new every day.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 10:09 PM
  7. Blackmore Fan

Absolutely. And what was a crazy price a year ago may or may not be crazy to somebody shopping today. I've had a great run at work lately and had some spare funds sitting around one weekend. I wanted a new Strat, but nothing fit the bill at Guitar Center or any of the few online sites I check from time to time. So I paid a "crazy" price of $525 for a almost-never played spotless Black MIM Strat that was perfectly setup and came with a case. Did I "overpay"? Not to me--I had the funds and wanted a new-to-me Strat. Mission accomplished. I've played it a *lot* the last few weeks. To me (and me alone), the "extra" $100 I may have paid for it was worth it versus waiting on some mythical correctly priced guitar that wasn't available for purchase.

Tell me I paid too much for it, or that the seller was greedy:

Black Strat.jpg

The-Kid and PaulHikeS2 like this.
  8. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Strat-Talk Member

That's about the right price. Maybe $25-$50 too much for me, but still fair for both buyer and seller. Nice find!

The-Kid and Blackmore Fan like this.
  9. Blackmore Fan

Here's an independent explanation of it that invokes real estate and laundry detergent as examples:

https://earltoms.com/principle-of-substitution/

The-Kid likes this.
  10. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  11. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

A lot of first time buyers bought guitars because of Covid.
    Guitars are notoriously difficult instruments to learn, so I predict many of those same people are going to dump these guitars, and used prices should go down. Just gotta be patient.

The-Kid likes this.
  12. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

And those same people were probably expecting some sort of instant gratification..........

The-Kid and Sarnodude like this.
  13. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Is your enter button jamming?

I've never seen such spaces between sentences....

Kester, The-Kid and bluejazzoid like this.
  14. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

No, prices are where they are because someone is paying those prices - or at the very least, negotiating with people asking those prices. It would stop otherwise.

The-Kid likes this.
  15. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

This thread ---along with being difficult to read--- is really just a big rant, isn't it? To be clear: we're not talking about things people actually need.... we're talking about guitars, pedals and amps, etc. Besides, the truth is most people selling used gear are doing so because they want to:
    1. Make money
    2. Make money and buy more gear
    3. Keep making money and buying more gear
    But that doesn't necessarily make them greedy. Suggesting that sellers are greedy, wrong, bots, evil, etc., because they are pricing things so high is really a misdiagnosis of the problem -- BUYERS being willing to accept high prices is the problem.

No matter what Joe GreedyGear says his "modded squire" is worth, nobody has to pay what he's asking.

Martins Strat, Anacharsis and The-Kid like this.
  16. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

It takes two to tango but yeah buyers buying all this crap at these stupid used prices is a part of it. And not saying don't buy used, obviously if you come across a good used deal take it but at these other crazy prices maybe not so much.

I guess one can't blame the sellers for wanting to make the most out of their gear and well one can't really blame the buyers buying used gear at these prices for not caring themselves and just paying up to these crazy used prices. If everyone's doing it now and selling and buying them this way its not that crazy I guess.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 11:18 AM
  17. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

I mean I hope people keep playing and are into it, thats pretty cool I think but yeah, these used prices.

This is what happens when there are more fish in the pond or the pond gets smaller.....or not sure how you want to look at it ....both at the same time lol !?!!?!

I guess its hard to understand and put the finger on it. Its not all sellers or buyers fault, its just some stupid thing happening and we are all along for the ride. There's only so much stuff. There are more players wanting stuff than there is stuff to go around now more than ever.....

[​IMG]

But still watch out for these guys. Flippers/Dolphins appear harmless and inviting with that pretty smile but be careful buying a used 1200$ guitar from one when you can have the same one new at MOm and pop, SweetWater, Musicians Friend for 900$ or used at Musicians Friend for example for 700$. Look into the void of those ruthless, shrewd and maniacal Flipper/Dolphin eyes and just say no.

Bad Dolphin!!!! NO!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:27 PM
  18. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Most local stores are out of stock. I stopped at guitar center close to me for strings and it had maybe 8 new guitars to chose from.
    The 2 guitars I looked at for the heck of it were played to **** already.
    The store looked like it was closing.

The-Kid likes this.
  19. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

This is true, a lot of places are like this but a lot of times a used guitar from Random Joe Seller is selling for a higher price or close to the same or the same price as a new in stock item .......

Why buy from Random Joe Gear-Scalper when the same one can be had new or used at a lower price from one of the big corps, Mom and pop, Forums!?!?!

A lot of new prices are better than what the used market offers from these Gear Scalpers.

A Mom and Pops or a Mega Corps used section like GC/ Sam- Ash/Musicians Friend/SweetWater offers better prices than what these other Dolphin/Flippers from regular joe to Pro are offering and setting them at.

I mean I guess thats the main thing I dont understand or is hard to understand and well again to the young or the old kids looking at used guitars, get a good reasonable deal and look for that but just say no to Dolphins/Flippers and these ridiculous used prices they set especially when you can get the same for lower prices used or in some cases lower prices new at a Mom and Pop, a Forum or one of the Mega Corps....and yes again even Mega Corps like GC, Musicians Friend, Sam-Ash or Sweetwater offer better prices used or new compared to the current used market set by these other Dolphin\Flippers....who would of thought they would be less of a bot than many of these dudes independently setting these stupid prices.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 1:04 PM
  20. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

The-Kid likes this.