Replace Trem Block on MIM

Lost Sailor

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 20, 2012
Wolf 359
I broke a whammy bar in the block of a 92 MIM strat....So I got a trem kit from fender, wide block, bridge, claw, springs etc. I only used the block and saddle plate...being too lazy to adjust the saddles for string height, I measured the positions on the old ones and put them on the new block, restrung it, and tested it out..to my amazement I did not need any intonation adjustments at all, checked with my tuner and all was right....but what I am not sure about is the sustain and resonance seem better.

I don't remember exactly how it used to sound, but now it really is great.
My question is "is it my imagination?" or does the thicker block really make that much difference? Or am I just glad it is back in full function?

BartS

Strat-Talker
Mar 19, 2013
MO
Supossitly yeah. I just built a usacg and put a callaham on it suppositly the best. It's built like a brick crapperhouse and it has sustain all day. I don't know if it's just the trem block or the usacg parts or what.

I mean I'm not the biggest fan of sustain I don't think it's the end all be all to good tone. From what I have heard tremblocks and quaility of steel make a big difference. You can have all the sustain in the world and the guitar is not going to play itself though. A good player can take a guitar that would just be dead to everyone else and make it sound good.

Lost Sailor

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 20, 2012
Wolf 359
I notice it unplugged but amplified I don't hear any change, and I probably shouldn't since no changes were made, guess it's more I'm glad to have it fixed. I don't use the trem much anymore, but it is nice to have it if I need it....I think I will do the same to another MIM I have and see I notice anything....I have played MIA's most of my life, and back in the day when I broke an arm in the block (by using it, the MIM broke in a case I may have closed it on the bar, not sure) it was easy enough to go to a local shop and get another one, easy enough to replace.