Reclaimed Pine Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ian Ashdown, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

guitarchaeologist and jbylake like this.
  2. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

someone way overpaid for that

fos1 likes this.
  3. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

Really? Why do you say that? I drove up the price! ;)

I’m not disagreeing, I just wonder. . . . What would you say the right price should be? The guy selling it is in a tough spot so hopefully the sale helped him out!

Ian
    SoCal

4. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I though Fender was making guitar's waaaaaaaay! back in the day, out of Pine, and determined that they were too soft and dinged easily in the stores, on display? Maybe one of you experts can correct me if I'm wrong.

Baelzebub likes this.
  5. StratUp

StratUp Strat-Talker

There are lots of varieties of pine... Southern yellow pine is hard enough to be used for floors, although it's still a lot softer than most hardwoods and many other pines.

"True pine has a Janka rating of 1570, Carribean heart pine is 1280, red pine is 1630, longleaf southern yellow pine is 870, both shortleaf and loblolly southern yellow pine are 690, white pine is 420, and eastern white pine ranks in at 380.

As a comparison: "Ash (White) 1,320 lbf;American Beech 1,300 lbf; Red Oak (Northern) 1,290 lbf; Caribbean Heart Pine 1,280 lbf;"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

All that said, I don't know what pine Fender used if they ever did.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    s5tuart and jbylake like this.
  6. StratUp

StratUp Strat-Talker

I would have thought a "reclaimed pine from barn" strat would show a lot more "barn" character.

If you're willing to spend that kind of money, how about having someone here make you a guitar from some reclaimed barn boards? Or just a body, and you parts-caster the rest?

Tele like it is likes this.
  7. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right!

And we have a winner! Do this!

8. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

9. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

I have an original 1978 Gibson ‘The Paul’ and thought this Strat might be a good partner. I like the story of Fender cutting the bodies from a barn door built in 1868, but the guitar is nicely finished, just with some character in the wood, knots etc.

If one comes up at the right price I’ll think about it then. If not . . .Oh well.

Ian

10. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

The final price plus his massive shipping cost plus tax you're close to $2k. This is a contemporary american standard strat with a pine body. Pine even 100 year old barn pine is not rare. to each his own

11. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

I’m local to the seller so there would be no shipping. I hoped that might be my advantage!

Ian

12. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-O-Master

I made some like that one, strats and teles, reclaimed pine, keeping the holes or cracks...
    Might go again, who knows...

Attached Files:

13. BradL

BradL Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Guitars made from old bits of driftwood,barn doors/walls, bridges etc. appeal to the eye -being natural relics as it were. However they often come with hefty price tags that don't appeal to the wallet.

14. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Strat-O-Master

JUst on reclaimed wood - we had an acoustic parlor guitar made for my daughter by a local custom builder. He said all the body wood is reclaimed and probably over 100 years old. The neck was made from a Piano leg that he split and inserted contrasting wood. The sides of the headstock still has the piano finish. Guitar sounds better every year and always gets compliments. Dude gave us a lifetime warranty - his lifetime probably - he's an older hippie dude. When the neck got weird he kept it a week and fixed it free just as he promised. And it was only llike $300 10 years ago. He builds whatever you want, from acooustics to strats. His specialty is bizarre basses. Wishbass.