Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Relic'd my Squier Bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Loadedguitar, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Loadedguitar

Loadedguitar New Member!

Sep 14, 2017
    Hungary
    Hi everyone,
    I just registered, to this forum to share what have I just done. Please forgive me. :D
    I relic'd my bullet strat and I think it turned out pretty good.
    I would like to hear your opinions on it, and some advice too, to make it better.
    Thank you in advance,
    Marci

IMG_2507.JPG IMG_2508.JPG IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2510.JPG IMG_2511.JPG IMG_2514.JPG IMG_2516.JPG IMG_2515.JPG

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Welcome to Strat Talk. I'm in no way a fan of relic jobs and only like wear on guitars that came from playing but I do believe everyone can do as they wish with their guitars.

That being said it looks like you jabbed away at it with a screwdriver and knife. Very little of that wear looks like it would come from playing. The gouge above the pickguard is way to deep and jagged to come from years of hitting it with a plastic pick. Same with the wear on the arm area. Does not look natural like it thinned from someone's arm rubbing it for 20+ years. Some of the body dings look like they are from actual playing but mostly it just looks intentionally abused.

Good news is it's still just as playable (assuming you did not hack up the neck) and as long as you like it then what I think don't matter a bit.

craigh and jjudas like this.

3. Loadedguitar

Loadedguitar New Member!

Sep 14, 2017
    Hungary
    Thank you for the input! You are right, but it's impossible to make real wear marks on a poly finish. My goal was to make it look good from a couple feet away. I'm not done with it yet, I have to dull the finish a bit, maybe that will make the relic job a bit more real. The guitar is still 100% playable, I love this guitar, but it's cheap, so I can do things like this to it and I don't have to worry about it.

Stratoskater likes this.

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    It will probably help when you dull the finish some. Poly is a pain to try and relic even after 25+ years I had a poly strat that pretty much looked brand new. If you want to do it right then strip it and refinish with nitro. Relicing that will be much easier.

5. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Welcome to Strat Talk.

Loadedguitar likes this.

6. Loadedguitar

Loadedguitar New Member!

Sep 14, 2017
    Hungary
    Yeah, it would be better to refinish it. The other thing I forgot to mentoin, that I'll propably buy a new cheap body that I'll finish with some kind of stain or nitro. I won't relic it then.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Relics drive a polarizing love-hate response from people so expect ups and downs in the thread.

The things to learn about a relic, and really you only get that when you own one, is they should feel like a favorite pair of old jeans. Comfort all around. Rolled fingerboard edge (use a smooth chrome philips screwdriver shaft or smooth wrench socket to press and drag along the sharp fingerboard edges, more pressing and rounding rather than gouging and sanding, try not to break the finish).
    Satin sanding all over the body (600-800 grit type of range) and filing or sanding any sharp metal corners or screw heads (like saddle adjustments) help with the feel.

Look up Fender Custom Shop relics and compare the patterns they use. Look at old pictures of famous players for locations of wear. Avoid general pictures that don't have any notes about them as random people do random relic work. http://www.fendercustomshop.com/retired-models/

This was an interesting build to follow.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/comple...-gilmour-workmate.467557/page-12#post-5752424

One popular relic look is to over spray a body with a solid color then sand back in the wear spots to reveal the burst underneath. You'll see it in photo searches.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

8. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Welcome to Strat-Talk.

Since you have already destroyed the nice poly on this guitar why not go all the way and strip it completely. No loss now (it looks awful) so break out the power tools and strip that baby. Refinish with rattle can nitro.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

9. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Don't dull the finish!!!! It's not at like lacquer, poly when it's dull appears really foggy and white on surface, so it won't look good at all!!

Other than that I won't comment on the guitar, it's yours do what you want. Welcome to the forum!

10. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I like relics but not all of them. This one is really not my cup of tea, to say the least.

Glad you joined ST, maybe it will prevent you from abusing squiers in the future ; )

johnnymg likes this.

11. Loadedguitar

Loadedguitar New Member!

Sep 14, 2017
    Hungary
    Thank you everyone! I won't do any more relics. :D I will buy a new body and I will finish it with nitro. The other option is, I fill the cracks with something, sand down the body a bit (not all the way) and I spray some nitro over it. It would be a fun project.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

Welcome aboard, and I love threads like these.

Bodean likes this.

13. NickDG

NickDG Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2015
    California
    Looks like you left it behind in Florida. :D

14. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Welcome to the forum. "Interesting" introduction. :D Stay around a bit, this is a good place to be!

15. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Welcome to the forums. I say if you like it and you enjoyed the process then its all good, don't let naysayers stop you from doing anything in life or you'll never get up in the morning. Being that you're seventeen, I can see a life long interest in modding and building coming out of this and that's never a bad thing! :)

Enjoy and play the daylights out of it.

Loadedguitar, Bodean and Chont like this.

16. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Hello and Welcome!

17. Loadedguitar

Loadedguitar New Member!

Sep 14, 2017
    Hungary
    Thank you for your kind words! I'm really into modding and tinkering around with my guitars.

CigBurn likes this.

18. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 5, 2011
    Sun City, Az.
    { have pleaded more than once, to never use power tools on a guitar....now just see what happened!
    Actually , I have no problem with relics, just not for me. ....Poppa

Loadedguitar likes this.

19. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
    Hiya!

Some of the relic' does look like it was say, banged around from gigging and what not but ya, overall (imo) it's tough to "relic" a thick poly finish compared to say a nitro one. I guess you could continue to work and experiment with it or not... maybe try your hand at aging some of the parts , sanding the neck, etc... lots of ideas with DIY relicing, aging, etc online...

20. archetype

archetype Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    Is the bridge blocked with a 9 Volt battery?