Red classic vibe strat w/rosewood fretboard

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Mind Flayer, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

A local store has what it says is a classic vibe 60s strat. It has a rosewood fretboard. I have searched the web and the only red classic vibe strat i have found is a "simon neil" signature model. The simon neil model has a signature on the back of the headstock, but this one in the store doesn't. Also, on the one in the store, the serial number is printed on a sticker, which seems strange to me. I'm suspecting that this could be a partscaster. The guitar played and sounded great, but they're asking for $300 for it and I'm not paying that much for a partscaster. Anybody aware of a non simon neil cv red strat with rosewood fretboard model that would have used a sticker for the serial number?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

There was a Candy Apple Red CV60s for a long time...it's only recently discontinued....

[​IMG]

If the serial number is all numbers with no letter prefix, and on a brown sticker...it's refurbished....there would be a USED stamp in the wood in the back of the headstock too....like this

[​IMG]

I would not pay 300 for a refurb....it failed QC at factory...it also has zero Fender warranty...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Jason D likes this.
  3. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

Thanks! That's exactly what it looked like. They said it was fiesta red but to me it was clearly CAR. It's in their used section, so it's not like they're passing it off as new. But $300 still seems steep.
    If it is refurbished, does that mean it failed QC and then got sent back and they fixed the problem?

4. Guitarmageddon

it means it was sold cheaply to a refurbisher whose job it is to fix it and re-sell for a profit....but Fender implies no warranty...if the neck warps you're SOL, any manufacturing defect won't be covered....

I would buy it for 200...but 300 no way

5. DougMen

DougMen Strat-Talker

Squier warranty is only one year anyway.

6. Guitarmageddon

Lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects - backed by Fender. So for instance if your finish started peeling for no reason it would be covered....

The 1 year warranty covers things like neck warping or twisting, fret leveling etc....

7. DougMen

DougMen Strat-Talker

According to the Fender website, effective Jan. 1, 2017, the warranty for Fender and Squier electric guitars in the US is now only two years.

8. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

$300 is WAY too much for a re-stickered CV. IMO, those stickers kill the monetary value of a guitar.

FWIW, I purchased a 2010 NOS CAR CV (with rosewood FB) last year on Reverb for $300. It's a fabulous guitar and every bit as "good" as my Am Standards. IMO, a better value (than a refurb) would be a used CV.

IMG_4563.JPG

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Ebidis likes this.
  9. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

There was a fiesta red a while back. Some complained that it looked too different from "authentic" fiesta red strats from the 60s. I thought it was cool. 300 is high, but then again, for a guitar that will make you happy...

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member