Removing the four inside screws

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Jackie Treehorn, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

Hey everybody,

Anyone ever try removing the four inside bridge pivot screws on a vintage style bridge. In theory it might help a difficult to keep in tune strat.

2. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

it seems that you might lose some stability in the bridge. the strings put alot of tension on the bridge. have you tried tighting the spring claw to stabilize the bridge ?

3. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I don't see how that would help keep tune. I would think is would lose stability.

4. stratsrgood

stratsrgood Strat-Talker

When I set up a vintage trem I take the strings off and wind nearly all the tension off the springs. The base plate can now sit on the body, take the outer screws down till they just touch the plate and back off the inner screws till you have a gap of about 1/16" between the top of the plate and the bottom of the screw head.
    You have then got the stability of six screws but only the friction from two.

5. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

i would suggest[or rather haynes strat manual would] loosening all 6 screws to 1/16th of an inch above bridge plate,then tightning the outer two until flush with top of bridge plate loosen 1/4 turn now the bridge will piviton the outer screws leaving the other 4 for stability,ajust claw so bridge sits at your prefered angle,this is a much more stable set up as you are only pivoting on two points

6. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

I don't understand this "stability" term....When you back off the 4 inner screws that the heads are not actually even touching the bridge plate, how are they serving any purpose at all? I mean with the outer 2 screws tightened down to the thick bridge plate, where is it going to go?

7. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat

I tend to agree with what you saying. I did everthing listed here and I must say that I like the results. I am not sure of the reason for backing off the outer 2 screws a 1/4 turn.

8. Leebman

Leebman Strat-Talker

I wouldn't do it if you look at the two pin trems they are much thicker screws and there is a reason for it. It may seem fine to begin with but thats a lot of tension and fatigue may well set in and breakage won't be good if your playing infront of a crowd you know it will happen at the crucial bit. Loosening the middle four will dissipate some of the tension and protect the outer screws, if the bridge is sticking take it off and smooth all the edges and aply the smallest amount of lubrication to all the pivot points and then see how it is.

9. 202dy

202dy Strat-Talk Member

Try it. See if you like it.

N.B. The problem of returning to pitch after using the tremolo is rarely the fault of the trem. It is almost always a problem with the nut. If the nut is correct there is rarely a problem with the trem.

Look north, not south.

10. Lowdown

Lowdown Strat-Talker

Ditto.
    And yes,the posts on 2 post trems are way thicker and remember,they're posts/bolts not screws.
    And,when having the 2 outside screws flush and 4 inside backed off they are there as a counter-balance when using the trem/vibrato/whammy/wang bar-whatever.
    ALTHOUGH,having said all that Wilkinson do have a 2 screw version now that I think of it.
    And here it is - Buy Guitar Parts and Wilkinson Tremolo - Wilkinson WV2SBCR 2 Stud Mount Lock - Steel Block at AMS, Torquay

11. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

I have heard the two outer are really the only important ones. I haven't tried this but I believe I read this in Dan Erlewines book on repairs. You'll find a lot of info on this if you search. I have seen this topic come up often.

12. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

I also read the same in Dan Erlewins Repair Book.

He Claims SRV 3/4 of the time only used the two outside screws with the 4 middles removed or completely backed out. And goes on to say that since SRV had thick strings, 5 tremolo springs and absolutely worked that vibrato hardcore, its proof that you only require the 2 outside screws since Stevie was able to get away with it and we all know how good of a player he was.

So it obviously didn't effect his guitar or his sound.

13. DRJIMMIE

DRJIMMIE Strat-Talk Member

Do'nt do it the screws keep tension in check.
    If you're going out of tune try a hipshot tremsetter they work very well.