Recommendations on a small DIY amp

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Jimi Lightning, May 1, 2021.

1. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

I am looking...again... at building an amp from a kit. I am looking for recommendations but here’s the issue.

1. I secretly want a Fender Bassman but it will be too loud as it would need to be cranked to get the sound I want.

2. Looking for a kit that can with overdrive/tubescreamer can emulate that SRV, Hendrix vibe ( occasional metal) in a 5-15? watts range that can be played quietly.

3. Already have 4x100Watt amps if I want to rattle the windows and annoy the neighbours.

4. So far have looked on Mojotone at the Champ and there small amp.

5. Recommendations, suggestions , reviews etc...appreciated.

BlurgyWurgyWibble and dante1963 like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

The Champ is a good amp. I prefer the 5F2-A Princeton, which is almost identical but has a very functional cone control. I built one with a built-in attenuator and use it a lot for home practice. One of the inexpensive 8 ohm L-Pads will work well for the attenuator. Without an attenuator it'll be very loud to get into distortion.

Of course you could build a Bassman and include an attenuator too.

dante1963 and Jimi Lightning like this.
  3. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Idk if a kit exists, but Rob Robinette has schematics for a bassman micro. That's exactly what you want.

If there's not a kit, that would mean a bunch of small orders from places like mouser.

Andrew Wasson and Jimi Lightning like this.
  4. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

If you want a Bassman sound, really, just build the Bassman and get a good attenuator.

If you have the budget, the Ironman ToneKing II is a thing of beauty. I use it for my Marshall JTM45 (Which is an almost identical copy of the Tweed Bassman) through a 2x12 and I can dime the amp, and still bring the volume down to practically a whisper. Without (to my ears, anyway) changing the tone at all.

If the budget is a little tighter, the Weber Mass 200 is also very good.

Weber also sells a pre-made wiring harness to connect an attenuator with a Bassman, if you don’t feel like building the harness yourself when you build the kit.

Also, I should mention that most Tweed gurus suggest using different speakers than the ones that Mojotone uses for their kits.

The original tweeds were mostly alnico, but Mojotone has a weird obsession with cheap ceramic speakers.

I’m hoping to try my hand at a Mojotone 5e3 build this Winter, and I’m definitely not using their speaker.

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  5. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  6. Jimi Lightning

Nice! By the time I added the cabinet and speakers with the exchange too Cdn it was out of my budget...:(

7. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

The whole North American vs European and both vs Asia economic barrier nonsense is so last century. Sorry :(

8. Jimi Lightning

I saw an older post about the Mojotone Studio One amp kit and checked it it out.

Anyone have any idea how it would sound thru a Marshall cab ( 4 x 12” 8 Ohm speakers). All the demos i see have it running thru a single speaker.

9. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

5E3
    With the right speaker, can easily keep pace with drums and bass.

93-Strat likes this.
  10. Jimi Lightning

Great amp but puts me back into needing to build an attenuator for house noodling. I have 100 watts to compete with the drums and bass....:)

The Mojotone Studio One sounds ideal for practice noodling and I already have a MarshAll cab. Would 4 speakers work as its only 1 watt? If not then its back to a combo search at Mojotone.

11. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Yes, you can use four speakers in a 4x12 rated for 800 watts and they'll still work fine with one watt.

StratoMutt and Jimi Lightning like this.
  12. BlacknBlue

BlacknBlue Strat-O-Master

Check out Allen Amps, you will not be disappointed with any of his kits. Most have a master volume that will fit your low volume needs.

http://www.allenamps.com/index.html

13. Ampedup

Ampedup Strat-Talker

https://ax84.com/archive/ax84.com/index.php/oldprojectsf207.html?project_id=firefly
    I don't know if it will sound like a bassman but the firefly is a fun little project, easy to build and sounds cool. It's only about a 1/4 watt, which is still surprisingly loud. I've jammed with a drummer and at full volume it was doable. I usually can find all the parts I need from here: https://www.tubesandmore.com/
    I don't really have to get a kit if you are handy.
    I've also built this 5 watt + https://ax84.com/archive/ax84.com/sel.html
    It sounds nice, wattage depends on the power tube you want to use. I think they still sell some of the projects on there as kits and they are very good.
    I'll say that I've never liked the tone I get with an attenuator or power scaling circuit, it all sounds flat to me.

14. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

5F2A Princeton, 5 watts, much more useful than a Champ in my experience. Volume, Tweed tone control, better and more bass the Champ, has a power switch to give you better choice of pots. Better cleans and overdrive than the Champ can do. They don't cost much more to build.

Seamus OReally likes this.
  15. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

16. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

I built a Studio One. Was simple enough for my first project. Tons of fun too!

It is surprisingly loud with a single 12" and I have run it with 2 12"s. Loud, but tolerable. It does a great imitation of a much more powerful amp which is what it was designed to do. Feedback at will with tons of gain available on the footswitchable lead channel.

It has an excellent master volume if you want to dial back the substantial aural impact.

Its only weak area is pristine clean tones. It is a two channel amp, but the clean channel begins breakup sooner than you might want, especially if you want Fender amp clean.

I have a 1981 Mesa Boogie Mark II-B with 60 or 100 watts if I want loud Fender clean.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Jimi Lightning and 93-Strat like this.
  17. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

This ^^^

A tube amp is a pretty simple device to build and the Micro Bassman is what you're looking for. There is no kit for it but everything you need is on Rob's site here: https://robrobinette.com/Bassman_Micro.htm

Visit here for inspiration: https://www.tdpri.com/forums/shock-brothers-diy-amps.49/ then come back here and show us what you came up with.