Recommendations on a new Strat. Deluxe or Standard ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by edsdds, Mar 29, 2018.

1. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

So I want to just have one nice stratocaster that is playable and comfortable and preferably stock ready to go. I am kind of down to American standard with maple or American deluxe. Most likely going used since I don’t have too much to spend. What are your thoughts on the American deluxe let’s say from 2005 or so? If I recall those have some of the most comfortable necks round. Is that just because of the craftsmanship or because the neck is actually slightly shaped different or narrower?

I think I want to go HSS configuration I don’t mind the idea of a set of noiseless on it but that’s not a dealbreaker. From what I have seen if I search online for used guitars the best prices are showing up as Guitar Centers used inventory. Has that been the same with you guys ? I live in Minnesota so the used deals on craigslist seem insane. When I lived in Los Angeles obviously I could find a deal in 15 minutes out here I’m gonna have to go online.

The other option which is kind of completely on the other end is getting a Sergio Vallin signature guitar. I actually like the group that he plays with and been to their concerts many times. The guitar is definitely not a Strat but might fit the bill.

Figured I would check with you guys on maybe what years of Strats I should avoid. I know when you buy a used guitar online especially in a fender there is the risk of modifications and things that are not right. But before I drop $900 I always seek expert advice here.

2. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

The Standard and Deluxe are different beasts, in many ways. No one can tell you which is better for you, you would have to put your hands on them.

The 2010 and newer Deluxe have a compound radius neck, which to me (I have a 2012 DLX) is the most comfortable and playable Strat neck ever made.
    The DLX also has a contoured neck heel, a slightly different shape body, locking tuners and other things that differentiate it from the Standard.

The Fender Noiseless pick ups are really good, though they do require a different thought process when dialing in tones, but its a small learning curve, nothing you wont master in a single sit down.

Be wary if buying the Deluxe Plus, unless you plan on gutting the guitar and replacing the electronics. The "Personality Card" equipped Plus models are the deadest sounding Strats Ive ever had the displeasure of playing.

Guitar Center has a no questions asked 45 day return policy (I bought my DLX from their website) so its a no risk venture.

The-Kid, 1980 and ocean like this.
  3. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

For the years you're asking about, I would go with the Deluxe.

Best friend from kindergarten on got an early graduation present of an '89 Plus Deluxe. Pewter with white, silver Lace Sensors, roller nut, locking tuners, matte HW- basically what Clapton was playing at the time without the golds and mid boost control.

Sweetest playing guitar I'd ever held until I bought my hardtail natural.

So much so that I have saved searches looking for that model.

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    In recent years I played both the Fender Deluxe and Standard side-by-side and personally would choose the old school single coil sound myself.

I'm not saying this to dissuade you, but do highly recommend that you play both before buying... my 2 cents worth (and worth every penny ;))!

Good Luck!

`

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    TheDuck likes this.
  5. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

Thanks for the replies. I just worn yo GC and check out a few standards they had there. Must be the cold winter weather here but most had razor sharp feet edges. Easy fix but I will make sure I ask questions first before I buy online.

Good to know about the plus model.

So did the deluxe models since the noiseless era always have noiseless until now ? Meaning noiseless then somarian cobalt then N3 etc etc ?

I think a standard with two fat 50s and a HB would do just fine.

So far the one think I have narrowed it down for sure is a maple neck. Solid color preferably.

But I think I will rule out Music Go Round they seem to ask the world for prices and nothing seems setup ever.

6. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

American Standard! Can't go wrong there. :)

Here's some MIA Standard maple love for ya ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

[QUOTEBe wary if buying the Deluxe Plus, unless you plan on gutting the guitar and replacing the electronics. The "Personality Card" equipped Plus models are the deadest sounding Strats Ive ever had the displeasure of playing[/QUOTE]

Really? I have been researching that model for the last month extensively and have literally not heard one professional reviewer say anything bad about it. Was it embraced by the public? No. Does that make it a bad guitar? No. I’ve played many a crappy Strat hanging on the wall at one shop or another, it never occurred to me to categorize them all as dead or bad because of that. Guitars are a case by case thing. You rule out an entire model based on your limited experience. It’s irresponsible and short sighted to give that kind of advice. The original posted could get an EXCELLENT deal on a Plus model and be very happy...along with his wallet!

vid1900 likes this.
  8. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Those are both great but man that shoreline gold is hot!!

79 Strat and arcticstrat like this.
  9. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Probably the best Strat of the modern era is the Deluxe Plus.

It has a Compound Radius neck that lets you set the action super low, plays like a dream.

It has the N3 Noiseless pickups, a breath of fresh air - especially for live gigging.

Maybe the best feature is the "Personality Cards". They not effects, but instant rewiring on the fly.

So if you ever want to turn your humbucker into a single coil, you swap in the "Splitter" card and in 1 second you have 3 single coil pickups without soldering.

Or if you want one tone control to be bass and one treble, or if you want to be able to blend different pickups together.

Several different Treble Bleed wirings are available at the flick of a switch.

All the fun custom wiring circuits that you read about on the web, you get to do without committing to any of them. Try it all. Find your favorite.

CyFan4036 and ocean like this.
  10. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

@CyFan4036 - My experience is not limited, and I only offered MY opinion based on MY experiences with MANY DLX Plus guitars.

The OP asked for advice, so I gave MY opinion based on MY experiences. If you cant deal with that, thats YOUR problem

bassetman and ocean like this.
  11. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Thanks man!

That's actually 2014 Mystic Aztec Gold. The pictures don't do it any justice! Maybe some day I will by a new camera instead of using the phone lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  12. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

@CyFan4036 I don't think he understands how strat talk works, we don't people bash other peoples opinion here on strat talk. But I do appreciate your opinion @CyFan4036

bassetman and CyFan4036 like this.
  13. westonmitch

westonmitch Strat-Talk Member

I honestly prefer the deluxe to the standard. I love the compound radius fretboards and the locking tuners. I have an fsr American Deluxe sss and a Stratocaster plus ultra for hss. I’ve sold all of my American standards because my 1995 mim feels better to me than my last mia standard. You really need , imho, to play then because everyone has different tastes in tone, feels, etc. IMG_0623.JPG IMG_0660.JPG

And then there’s my 97 JH tribute, it has an awesome feel and sound but it’s not a standard or a deluxe IMG_0621.JPG

ocean, TheDuck and CyFan4036 like this.
  14. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

You can still by an American Standard?

15. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

High road taken

16. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

Used that is. The funny thing is used a deluxe and standard are not that off price wise.

17. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

Oh and all your pictures of guitars are awesome. Thanks for sharing and making me wish I could teleport to any GC location.

18. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Tough call. In many ways, a Standard should be perfect. After all, it's what ever other Strat out there is based off of, in a round about way.

However, I have an 2015 American Deluxe v-neck, and it's KILLER. I absolutely the way it plays and the neck it has. Great guitar that I will never sell. Ever.

GoodGolly likes this.
  19. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Out of respect to both models

Cant go wrong with either.

Both amazing guitars for any player.

20. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

I recently found an American Deluxe that I’m really enjoying - especially after swapping the pickups. I used to have the Deluxe V-neck but didn’t really like the pick ups so sold it off without realizing I should’ve just swapped out the pickups on it. The Deluxe I have now plays fine and I like the neck better than the Standard’s necks that I’ve tried. Compound radius fretboard rocks.

The N3 pickups are OK, but I prefer the sound of pick ups I have now.

SurfsUp, TheDuck and GoodGolly like this.