Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Refret question.....

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by redstratman62, Dec 1, 2017.

1. redstratman62

redstratman62 New Member!

Aug 3, 2016
    Nottingham uk
    Hi,I have not posted before,despite having read many things on this site.
    I have just had an avri strat rosewood board refretted with 6100 fretwire, a good job has been done,however I feel upset at the fact that the edges of the fretboard has been quite severely scraped away in order to dress the fretends and really the edges now have a bit of a ridge to them.
    My question has to be,is this normal?,I’m sure I have seen this job done without this being done to the fretboard edges.

2. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    Hi is there any way you can post pics of what you are describing?

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    This is not normal - welcome to the forum! Can you show us photos please? Did they roll the edges of the fretboard or is this something else?

4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Professional guys mask tape the wood before tending to the fret ends cause of this, I would not accept scratches on the Fretboard sides after a fretjob, take it back to the shop!

5. redstratman62

Aug 3, 2016
    Nottingham uk
    Image1512162295.149446.jpg

Hi, thanks for your replies,I have tried to photograph the neck,but doesn’t seem to come out too well,maybe I’m being too fussy, it the edges are now very hard and have quite a taper on and no lacquer,I guess the damage is done(in my view),I wonder Is a way to relauqer the edges and maybe make it feel slightly softer.
    I suppose I should have talked through the process with guy,( who has been at it many years btw)and then I would have known what was what.....

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

It looks to me like he forgot that the ends of the frets and fretboard edges still need finishing. Take it back and ask him.

garyhoos1 and s5tuart like this.

7. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Australia
    Hmmm, looking at the side dot visible in the pic he's also taken the tinted finish off half the dot, I guess they are all like that? Not enough care taken there IMO, with due care the work can be done without that happening.

8. redstratman62

Aug 3, 2016
    Nottingham uk
    Many thanks everyone,I appreciate your replies, a trip back I think

stratobiker and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    The Rosewood on the sides will get filed/sanded down when doing the fret ends to rid of the excess overhang. Rosewood finger boards that do not have finish on the side of them can be done with no signs of a refret if done by a pro. They are a dream from the techs standpoint...

Fender runs the lacquer over the sides of Rosewood board and that easiness of the fretwork goes away. You should not feel a finish ridge however, it should be feather sanded to blend in smooth.

The ends of your frets look sharp and left undone IMO.

10. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Strat-Talk Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Australia
    When my OM Martin was refretted there was no loss of finish on the edges.
    [​IMG]

Nor on my Strat, seen here at refret completion with new Bone Nut, but again no loss of finish on the edges.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

11. redstratman62

Aug 3, 2016
    Nottingham uk
    Thanks,they look great jobs...

12. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talker

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    Not really. If you use masking tape, you can't get the ends completely flush with the fretboard.

It is a feel thing. You have to stop just as you kiss the fretboard edge. This will make microscopic scratches in the lacquer (if lacqured) that are easily buffed out.

13. Deschain

Deschain Strat-Talker

Jun 23, 2017
    Denmark
    Well, the guy did a lousy job and forgot to fix his mistakes... Take it back.