Red Rocks Amphitheater

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by soulman969, Jan 17, 2021.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

For those who have never seen it I though I'd share a shot of the world famous Red Rock Amphitheater at sunrise, a natural outdoor music venue built into the surrounding landscape. No visit to Denver is complete without taking a side trip to Red Rocks or better yet catching a concert there. It's about 15-20 minutes from me just outside the town of Morrison.

[​IMG]

Get up early and make it to Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre, 10 miles west of downtown, to stand on the stage where some of the world's most famous acts — including The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix — once played. One of the most singular music venues in America, Red Rocks is built right into the surrounding rock that gives it its name. Find a seat in the stands to watch the sunrise — from the top row, you can see all the way to Denver's airport, nearly 40 miles away.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  2. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Minack Theatre Porthcurno Cornwall, built by one woman, stunning views.
    [​IMG]

3. soulman969

Beautiful and somewhat ancient too I imagine.

ukoldgit likes this.
  4. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Silver Member

We went to the Red Rock, Colorado. We saw Tedeshi-Trucks Band - great show - the sound was awesome. Remember Colorado is like 5000 feet above Sea Level, if your not prepared for it, it’s a - headaches, & physically interesting. We are older, with some Medical issues. Let me say Great Venue, not handicap accessible at all & no handicap previsions. It is all up or down long stairways. It is beautiful & an amazing place. While in Colorado we also went to The Stanley Motel, The Shining was filmed there, 7500 feet above sea level, wow, instant headaches extremely uncomfortable for the first hour, than got better physically. Check that off the bucket list!

Henry2 and soulman969 like this.
  5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Yep
    Mrs. And I on our way home from Detroit

soulman969 likes this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

it is equally impressive from the stage.

nadzab, Tone Deaf and soulman969 like this.
  7. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Only started in the 1930s, built over a period of years by Rowena Cade (and her gardener) bringing rocks up from the shore below and stones/cement etc down from the top of the cliff, it's only 4 miles from Lands End Cornwall, and of course the granite stone is as you say ancient.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  8. soulman969

Yup, I always advise my "Flatlander Friends" to plan on 24-48 hours to acclimate to the altitude and thin air here in Denver before heading higher "up the hill".

Red Rocks is another 1000' above downtown Denver and as you posted it is not handicap accessible or an easy climb from the parking areas up to the seating.

fretWalkr likes this.
  9. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

An amazing venue. I was there in the 90s

soulman969 likes this.
  10. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Beautiful. The Gorge at George, Washington is pretty amazing too. Seen a lot of great shows there....
    Gorge-Amphitheatre.jpg gorge-amphitheatre-crop-2018-instagram-1200x631.jpg gorgeparadisio-featured.jpg

11. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

That is pretty freakin' AMAZING!!!

ukoldgit likes this.
  12. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

Yep. I'm a (no so young) flatlander. I was in Phoenix at about 1000' and we'd done a lot of local desert hiking up to the 3500' level. The lower desert gets too hot to hike by June (over 100 by late morning) so we decided to head north to Prescott. The whole region is 5000' plus. We hiked up (and down) to about 7000'. Huge difference. Steep uphill climbs in the sun were a significant challenge! Being flatlanders, we hadn't anticipated that... but we learned.

soulman969 likes this.
  13. soulman969

LOL....it only takes once doesn't it.

Few years ago some friends from Central Illinois rented a cabin sittin' at about 10,000 feet or so. They brought all kinds of hikin' and bikin' stuff.

I asked them to stay over in Denver for a couple of days to acclimate first but they passed preferring to get up the hill and enjoy the mountains.

Within 24 hours the wife got so sick they had to leave and head back to Illinois when she couldn't even tolerate the 5000' altitude in Denver any longer.

Visiting Colorado and the Rockies may best be done in stages.

fretWalkr likes this.
  14. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I've been fascinated by that place since I seen the U2 concert from Red Rocks. I'd love to go someday :thumb:

soulman969 likes this.
  15. soulman969

Come on over. Plenty of small brew pubs in Denver too. :thumb:

ChrisD and nadzab like this.
  16. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Red Rocks is stunning, we drove out just to see it (didn't catch a show, unfortunately) when we were in Denver several years ago. We were impressed by the numbers of people working out there, jogging up and down the risers, etc...and in that thin Colorado air!

soulman969 likes this.
  17. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Red Rocks is a legendary venue and a stunning place to see a concert. My first show there was the Allman Brothers back in the 90’s and I remember the entire crowd going “OHHHHHHH!!!!” when a meteor streaked across the sky during Melissa.

archetype, Henry2 and soulman969 like this.
  18. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

Been there many times while stationed in Colorado in the military. Uncanny acoustics for something that was mostly naturally formed. A lot of great fun and memories. Excellent photo, BTW.:D

soulman969 likes this.
  19. soulman969

Once you adapt to it after living here I'm told that your lung capacity actually increases a bit to offset the thinner air.

Lots of hikers and bikers here in addition to all the skiers.

jbylake likes this.