Relic doubts

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by ygrik, Apr 21, 2021.

1. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Do you want to make it look like a worn in lacquer-finished guitar? Or would a worn in polyester guitar? A polyester guitar would never wear the same as an an old lacquer-finished guitar anyway but relic'ers never seem to want to replicate that look.

note, polyester is not the same as polyurethane even though people assert that constantly.

Bob the builder likes this.
  2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

I think you and jvin248 might both be right. The only intentionally relic'ed guitar I own is a 2016 50s Road Worn Telecaster. It's one of the lightly relic'ed ones, and I still didn't care for the look. But as soon as I picked it up and played it, I decided to buy. The neck has almost all of the finish sanded off, making it stay slick and smooth even when it's humid or I'm sweating. I love that neck so much that I ended up replacing the heavy-poly-finished neck on my Clapton Strat with a RW Strat neck I found on the Stratosphere. I now have grown to like the look of that Tele.

3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

If you want the look of a 50s/60s guitar, invest in a heat gun and remove all the poly first. Then a couple different colors of rattle can spray lacquer, then abuse it until you get your look.

If you want it to look like an abused poly guitar, just go at it with a hammer, or drag it behind your truck. Then put your time and sandpaper into making it comfortable again.

4. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Point me in the right direction for actual nitro other than white, black or clear

5. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Lol...point me in the right direction to find any Nitro in a rattle can here...

6. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

So is this a riddle? I’m asking you where in Canada can you buy nitro, rattle can or a barrel. I know I can get lacquer at Walmart but it’s black, white or clear.

7. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

That is a great looking job you’ve done there

Believer7713 likes this.
  8. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

@Intune No riddle. Your post read to me like a question looking for other paint colours other than white, black or clear. :)

I cant point you in any direction as I have yet to find any in my part of Ontario.

9. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Thank you!!! I must give credit where credit is due though. The original paint job was done by @little_wing142. The only thing left from his work is the body now. I took the 5150 stickers off and painted my own number on it. Then I changed it to the Floyd Rose and neck to the Kramer neck, which took some serious thinking because I had to cut a new heel on it. Added the 1971 quarter. The relic-ing was done by dragging it on the driveway at my shop, spending a lot of time messing with box cutter blades, then rubbing used motor oil and graphite dust into it. I may have gotten a bit unconventional with it but I like it as it is...especially for my first time. It is the only time I have ever relic-ed a guitar. I normally try to make them really nice and pretty.

Blue Beagle likes this.
  10. JayCee453

JayCee453 Strat-Talk Member

The only thing to add is any aesthetic work is harder and requires more practice than you'd ever believe. So buy some unplayable piece of crap for almost no money and practice on that first until you are happy with the results.

RobZ69 likes this.
  11. JimmyDee

JimmyDee Strat-Talk Member

Just a note, the Squier bullets and Affinity models I've pulled apart were made with plywood bodies. No caps, just a plank of plywood that's been machined and then finished in poly. Not that I think you care (I think it would look cool if you were trying to relic it) but I thought I'd point that out in case you don't want plywood showing.

Pull the pick guard off and inspect the routing underneath. It will be really apparent if it's solid wood or plywood.

12. LordBucketHead

LordBucketHead New Member!

I agree it's about looks. I never ever look at relic'd guitars and think they look worn. They simply look as if someone has gone at them to give the illusion of being old. Like retro oil cans or metal signs in a gift shop. Creative art. Fun but fake. I find them fun to look at but most guitarists I guess (who are bothered about such things) are looking for what has been done to these guitars to get the appearance as opposed to thinking, I'm looking at a guitar that has had a hard life.

13. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talker

No, it’s not. For some people it is TOTALLY about the feel. I’m one of those people.

14. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

You are 100% correct. It does take a lot of patience but it’s no big deal with a lot of practice. The only problem with the practice part is what do you get to practice on? Another thick poly body? No point to practice on another poly body because it will still never, no matter, look right.

You need to practice on nitro and I haven’t come across any nitro guitars or bodies for that matter that are cheap. Heck even a highway one body or road worn is still going to be a poly sealer.

That’s how I ruined a few nice nitro guitars because there was simple nothing else to practice on. You can definitely try on poly but from my experience I just ended up tossing it in the trash.

15. iGav

iGav Strat-Talker

I read a quote about it which decided the matter for me years ago;

'People who go to the trouble of giving their guitar a relic job want to appear genuine by faking authenticity.'

Now, that's not an accusation aimed at anyone, I know a relic can feel nice, but it's not real. I'd feel stupid with it if I did it myself.

16. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Oh yeah looks is a big part of it. Everyone has their own opinion on this subject. That’s never going to go away. So when the real pros ask a master builder at the custom shop to make them a relic, are they poser too? Countless actual real working musicians are rocking relics.

Here’s another point of view on this. So I’m a poser and like fake relics. I want people to see me and think man that guy must be good if his guitar looks like that.

So on the other hand there are guys that want to emulate the artist. Like how do a get Clapton tones, if I play “Hendrix” style will I be Hendrix? Do I look like Clapton or Hendrix on stage? Please someone look at me.

It’s all matter of opinion and no one is right or wrong. It’s either you like it or you don’t.

RHL87 likes this.
  17. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

I'd take it to an auto body shop that can strip it for you. Then find a furniture maker that will spray nitro. Then relic.

Poly don't relic. It does... but it doesn't look cool.

I personally am not a fan of relics. I relic my own by accident and that's plenty.

RobZ69 likes this.
  18. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

A good friend in NYC and former bandmate of mine bought a brand new American Deluxe with a sunburst finish. He had it in the gig bag and had forgotten to zip it up properly when he left rehearsal.

As he started down the subway stairs, it slid out and bounced and fell all the way down the stairs. If he was a little older, he could have had a coronary. He was completely crushed.

He showed it to me and I said "It's perfect!". He still plays it and when he tells another guitar player the story, they usually buy him a beer.

Intune likes this.
  19. LordBucketHead

LordBucketHead New Member!

I suppose the relic thing is just quite 'fashionable' these days. For a few years in the UK, ripped jeans were fashionable. Before they became fashionable, you could safely guess the wearers worked on building sites. I liked the look of the fashionable ripped jeans and I also like to look at relic'd guitars. They're fun to look at and they're a kind of art. However, I'd never wear ripped jeans and I'd never relic a guitar. Not because I'm a ferocious avoider of fashion trends or that I don't like them or that they're obviously faked, but because they just aren't for me.

20. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Hey yeah that’s kind of my point. It’s not for everyone. It is a trend and has been for awhile now. Just like ripped jeans, faded worn looking band tees, distressed furniture. It’s a style, look and even feel.

I used to love heavy relics, no so much anymore. So even for a relic lover I loose interest in certain looks or my taste has changed.

LordBucketHead and CigBurn like this.