recomended pedals\amps

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by stratfloyd, Jul 27, 2008.

1. stratfloyd

stratfloyd Strat-Talk Member

just got a very nice strat, its an '03 arctic white with a white pickguard
    (with "whammy" bar)
    got it yesterday, still had the plastic on it
    could only find a tiny scratch on the bottom right

came with professional set-up, so it sounds awesome :D

like playing mostly pink floyd, pink floyd sounding things, blues and cream sounding things, and sometimes some nirvana and sublime

any recommendations for amps\pedals, without "breaking the bank"

2. stratfloyd

oh yeah, got it for $400

3. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

stratfloyd,

how do you want to use the amp? home practice? gigs? depending on what you want to use the amp with and what effects/sounds it has built in will help determine what kind of effects. If you already have an amp, what do you have?

bob

4. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Fuzz and a Delay...

I like my Fulltone 70 for a fuzz, but it's kinda pricey (150 or so). I think the Voodoo Labs Superfuzz is a good one as well as the Dunlops. All a little less expensive and can be had on eBay. Fuzz'll get you the cream sound and if you get a decent one will clean up nicely as well.

For delay? Digital will give you longer more accurate repeats which would be more Gilmore-like. The Boss DD-3 should get you there, for a not too pocket emptying price, but there are others out there. Some of the newer ones like the Eventide or the Line6 stuff gets very good reviews, but you can quickly drop massive dollars.

As for amp? well, like Bob began asking... There're a lot of options and alternatives

Welcome to the addiction.....

5. stratfloyd

thanks =) i dont plan on going cold turkey any time soon

just home practice for now

6. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

home practice amp... well, you can't go wrong with a Roland Cube. Good sounds and very versatile. If I didn't already have an amp i would have bought one. When I was looking for a practice amp it was important for me to find something that very good clean sounds. I could either get an amp with a lot of bells and whistles or buy a simple amp and shape the sound with pedals/fx. I have a simple amp set up and a few pedals that I really like.

I really like the Blues Driver that I modded. Along with that, a DD-3, RV-3 and TU-2 tuner, I am a pretty happy guy.

Basically, go to your local shops and try as many different kinds of amps and pedals as you like. When you find what you like, then buy it. Knowing what you want and how much to spend is always a good way to start.

Oh yeah, some folks say that the amp is even more important that the guitar for good tone.

Cheers!

Bob

7. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

I'm a big fan of the Super Champ XD by fender for a nice small practice amp that actually can scale up to live playing with a less then huge loud drummer. Is got a few built-in effects, but they're so-so... but the amp itself is pretty darn good for just under 3 bills.

If it's too loud see if you can score a vibro champ at just under 250 bucks it's sweet as well.

8. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

Over a year ago I bought a VOX AD30VT (30 watts, solid-state pre-amp/tube power amp, 1x10" speaker, approx 250$-280$), and it has been a dream come true... I swore I'd never get a modeling amp, but this one is unlike any other modeling amp I've ever played! Honestly, for the price, I don't think you can go wrong (and it comes in different sizes if 30 watts is not your fancy).

-gcc

9. jmasin

jmasin Strat-Talker

As far as pedals, I only have 2, a wah and the TS-9. I couldn't live without the TS-9. I've had it for 15 years, and other than swallowing batteries, it's great. It's a great "blues" pedal IMHO and sounds great through my Bassman (i.e. a clean amp).

Cheers.

10. djinn1973

djinn1973 New Member!

For an inexpensive blues overdrive its hard to beat a Bad Monkey.

11. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Yeah, them little suckers jump around from branch to branch fast-like... you gotta be quick with the bat!

Sorry couldn't resist....

12. terminal3

terminal3 Strat-Talker

you gotta have a univibe clone of some sort to do gilmour tones, that first chord to 'breathe' won't sound the same without it.

personally, I use a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe Jr. I think Dunlop makes the cheapest ones, but I've heard they don't sound that hot. might be worth listening to some demos online and then seeing if you can audition a few in a shop.

13. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey Strat-Talker

I've lot's of stuff in my rig, but the other day when I needed to head to a short notice jam, I grabbed, almost sub-consciously:
    Crybaby
    TS9
    Bixonic Expandora II
    Blues Jr
    So I guess that covered all my bases from Crossroads to Hey Joe, with a bit of Tush!
    You won't go wrong with any of those items.:)

14. stratfloyd

thanks guys =D

15. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

I've mentioned this elsewhere but you just can't beat an OCD by Fulltone driving a good tube amp. Love this pedal and it's the only one I have...........

16. raf66

raf66 Strat-Talker

I second gcconspiracy's recommendation of the Vox AD30VT. I've had mine about a year and a half and it sounds great. It's got tubes (I think in the preamp stage, not sure) so it's got a nice warm sound to it. Plus some of the amp models are so good you likely won't even need a pedal, except of course if you want to switch channels.

17. gcconspiracy

raf66,

thanks for the seconding! I always love finding other Valvetronix fans. I've had mine for almost 2 years now, and I have yet to find another amp as economical, warm, versatile, and portable! I still can't get over the tone I get out of my vox compared to others solid-state amps in the same price range. I've finally found an amp in my price range that I can honestly say I'd replace in a heart-beat!

-gcc

PS - as for where the tube is in the signal path, I've been doing some research on the vox website, and I think it is actually in the power-amp (although it is amplified further by a solid state circuit of some sort)... Kind of confusing stuff, as I'm not too technically minded; all I need to know is my amp has the tone I love!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  18. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I've just come upon one of the baby vox's. an AD15vt. It's by far the best "practice" amp I've had.

19. Kuroyama

Kuroyama Strat-Talker

Boss SD-1 (Super Overdrive). Buttery, Crunchy, not too hard on the wallet, and apparently a popular platform for modding. I run it into a Marshall AVT20 I like everything about that amp except that it has no footswitch... which has become a bit of a dealbreaker lately...

But like the others have said... you gotta take your guitar to the store and TRY it with the pedal and amp you want. Different combinations will sound different. So you want to try the closest combo to what youll play at home. (Which again, means either taking your guitar to the shop, or using the same model from their stock)

Good luck searching. Youll likely find this search to lead you to buying many many pedals and amps over time. Sorry. Thats just how it is. Aint no cure 'cept ta buy more gear.

20. gcconspiracy

Just got a bad monkey for Christmas... now I know what all the hype is about!!! The tone is amazing, and the bottom end is more than sufficient... Definitely worth the very low asking price!