Replace JV Black Bottom PU?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by andybopp, Jul 31, 2020.

1. andybopp

andybopp Strat-Talk Member

I bought a beautiful highly resonant JV 57 - 85 from 83. I will replace frets with 6105. I am thinking about replacing pickups. On one hand I like their sound, because they sound quite vintagelike. There is the warmth I believe due to its age. What I miss is like a third dimension to the sound like Rocketfire and Fralin has. A kind of deepness. My real 57 Strat has the warmth of vintage and the deepness while I have the impression that newer pickups can't reproduce the real warmth of old pickups. my JV Black Bobbins don't have the deepness. Rocketfire and Fralin are close in that respect. Then as an additional problem I made the experience with two Danocasters Strats both with Rocketfire PU. On one I didn't like the sound and I changed them. On the other it sounds really good. Besides Rocketfire has a soundcolour that can be identified easily as Rocketfire which I don't like. I prefer a neutral sound.
    Anyone who followed up to here might know the problem I am in and give me some advice. I really appreciate experienced advices. Thanks.

2. hamerfan

hamerfan Strat-Talk Member

I see you are from Europe, so my advice is to ask Tiho from Croatia for the right way. I see you maybe at a mixed magnet or degaussed A5 or full A2. Tell Tiho also about you favorite Fralins. He makes for you a visual repro of your black bottom pickups with a Custom tailored sound.

info@qpickups.com

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. andybopp

andybopp Strat-Talk Member

thanks. For the moment I decided to stick those pickups. They have this Knopflerlike sound I really like. Maybe later!

4. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Get some kleins or kloppmans depending on which ones you get they're deeper sounding. 62 of any pickup maker seem to all wind the pickups to be more midrangey deeper and warmer while still being bell tone