Refret saga continued.. Should I be mad? HELP

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Folk_Hogan, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

I started a new thread because I wanted to see if anyone else had some insight on what is bumming me out pretty hard right now.

I finally picked up my Strat yesterday, 2 days shy of 2 months, when it was supposed to be completed June 1st.

After calling and pestering for 3 weeks I finally get some explanation and we agreed that it would be done yesterday.. It was "done" by 6:55 and the shop closes at 7.

All of the annoyances of waiting and not having my strat while RECORDING RECORDS (the whole reason I have a vintage strat in the first place), I kept assuring myself that at least my guitar will be awesome when it's done.

So..

I went from the original '63 frets to 6105s. I play with .11s and there weren't any dead spots whatsoever. Not even any buzz. It WAS great. I refretted mostly for bending and there were divits in first couple frets.

One of my good friends can vouch for me on the original condition as he was the one to set it up previously and I would have gone to him directly but he's in Europe with Beck at the moment.

I asked they leave the fretboard alone. Obviously, right?

Before I picked it up they explained over the phone that part of the delay was that they had to re-do the refret because "it wasn't right."

The neck is dead straight and the guy didn't check it out BEFORE refretting it so when he put the frets on and strung it up there wasn't any relief, so he refretted it after that, and potentially a third time. Now his solution to the straight neck was taking the frets off and planing the board, a solution he didn't call to check with me on.

If he had called what would the other options be?

He seems to have planed the hell out of the board. The clay dots were almost pink before and now I can see woodgrain under some of them. Same with the fretboard itself.

Didn't really notice the subtle nuances to the refret as the store was closing.

ALSO- the setup is jacked. The high e string is full on sitar. Which I honestly didn't notice in the store but when I pulled it out at home I fingerpicked a C chord right away amd BAM, also G nut slot is cut too deep and buzzes as well.

I paid $400 for them to not let me play my guitar for 2 months and then to give it back to me worse than it was. They thought they were doing me a favor by not charging me for the nut and figuring out a volume pot.

The guy apologized an realized it was a month late, I didn't "go there" and yell at him or anything, I was just too sad about the whole situation. It was a completely umolested vintage strat and these idiots fumbled badly.

I know the nut is fixable but have they done major damage to the fretboard?

I'm actually sad and heartbroken I did anything to it in the first place. It was fine and 100 percent useable.

I'm leaving for Russia tomorrow night but might have time to go back by there in the morning to have them actually set it up right while I'm gone.

What have I done?

Attached Files:

2. Folk_Hogan

Here are some before shots

Attached Files:

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

That's beacuse he ripped it to shreds pulling the old frets.

You live, you learn.
    Do not take your guitar back to these idiots.
    Ever.

4. Folk_Hogan

Did they damage the board? Also I want to get my money back.

5. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster

I would be, well totally pissed...It's not like you can just go and grab a replacement neck for it. At best, I would be looking at getting some $$$ back..Sorry you had such a bad experience.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

If I took any guitar to a tech for a re fret, and got it back in worse condition than before, I'd be very pissed off. Let alone a vintage Strat. He should have talked to you before doing anything like planing the fret board. This guy needs to make it right somehow.

nicholas and Bluesplayer80 like this.
  7. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

I'd be pissed beyond words- but there is no way they would ever see that guitar again. Maybe a small claims court case.

nicholas and Bluesplayer80 like this.
  8. fezz parka

Well, if they planed the hell out of it, ask yourself why? Sometimes you don't have to plane them, sometimes you do. Especially if there is tear out when pulling the frets. Look at the frets very closely. Is the rosewood darker near the fret itself? The fix for tear out is to plane the hell out of the board, mix rosewood dust with CA, fill the fret slots and tear out with the mixture, then re-plane the board again and cut new fret slots.

carver and Guy Named Sue like this.
  9. Folk_Hogan

He said he needed to plane it because the neck was too straight and had no relief..

superjake02 likes this.
  10. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

I was following the other thread you made with interest, really sorry to hear how it's all turned out. If that had happened to me I'd be seriously upset too, hope you can get it back playing as well as it should!

Whatever you do, please don't give it back to those guys :(

11. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow, that definitely looks like the last refret for that board. At least they should give you the money back. I don´t have words for that - I would be seriously pissed and I really feel your pain but they totally screwed that one.
    It is a 1963 and not a cheap Squier or something.
    You did nothing wrong but they have to pay no matter what. Get a lawyer and charge them.

All the best,
    Robin

Hammer 4 likes this.
  12. Bluesplayer80

Bluesplayer80 Strat-O-Master

I would honestly want to tear his/their head/s off! I would have done the same as you and made sure they don't plane the board....those dots looked great prior to shaving them down to almost nothing....ya can't add wood back onto the already thin veneer.... The damage he did most likely cost much more than you even paid! How would they make it right? I wouldn't even know? Starting by giving you a full refund and then ask what else they can do.

Also, not contacting you was extremely un-professional...wow man I'm sorry you have to experience this with a vintage instrument...

nicholas and Robins like this.
  13. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Bummed it didn't work out for you. :(. Being a part of ST ,, I hear fret jobs are no big deal,, now I learned to think twice before and who to bring my guitar to,, when the time comes,,

14. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't understand the need for planing a straight neck. What does that even have to do with it? What did he do, plane relief into the wood itself?

I think it's time for Judge Judy and a small claims court suit.

15. fezz parka

BS. What a load of crap.

16. Folk_Hogan

YES ! THATS WHAT HE DID

nicholas likes this.
  17. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow, what a long-awaited bummer of a result. Truly sorry for you... I would be give that idiot a big piece of my mind, and demand to be reimbursed for the refret + damages to the value of the guitar.

18. fezz parka

What an idiot. OMG. Planing in relief? WTF?

I told ya in the other thread. The worst of the worst that studied at the feet of Master Shysters.

There are good people there in LA. Wescott. Gabe at Echopark. Westwood Music. Fren Asken.

Where you took your guitar is at the bottom of the list. Take it to one of these guys I listed above. Do not even bother with the other joint.

Do me a favor, check the side of the board. Are the slots even up and down the neck? Are some cut deeply into the maple? Do the slots extend past the bottom of the tang? These are all signs of a hack job.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  19. Folk_Hogan

Here's the thing, that's the reason he gave me for planing it. He probably just tore it up from the 3 refrets he gave it.

In addition to an obvious refund, shouldn't I get some sort of reimbursement for damages ? And if so how would you calculate?

20. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

There is a small chance that was true, but it is less than 0%

so ... ah, no.
    That is nuts. He was going to plane relief into it? wow. Just ... wow.

So sorry dude, this happened. Take it to one of the guys Fezz mentioned, he would know who is good in LA.

jimyjazz and fezz parka like this.