Remembering SRV .

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by fattboyzz, Aug 27, 2021.

1. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

I saw SRV and Double Trouble live at the Reading Rock Festival, England in 1983.

The full line-up was:

Friday 26th August

Auto da fé
    Pendragon
    Solstice
    Pallas
    Hanoi Rocks
    Man
    Steel Pulse
    Big Country
    The Stranglers

Sat 27th August

Crazy Angel
    Fortune
    Lee Aaron
    Heavy Pettin'
    Mama's Boys
    Magnum
    Anvil
    Suzi Quatro
    Stevie Ray Vaughan with Double Trouble
    Marillion
    Black Sabbath

Sunday 27th August

Climax Blues Band
    Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul
    One the Juggler
    Opposition
    Sad Café
    Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel
    Ten Years After
    The Enid
    Thin Lizzy
    Twelfth Night

2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

I turned down free lawn tickets at Alpine to see SRV, Clapton, et al for that last show because my band always rehearsed Sunday nights. Figured I'd see him some other time.
    I remember vividly listening to Milwaukee rock radio all Monday morning about the crash.
    Sad days. He was a phenom and introduced millions to the blues.

3. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

I'm a huge SRV fan. He's the reason my '93 Strat is a burst (bought it new when I was 20). Hell, back then, I even so much as wore cowboy boots on stage. Imagine that, a 20 year old Canadian in Southern Ontario wearing cowboy boots trying to look Texan. We just don't have authentic "cowboys" in this part of Canada, anyway lol.......I cringe thinking about my Stevie Ray Wanna-bie days lol.....

That said, God only knows what he would have done for the guitar world to date. Sigh.

Here's a beef I do have though with posts on Facebook and other social media sites......people post "on this day, SRV passed away blah blah blah....

Nope.

On this day, SRV was killed.......

Passing away, IMHO is peaceful, surrounded by family, whether your life was short or long (God willing long). Like BB King. Charlie Watts. Neil Peart & the like.

Stevie Ray was killed when a pilot flew into the side of a ski hill.

Not murdered, that's different for sure. Accidentally killed. He didn't accidentally pass away.

Trivial. But, my trivial crutch I suppose.

Boubou likes this.
  4. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

I think it's more direct to say "died" ("passed away" is a euphemism that brings some people comfort). IMO, "Killed" invites other more specific questions that I personally, am not interested in.

I saw him & Double Trouble at the Armadillo WH in Austin, TX billed as the warm up act to Freddie King (or was it Rory Gallagher?). At the time (late '70s) there were lots of local blues acts: I thought "Double Trouble" meant Lou Ann Barton.

SurfsUp likes this.
  5. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking ....

Very fitting .

dante1963, SurfsUp and duzie like this.
  6. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

C226246C-FDBD-4711-878F-F6C4D6D59551.jpeg

duzie likes this.
  7. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster

An amazing musician lost too soon. :(

8. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

For those who speculate about the Texas "mystique": Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and Houston are very cosmopolitan, like most large US cities. Austin's a college town and the capital of Texas, but the Texas legislature seems to have a grudge against Austin and its "libruls".

If not for "Texas chic" becoming fashionable during the '70s Cosmic Cowboy/Outlaws and later Urban Cowboy fads, few city slickers would probably wear western attire-- like most cities, the population is very diverse and "professional attire" is/was the standard working uniform.

"Keep Austin Weird" and "Live Music Capital of the World" are aspirational marketing slogans dreamed up by the Austin city council/chamber of commerce back when it was more applicable. When the Armadillo World Headquarters (a magnet for national musical acts) was demolished in the early '80s, it was replaced by a bank building. Time and the pandemic hasn't helped matters: Threadgill's (where Janis Joplin started her career) finally closed its doors.

Texas is big with many small towns that are much more conservative than the urban/suburban centers, and probably why Texas remains staunchly Republican. Their politics tend to be local, and opinions aren't as shaped by the homogenizing effect of mass media. When cowboy boots and hats are worn in rural Texas, it's usually because they're practical for the work, and not a fashion statement.

IMO, cowboy boots look very rock 'n' roll, but aren't very comfortable unless you wear them all the time.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was born and raised in Dallas and moved to Austin for its music scene.

SurfsUp likes this.
  9. Chubbles

Chubbles Strat-Talker

RIP Stevie!

fattboyzz likes this.
  10. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

I love SRV and have the honor of opening for him. Jeff is probably one of the most underrated guitarist ever. The 2 together is fantastic.

SurfsUp and fattboyzz like this.
  11. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

In 1988 I had the privilege of opening for SRV when he was on the Live and Alive tour. Our band got a call a few days before he was scheduled to appear and it seems that both Steppenwolf and Allman Brothers cancelled at the 11th hour and they needed someone as an opening act. Of course our band jumped all over it. Stevie was one of the nicest and most down to earth artist we have ever worked with. It wasn't too long after that he was taken from us. Though I've got to work with some other great artist Stevie remains my favorite because he was just a sweet man and had no ego what so ever he just loved to play music and entertain people.

SurfsUp and fattboyzz like this.