Replace Tubes Before Bringing Amp For Repair?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chont, Oct 4, 2021.

1. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Well, first thing is: you got to have an amp tech you TRUST. And if you don't have any you know yet, you look for advice from someone you trust (including on this forum or the TDPRI).

Once you have an amp man you trust (from experience or hearsay) you take the amp to him with a set of fresh tubes and he'll do the right things – period. Or he may have the tubes… phone him first.

That's my experience and never once have I been overcharged or disappointed. There may have been difficult repairs, but we worked through them – my trust of my tech being a key part of the recipe: I've never double-guessed him and heeded his advice. I'm happy, my amps are happy, my bands are happy, he's happy.

If you lived in Milan, I'd direct you to him… a passionate, honest tech and has become a friend over time. I'm sure there's plenty like him (or nearly like him :D) all over the US. Once you find a good one, it's for life.

Chont likes this.
  2. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Fender says tubes are covered for 90 days do those are no longer covered. Even if an internal issue caused them damage. I’m fine with the 90 day thing but not being covered if a defect caused them to fail is a liye off to me.

3. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I’m limited to Fender authorized techs in order for the repair to be covered. There’s 2 within an hour drive to me. Went with the one with the better reviews and spoke to him on the phone. Seemed like a straight up dude.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  4. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

I've fixed a number of Superchamps with crackling and popping, one was my own amp. It was dry solder joints on the tube sockets. Seems to be a bit of an issue with these particular amps. Can't say for sure it's the issue with your amp though.