Repairing a broken strat nut was super glue

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by PatrickTeaneck, Jul 24, 2021.

1. PatrickTeaneck

PatrickTeaneck Strat-Talker

I just picked up a 2000 standard MIM Stratocaster (midnight wine) which I discovered at a busted nut when I got home. It's essentially broken in half at the d string. I bought a tusq XL nut, but then I thought maybe I should just glue the old one back together with CA glue. Do you all recommend that, or should I just install the new one?
    Thanks!
    PXL_20210725_034426939.jpg

Roger66, 3bolt79 and Jmart1212 like this.
  2. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

A new bone nut is less than a dollar, so you know what I'm going to say....

3. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

why not do both?

PatrickTeaneck likes this.
  4. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

Do you have experience with nut filing? If yes, you could buy a cheap bone nut as he suggested. If no, tusq all the way. Use painter's tape and pencil to mark the slots and try to match up with new nut. If you have mild, self diagnosed OCD, such as myself, you going to want to sand the ends and bottom for optimal fit and finish.

5. PatrickTeaneck

Okay, I'm going to glue the old nut and see how I like it. I was just worried that you would somehow change the sound because it's been glued, but I can't imagine it being any different.

6. PatrickTeaneck

Don't have nut files, will go with tusq if I need to replace the original

stratelespaul and vid1900 like this.
  7. Cokeman

Cokeman Strat-Talk Member

Looks like mine

944D9DAE-D39F-46D4-9078-D5FDB9E3B220.jpeg

pn8830 and PatrickTeaneck like this.
  8. PatrickTeaneck

Not a lot of success super gluing the nut back together. Trying to wedge it back into the slot broke it apart again. The new one is a very tight fit. Should I sand it down until it goes in more easily? Also, do you know if the slot is flat or has a radius to it? I don't have a gauge to check.

9. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

Not so much, the key to doing it right though is with some kind of filler material. If you just use glue it will sound dull. You will need baking soda, or what I use is an old nut of similar material that you sand and use the dust/ shavings, to pack the slot and super glue on top to harden it. Look up super glue and baking soda on youtube you will find direction.

10. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Sand the new one very lightly so it's snug but fits in comfortably. When done just right, the replacement nut will stay in place without the use of glue or anything to hold it in. Most folks put a couple drops of glue (I like superglue) to hold it in but it should generally stay in place just with the pressure of the strings.

The key to fitting the new one is to match string Heights as closely as possible. Compare the old and new ones back to back and then sand from the bottom of the new one until the string heights are at the same level as the old string Heights. That doesn't necessarily mean that the top of the new nut will line up with the top of old one. Sometimes the slots are cut deeper or more shallow. It's the bottom of the string slot to the bottom of the knot distance that's important.

There's a possibility that you'll have to adjust the string slots individually using Files. As long as it's close, you can use inexpensive welding tip files – available at a place like Lowes - to make minor adjustments in string slot depth.

fit the old and not in place before you start. Hold the strings down at the third fret. If you have a capo that's the easiest way. Measure the distance from the first fret to the bottom of the strings. When you're done with fitting the new nut you want the distance to be about the same. That's assuming that you guitar is set up right currently. The recommended distance is usually .010. If you don't have any gauges, that's about the thickness of your high E string. You can have a bit more clearance on the low E side.

telepraise likes this.
  11. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Even the Tusq is going to need to be filed.
    If you're lucky, you can get the string height correct by taking material off the bottom.

12. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Lay a business card in the slot.
    If it rocks back and forth, the bottom is radiused. If not, it's flat.

13. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

You Need to Get the tools to do this correctly. Or have it done for you.

Getting the nut correct on a guitar is really important.

just my opinion

14. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Well if you have a gig the same day,its your only guitar,you also have a bit of experience in those types of mods and need it in working condition to pull through the gig that ll bring you money for your girlfriends surgery then....maybe:D but in any other case....work on that nice brand new nut...its a no brainer.

Jmart1212 likes this.
  15. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

If you don't have nut files etc, you shouldn't be putting in the TUSQ nut either - they're not drop in. You need to precisely file for string gauge, width and depth.....it's crucial.....

I think you should take it to a tech....

Bob the builder and jvin248 like this.
  16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah. replace it... if ya just "fix" the existing nut, every time anything unusual comes out of the guitar you're gonna be wondering if it's that dad-gummed nut... and that negative thought is gonna be rattling around in the old brain until ya DO fix it... so jump on it and get to worrying about something else..

17. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Can we see a pic of the damage?

18. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

If no one has mentioned it, you reduce the new nut height by holding it flat on a piece of sandpaper that is on a flat surface. Move the nut, not the sandpaper. Keep it flat on the surface.

I like #240 wet / dry with a little soapy water as lube. Go slow, it cuts quickly.

Watch a few YouTube videos.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

If the break is directly below string I’d be surprised if get it in tune before the string acts like a cheese wire and breaks it again. There just won’t be the surface area on the two broken ends of the nut to take the pressure.

20. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

I really love tusq XL nuts, not a place I be tempted to skimp. Getting the slot height is crucial but tough, patience required. Maybe glue the broken one and use it to help you get close on the tusq one.

Leofender and PatrickTeaneck like this.