Relic doubts

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by ygrik, Apr 21, 2021.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

No, as others have said, what you will end up with is a poly guitar that looks like it's been attacked with an angle grinder or a belt sander. People will laugh at you. Don't do it.

2. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

To the OP. You be better off taking a heat gun and scraping off the poly paint. Then repaint with lacquer, then relic.

IMG_7366.JPG IMG_7365.JPG .
    Excellent EVH build. My attempt about 5 years ago.

3. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

If it is all about feel and performance, why does the finish on the guitar have to suffer?

Unless the guitar is an absolute dog, a good setup will make it feel good.
    The only thing that could add to that is possibly some light sanding on the neck, getting rid of fret sprout and smoothing some edges on the bridge if that feels uncomfortable.

No need for dings, sanding of the body to bare wood or anything like that.

Obviously, it would not look 45 years old but if it's all about the feel and comfort, that's not required, right?

And I will probably never understand deliberately damaging a guitar 'so you don't have to worry about it'.

Madness.

Don't worry about it, play it and it will relic all by itself

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Yinzer, jayaitch and Intune like this.
  4. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

I did this one. It's lacquer.
    IMG_4415.JPG IMG_4416.JPG IMG_4417.JPG IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4419.JPG IMG_4420.JPG IMG_4421.JPG

Nate D, Intune and CigBurn like this.
  5. RobZ69

Why not just buy an old dinged up body?

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  6. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

People like different things, not madness just normal variations in personal preference.

ratdoc, Believer7713 and RobZ69 like this.
  7. RobZ69

Sure. But be honest about it. It is not about feel.
    It is about looks.

8. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

@RobZ69 You are correct in a way but for me it’s looks and how it feels. These polyurethane guitars you can play for 100 years, drop off a 20 story building and it will look just like it did when it left the factory. My jam buddy has a 98 American standard, you’d swear it’s brand new. It’s been his #1 since he bought it new in 99.

RobZ69 likes this.
  9. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

That is simply projecting your thoughts on it onto others. People are allowed to like things different from you and do not owe anyone an explanation for why they like anything. If they are not your preference that's great, for you. You don't have to get it, its not a big deal. Just enjoy the things you like and let others do the same. Simple. :)

Believer7713 likes this.
  10. RobZ69

Very true. That is why I posted what I posted.
    Everyone is free to fool themselves.
    Just like everyone else is free to not understand that, and to point that out.

11. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Yeah, the horror of people liking different things.. must keep some folks up at night..

ok.jpg

12. RobZ69

If you drop it off a 20 story building, I don't doubt it will feel different than straight from the factory floor. ;)

But seriously, even poly finished guitars age. They discolour, the hardware will show wear, there will be dings, edges will soften, scratches, chips. They will feel old too.

You may have to look a little harder to see it though.

And if the looks of a guitar make you feel better, this is obviously fine too.

I like nicely worn guitars too.

I've just rarely seen a nicely artificially worn guitar. Poly or otherwise.

Nate D and LordBucketHead like this.
  13. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Sorry to hijack the the thread- but I’ve been thinking I want to paint my nitro MIM 50s sunburst body black, a-la dave gilmour. Should I pay someone to do this or attempt it on my own?

14. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Yes you are correct, I love a good relic but nothing beats actual vintage wear. True grit and grim, I was a heavy relic fan but after seeing many pumped out that just look off I tamed my tastes back. I mean I did just order a heavy relic pbass!!

Poly does wear and fade over time also, just looks really bad when it chips off in junks.

15. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

That would look sweet!! I love anything over sunburst. I wish I could attempt it myself but way up here in Canada we’re pretty limited for actual nitro.

CigBurn and SonOfLerome like this.
  16. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I wouldn't do it. My '06 American Series Tele has super thick clear poly. Came with three decent-sized dings in it, each looks like someone bashed a windshield with a ball peen hammer. Not a good look.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Intune likes this.
  17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

dbb541 and Handsome McClane like this.
  18. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

FWIW I've got a 1982 JV Squier Strat that has been refinished a number of times (originally would have been poly), the last time by a pro about 5-6 years ago in 2 tone nitro. It's now ageing nicely in keeping with the near 40 year old neck and metalwork. I've often wondered what it would look like if I'd never refinished it (I did it with rattle cans back in the mid 80s because it got some scratches on it and I fancied a change :rolleyes:).

My 1990 Epiphone Les Paul is still in the original poly finish, has a few marks on it, but I was older when I got it and probably took more care. It's been gigged and not babied, but even so polishes up near good as new. The plastic and binding has aged/yellowed (pickups are newer, but nickel covers so they've worn a bit now).

I think they both have their charms, but the main thing is how they feel and that's what I've tried to copy on a Partscaster Esquire and now Strat that I've built recently. Both are nitro though, so will probably age like my refinished Strat has after a few years.

Strat and Epiphone in the middle of this group photo:

Group 5.jpg

RHL87 likes this.
  19. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

We have nitro in Canada? Never seen it anywhere....lol

Back on track...
    Relicing a Poly guitar is a chore. The finish is a guard plastic shell and if you manage to get some off ( in chunks) there is still a sealer coat underneath. It will never look like a Nitro sliced guitar IMHO. It becomes what I call stand off scale. If you stand far enough back it might look right. YMMV.

Dave Simpson on YouTube did a video on relicing a poly guitar.

20. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

The headstock on my Squier Simon Niel CV is a good example of how hard it can be to relic a poly guitar. I'm not sure if that's what the previous owner was trying to do or if they just wanted to take the whole lot off, stick a Fender logo on and refinish it, but either way they clearly gave up partway through. It must have taken a lot of work just to get to this point, and I expect the finish on a body would be thicker.

image.jpeg

My 30 year old MIK Squier body is a good example of a mostly naturally relic'd poly finish. There's no actual finish missing, just a lot of discolouration, plus some dings that you can't see in this photo. I said "mostly naturally" because a lot of the wierd stuff appears to have been caused by stickers and/or what appears to be sanding on the front (possibly as an attempt to remove sticker residue rather than an attempt at relic'ing).

image.jpeg

My point here is that even if you have the patience to try and relic a poly finish, it'll never look right. Either getting a body with a nitro finish or refinishing the one you have would be a better option.