reflet a strat may i know your favorite fret size?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by drugo, Apr 7, 2021.

1. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

Hi

about refletting a guitar with a different fret size , may I know which is your favorite fret size?
    i know it's a personal taste

I like 6150 .104" X .047"
    I like 6100 .118" X .058" but i don't know if it suits well on fender mia neck , american standard
    i like the 6100 because it's tall but to large
    but the measure are alway in imperial , hard to find in metric (milleters)

can you share with me your feedbacks?
    thanks

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  2. Prometheus_Slap

Prometheus_Slap Strat-Talk Member

My taste is pretty vanilla with 6150 being my preferred fret size but I think whatever fret size you feel most comfortable with even if its weird to see it on a fender neck would be the smartest choice for a refret.

drugo likes this.
  3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Hi Drugo,

this is really soooo personal that you can't go by anyone else's advice. Think back on what you like.

For Fender guitars, my favorite are the rather unpopular vintage frets (on a 7'25" board). I have zero problems fretting accurately or bending, and I have grown so accustomed to them that Medium Jumbo already feel like speed bumps under my hands.

But in this case more than anywhere else: YMMV.

SonOfLerome and drugo like this.
  4. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

A couple of things I learned the hard way which I think are worth taking in to consideration when selecting fret size.

1. Wider frets affect intonation as the crowns wear down. I find it annoying personally. Using harder/stainless wire not an issue.
    2. Taller frets which are popular effectively change the thickness of the neck. So if you are just about comfortable getting your thumb over the top as-is, re-consider putting taller frets on.
    3. Taller frets will necessitate a higher relative action. That means that the break angle over the saddles will increase which will dramatically change the way the guitar feels and sounds. Some like it, some don't care, some hate it. Consider it in relation to how you are set up currently.

FWIW from my own experience I find that I prefer sticking with vintage size fretwire as long as its considerably harder than stock NS. Simtoms do a 20% NS wire but I'd serioualy consider going evo or stainless because you really don't want the wire to wear down at all ever as there's just not enough to dress satisfactorily.

If its already a slim to medium neck then going taller 6105 etc is not really an issue for me personally. I do not have huge hands though so I do have to plan ahead here! My personal preference is for a smaller/rounder neck and taller thinner wire. I find this plays like butter but it has to be that combination. I couldn't live with tall frets on an already beefier neck or wider nut.

MartinC and drugo like this.
  5. MartinC

MartinC Strat-Talker

Its all down to preference. I find wide (jumbo wide) frets somehow cumbersome. Anything else - vintage, vintage tall, medium jumbo whatever - I get on with just fine. @BlurgyWurgyWibble has a good point. If you go vintage think seriously about fret wear (get harder frets) because there just isn't a lot to play with when it comes to levelling

BlurgyWurgyWibble and drugo like this.
  6. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I have several that I have refretted. All with larger frets. I have a Tele with a Warmoth neck that that is compound radius and has frets that measure in 0.118 (2.99mm)x 0.058 (1.47mm) and it plays like a dream. I also have several strats with 0.110" (2.79mm) x 0.57 (1.45mm) fret wire and again I love the way they feel and play. Basically they are strats with railroad tracks for frets with a 9.5 inch radius. I think they fit really well IMO. I also have a couple with the 6105 type frets and though they play nicely I do not care for them nearly as much. Even though there is nothing wrong with the frets, I may end up changing them this summer if I get time.
    As stated earlier, these are personal preferences. If you find a size you like then have your axe fitted with them. It may feel different or weird at first but you will grow accustomed to them quickly and love playing it if the job is done correctly.

@drugo If you are looking having trouble doing the imperial to metric conversions I suggest looking here. They list them in both measurements and it is where I get my wire now.
    https://www.jescarguitar.com/fret-wire-specifications/

drugo likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I used to refret with medium-jumbo to get more wear out of conventional fret wire, the trade off is intonation as mentioned above.

When I switched to stainless steel frets for refretting or new builds 100% I switched to 'medium'. This cut my crowning time in half.

drugo likes this.
  8. drugo

drugo Strat-Talker

Hi

I know it's a personal choise and personal feeling

just for example on lacquered mapple fretboard (just like all the fender necks ) I like taller frets , while on rosewood I like medium jumbo lower

I just like to read your personal choise and feeling

9. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

The fenders Medium Jumbo are fine to me.

Just fretted my other strat with Jescar Fret Wire 43080 – Jescar (jescarguitar.com) in SS.

Slight taller, Slim and nice. Close to the vintage frets that was on but slightly bigger.
    Worked nice to me.

Vintage frets felt hard to play barre chords and such but super nice to fly up and down on the neck with them.

Medium Jumbo is a very versatile allrounder. Most players can enjoy them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  10. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Vintage Medium.