Remember the young journalist asking us about ash guitars for an article?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by guitarchaeologist, Oct 28, 2020.

1. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

She joined the forum for research and posted this thread back in August...
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/...-comments-for-an-article.550481/#post-4026527

I chatted with her via Skype for about 40 minutes. Recently, she told me most of (all) my comments had been nixed for some clown named Ritchie Kotzen. Who ever heard of him?
    Just because he has a signature guitar? Really?
    Hahaha. I am kidding of course.

Anway, her article is out today. She was kind enough to forward me a link, so I'll share it with you.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...nd-roll-as-prized-guitar-wood-shortage-looms/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    tery, circles, bsman and 10 others like this.
  2. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Scientific American. Isn’t that kind of an oxymoron? I kid! I kid! Seriously, that was a good, albeit depressing, read. Thanks for posting.

CapCrunch, Nick-O, Scooter and 7 others like this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Interesting article, although with a somewhat lop-sided view of Fender's most notable players and, indeed, guitars. I must admit, I hadn't appreciated the environmental factors behind the swamp ash shortage. Thank you for sharing.

4. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

well written and a sad sign of the times...

dogletnoir, circles and T Bone Slort like this.
  5. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Nicely done article, just a drag of a subject really.

circles and T Bone Slort like this.
  6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

You were not kidding.... :D

7. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-Talker

I wish you were kidding! I live in a part of the country where I am surrounded by deliberate, willful, even prideful ignorance. Americans used to celebrate know-how, now they disparage experience. Well, some Americans anyway. There was a popular thread on here a while back, let's call it "Seething Red Lava". I didn't know whether to be more dismayed by all the posters completely unable to discern clear objective reality, or the many respondents who couldn't even be bothered to try! Ignorance isn't a solution, it's a problem! We'll never keep the planet habitable with those attitudes. If the oceans start to go eutrophic, these will be the good old days, when all we worried about was a shortage of guitar wood.

8. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

There's nothing new about an anti-intellectual streak in the United States. Remember Spiro Agnew and the "Pointy-headed intellectuals" in 1970? This concept that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge" runs strong in many parts of the country...

9. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Cant read it...enough depressing stuff going on.

However, I do have my popcorn ready cause I can see where this is going....

giphy.gif

circles likes this.
  10. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

A really well written piece. Thanks for sharing it! Give her my compliment.

11. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

some of us still believe in science :D

science1.gif

12. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

Seems like Scientific American believes ash is an important tonal factor for electric guitars...talk about fake news. She didn't get the answer she wanted from us and ended her participation in the thread pretty quickly, kind of tells me there was an agenda.

They wanted someone to say that one day the classic ash tones might be gone forever due to climate change. If you told her that on your skype call, you might have been quoted in the article.

13. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Man, when a guy from Fender Research is talking about the sharp clap of ash compared to the "rounder" clap of alder, you know the rabbit hole has become a black hole.

I can't figure out if they really believe that, or if they just say it to sound cool to players.

14. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

yep, does seem like the common sense answers she got here, were mostly disregarded in favor of tone wood bullhockey

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    pazman6, Hydr0 and Seamus OReally like this.
  15. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

My older son once worked as an assistant to a research scientist, with a promise of having his name on the paper when it was published. The scientist was trying to prove the efficacy of Ginko Biloba, and Aiden crunched endless numbers of dozens of rolled-up adding machine tapes. His conclusions were not what the scientist or his grantors wanted to hear, so Aiden's work went in the bin.

It kind of soured him on a career in science.

16. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

And thereby convince some believers to pay a lot more for the coveted, and now becoming rare, electric tonewood called ash.:whistling:

17. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

There is 'some' difference, but I'm very wary of general descriptions like 'rounder'. Back in the days when my hearing was really full frequency, I could also hear the difference between rosewood and maple, but it was so slight I really don't feel it should be a factor in which a player chooses. And maple necks certainly don't sound 'brighter', despite Fender consistently claiming they do!

Swamp ash tends to deliver slightly more of the initial transient from the string, compared to alder, which is what our man from Fender Research was trying to convey.

Gevalt, Namelyguitar and Hydr0 like this.
  18. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like a problem destined to sort itself out.

19. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

This is a timely thread, as I can not find any information on what type of wood the ultra tele I bought in 2019 is made of.
    Any ideas?

Namelyguitar likes this.
  20. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

seems like most of the people promoting tone wood as a significant factor for an electric guitar's overall tone are people selling guitars or guitar parts.

At least @Ronkirn is an honest man and doesn't use that tactic to convince people to "upgrade" their builds. He states it like it is, could be some difference, but not a major factor and not very noticeable once it's plugged into an amp.

Thanks for keeping it real Ron.