Replaced strat vol pot with push/pull - where to place common ground point?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Explorerman, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Explorerman

Explorerman Strat-Talk Member

So I’m in the process of replacing the vol pot in my USA standard (sss) strat with a CTS pot with a push-pull switch (for treble bleed) only thing is the rear part of the pot was where all of the grounds were connected is now the plastic part of the switch.

I’m proposing to use the bridge/middle tone pot rear part as the common grounding point (soldered wire from the side of the vol pot to the tone pot grounding point). Or - soldering a piece of bus wire between the side of the new vol pot and the middle tone pot and soldering all of the grounds to the bus (I have a few more ground wires after installing a SD red devil with the coil split, shielding, etc than previously.

Any issues with this?

2. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

Usually on push-pull or push-push pots you can solder the ground on the side of the pot.

here’s an example where I grounded the tone cap to the side if a push-push pot.

695AC461-067F-4BFD-AFE5-D05052C60E66.jpeg

3. Explorerman

Thanks for the info, the only trouble with this is there isn’t much room to play with on the side and I have approx 10 x wires to solder to a point (switch ground for coil tap, jack ground, RD cable shield wire, 3 x pickup grounds, ground from tone pot, vol pin 3 ground, spring claw, cavity lug), it’s gonna get quite congested on the narrow side part of the pot.

Attached Files:

4. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

If your volume and tone pots go through a shielding then you can ground to any of the pots to keep fewer wires away from the Switch so long as one of them is grounded from the plug socket. If not then just a small piece of wire from to link each pot's outer case and then use them to ground so long as you solder the ground wire from the Plug socket to one.

Best not to try and solder too many wires to just one point as there's more chance of a,"Dry Joint" which may cause problems down-the-line.

HTH :)

5. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

^ I wouldn't rely on the shielding to ground pots to each other. Higher impedance (possibly) and over time the shakeporoof washers, if disturbed, will break up the shielding around them.

Of you're using a high wattage soldering iron it's quite safe to solder to just about any part of the pot casing metal. I routinely solder to the sides, if only so I don't solder directly over the stamping / etching identifying the pot type.

The real risk is using a low wattage soldering iron that will gently "cook" the entire pot before the spot you're soldering to gets hot enough for soldering. You want a short, sharp, intense blast of heat at the point you're soldering at.

Hal Nico likes this.
  6. Explorerman

Yep that’s what I’m worried about, at the moment all ground wires go to the one point on the back of the volume pot. I just want to confirm that connecting all of the grounds to s different point - ie. some wire between the side of the new vol pot and tone pot won’t cause any issues?

7. Hal Nico

It will not cause any issues and many Strats are wired this way e.g a type of,"Bus Bar" grounding wire across all the pots. It's a kind of,"Belt and Braces" and a good thing to do IMHO.

[​IMG]

Add a,"Solder Sucker" to your tools list,

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=381559115488

US $3.59

Way too useful not to have IMHO to keep the jobs clean.

pn8830, s5tuart and ThreeChordWonder like this.
  8. Explorerman

9. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

That "bus bar" is the way to go, although I would advise building in more "slack" so there's less risk of straining a connection if a knob moves in its mounting.

Oh, and you can shorten cap wires you know :)

Best way to do those treble bleeds is to carefully twist the resistor and cap wires together, load the spiral up with solder, cut the wires short, then solder them on, not necessarily through, the pot lugs. Save the holes for the wires if you have to. Your guitar will work without a treble bleed, but...

One final point, insulate the cap wire on the pot side if the cap. Use cut off cloth insulation slipped over the wire, electrical tape or heat shrink. If the wire on the pot side shorts to the casing before the cap it defeats having the cap there at all.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  10. Hal Nico

BTW that picture was just a stock picture that contained a treble bleed mod. I've tried,"Treble Bleeds" on my Strats and didn't like them :/

11. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I use these a lot too. They carry the ground quite well and remove the need for the bus bar.
    https://www.fender.com/en-US/parts/...J71XgzlSBb4ywEPDsK6pxRMKSGkxII2IaAjASEALw_wcB
    For the time that I don't have one with a push pull I will ground it on the tab that sticks out at the end of the switch. I also always ground all the pickups, chassis, and output to the same spot. If you have a good iron and can solder it will not break... ever. It's not like the pots are moving parts once they are fastened. Especially if you use the locking washers that come with them.

12. Angel S Bunny

Angel S Bunny Strat-Talker

Push pull pots have a ground solder tag at the bottom of the switch!!

13. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

This is some really neat work.