Replace 2-1/16" bridge with 2-1/8". Will 1/16" wider be a problem?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Overthere, Oct 9, 2021.

1. rmackowsky

rmackowsky Strat-Talker

Yes

Not sure exactly what you mean by spinning. You can rotate it on its base to adjust it, but it doesn’t spin per se. Here is what I used:

BLACK+DECKER Laser Level (BDL220S) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8GBBS/?tag=strattalk05-20

You can line the laser up from the center of the bridge saddle to the nut slot to simulate where the string will position - very helpful to determine position of the e and E strings.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Lovnmesomestrat and Overthere like this.
  2. rmackowsky

rmackowsky Strat-Talker

That is a very good point - I used hotrail pickups on my Cort partscaster so that wasn’t a factor.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

There are three bridge string spacings

10.5mm 52.5mm - 2 1/16"

10.8mm 54mm - 2 1/8"

11.2mm 56.4mm - 2 7/32"

All work with standard Strat type necks, it just depends how much space you want/need between the E strings and the edge of the neck.

Lovnmesomestrat, Ebidis and Overthere like this.
  4. MT Poteet

MT Poteet Strat-Talker

Perhaps he means "inexpensive import"?
    If he had such a disdain for it, why would he be attempting to improve it?

Overthere likes this.
  5. MT Poteet

MT Poteet Strat-Talker

You can clearly see who posts a thread, so why do you continuously click on his?

Overthere likes this.
  6. Overthere

Overthere Strat-Talker

Ditto that, @Jimbo99. I think the Indio Cali Classic by Monoprice is an amazing value. I'm not well versed in Stratocastology, but when I stop by my local guitar retailer to inspect and play Squire and Fender Strats, I don't notice any important differences between those guitars and my Indio. What I do notice is the oddly thin Squire bodies. =D

The Indo tuning pegs have 'gaps' in the gearing (backlash) so they have to go, and with a tremolo I want locking tuners anyway. The nut's cut accurately but the slots grab my strings, even without using the trem; I'll replace that with a TUSQ nut. I read that the pickups are 'high output' but that can be accommodated by moving them further from the strings. I'm experimenting.

THE MATH
    Guitar with full-thickness body and an excellent neck for $80 on Sale.
    Fender locking tuners (staggered posts) for $49.
    TUSQ nut for $12
    So for $141 I have a working man's Strat that looks exactly the way I want it to (white body, maple neck and fretboard) and is better (sez I) than a comparable Squire.

FWIW, I'll also upgrade the controls (ToneShaper Blender kit) and will likely replace the original trem bridge with a 2-point floating bridge, but neither mod is necessary to make the Indio play well and sound good.

My math agrees with your math. The overall E-to-e string spacing at the bridge is 2-1/16". Replacing with a 2-1/8" bridge results in an overall spacing of 2-1/8". If I'm absolutely accurate in drilling for the two pivot posts, each E string will move outward by just 1/32".

I think that'll be okay. I've seen pictures of "famous Strats" where the strings aren't even close to being centered over the magnets. I'm sure the wider Gotoh bridge will provide proportional string spacing, so D and G will be centered over the poles, A and B will be very slightly off-center, and E and e will be off-center by just a hair more. All the strings will be over the magnets, and nearly centered over each.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  7. Overthere

Overthere Strat-Talker

Thanks a lot for that information, and the link. When remodeling a kitchen, for example, a spinning laser is mounted on a tripod to establish a level line, so all the wall cabinets can be attached at the same height. The laser spins so fast that it projects one continuous line, all the way around the room.

I no longer have one that spins, but I do have a laser sight for a firearm. Knowing that you used a stationary laser for positioning your bridge, I can use my laser sight in the same way.

Excellent. Thank you.

rmackowsky likes this.
  8. Overthere

Overthere Strat-Talker

Thanks, @Thrup'ny Bit. That's particularly helpful in light of what I have in mind.

I assumed there would be three different Strat neck geometries; one for each of the three bridge string spacings. Even if the nuts on all three necks were the same, I figured the fretboard width at the 22nd fret would be sized to fit each bridge's overall string width specifically.

As I delve further into Statocastology, I find some aspects of the venerable Stratocaster to be "surprisingly simplified." =D

Hey, as long as it works...

[EDIT: I found an article online that said ALL stratocaster neck pockets (and neck blocks) measure 2-3/16". So there ya go. Thanks to Thrup'ny Bit for solid, helpful information.]

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  9. Overthere

Overthere Strat-Talker

Yes, indeed. And thank you, @MT Poteet, for this post and your second post. I'm not insulting my Indio Classic; I'm just defining it quickly so readers of the thread know what components are involved. This is the Tech-Talk forum, where we tend to focus on exactly what guitar "specimen" is the topic of the thread.

For the record: I much appreciate my Indio Cali Classic and intend to make it a life-long instrument based on a few inexpensive mods.

10. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Senior Stratmaster

Man, this is great info (at least to me it is); I was not aware of the spacing(s) being able to fit the standard Strat neck. Thanks for this info Thrup!

LMSS

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. rmackowsky

rmackowsky Strat-Talker

Don’t know if you are referring to just Fender strats, but there are 10 mm 50 mm bridges out there - my Cort was one of them.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Fender.

There were quite a few Japanese copies in the late 70s and early 80s that had 50mm bridges.

rmackowsky likes this.