Replacement pickguard for ST-62 MIJ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by diogoguitar, Jul 11, 2021.

1. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Hello there: which pickguard should I buy for an ST-62?

I bought a replacement pickguard for my ST-62 because the kinman pots are 9.6mm (and my original pickguard are 7.8mm).

To my surprise, the american vintage 11 hole pickguard I bought doesn't fit the 11 hole MIJ body. They are just placed in different locations.

A few thoughts:
    1. I kind of didn't want to widen the original pickguard to fit the kinman pots (that's why I bought the second pickguard in the first place)
    2. I don't want to drill more holes to the body or the pickguard. Body wood is basswood, while it sounds great, it is a softer wood that doesn't take extra holes extremely well

here is she with the original pickguard. Thanks!
    p.s.: edited a few measurements I was able to gather by using a caliper

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Mac62 likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I thought this was obvious, but maybe not for everyone. Your guitar is an ST-62. That means '1962 style'. What kind of pickguard did Fender use in 1962? 11 hole PRE-1963 pattern, with the top pickguard screw between the neck and middle pickups CLOSER to the neck pickup. You need a '1962 pattern' pickguard.....and not a regular Fender 11 hole pickguard. Where it comes from isn't the thing that matters, it's the pattern of the holes....

I need to warn you though that nobody can ever guarantee a pickguard fit with all 11 holes, it's impossible to say you're not going to have to rill and re-drill at least 1-2 holes. If you totally refuse to do this, don't change the pickguard and instead just ream the holes out slightly for the CTS pots, easy peasy.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  3. diogoguitar

thanks for the input. The pickguard is supposed to fit an american vintage 62 reissue, 11 hole version.

Since both are 62 tributes and 11 hole, I thought they would fit.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Thanks! That wasn't mentioned in the first post so I had no idea (it's been edited now to say american vintage when previously it did not)....I thought you had bought a normal modern 11 hole American Fender Strat pickguard....

The holes will never all line up perfectly I'm afraid....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  5. diogoguitar

yeah i think I need to find the specific 11-hole pickguard for ST-62... which looks like a little hard to find.

Worst case I'll just wire old school pots on my ST-62 (which is going to be a major hassle since I'm super slow to wire stuff)

anybody knows where to get ST-62 specific pickguard?

6. Guitarmageddon

There isn't one, and even if you did, it wouldn't line up with all 11 holes because wood expands and contracts..... this is the third time I've tried telling you this, in this very thread.

I don't know what else to say, you're looking for a solution that does not exist.

diogoguitar likes this.
  7. diogoguitar

thank you. Yeah, after 20 years it can be impossible to find something that fits exactly.

I did find a seller that makes custom pickguards with the exact specs I need (11 holes, for made in japan and 96mm pots)... I asked him to send a full size PDF to check fitment... but I'm thinking it's too much work for me.

I might as well just wire the whole thing by hand and forget about the damn kinman solderless wiring. Kind of a bummer since I thought it would be super straightforward to wire it up.

Now maybe my other option is to find pots that will fit the pickguard. I need pots whose screws are slightly narrower

8. Guitarmageddon

I prefer Alpha brand pots anyway, they WILL fit.....Alpha A250K short shaft pots.....15mm shaft

diogoguitar and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

^ this.

diogoguitar likes this.
  10. marksound

marksound Strat-O-Master

WD Music will make a new pickguard that fits your guitar.

https://www.wdmusic.com/pickguards-custom-pickguard-order-instructions.html

Basically, you send a tracing of your pickguard, and include any additional details or information. There's a form to fill out and mail in with your tracing.

(Full disclosure, I have a WD dealer account.)

diogoguitar likes this.
  11. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

1. As @Guitarmageddon said, any replacement pickguard will likely have at least a hole or two that don't line up with the existing body holes.

2. As @marksound said, WD can make a new pickguard from a paper tracing of your existing pickguard.

3. As @archetype now says, a $15 tapered reamer from the hardware store can be used to enlarge the existing holes by 1 MM and be a keeper tool for other purposes. It takes about 5 minutes.

BTW: Nice guitar. Do you know exactly what it is? ST-62-53 perhaps?

12. diogoguitar

ok, looks like I'm making progress on the options here.
    1. The alpha pots seem to fit. The only thing is, i'm having a really hard time to find the "reverse audio taper", to wire as lefty (not a big deal if I have to wire as righty... but better if I can find lefty). I know a lefty metric pot exists because that's what I have in my original wiring. I just want to replace with something new because this pot definitely aged after 22+ years of use. Does anyone know where to find "metric" (smaller shaft screw) and reverse audio taper 250k pots?
    2. I'm in contact with someone on eBay, too. They sent me a full size pickguard PDF 100% scale. I printed it out, but I need more time to check the fit (right now I'm working :p).

13. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Just ream out the 3 holes in the existing guard.

Not really sure why that's complicated.

14. Mac62

Mac62 Strat-Talker

Nice guitar!

Another Lefty, here. I have a 1985 or '86 ST-62 in Black. Fine guitars.

diogoguitar likes this.
  15. diogoguitar

hey @Guitarmageddon, I think I'm overcomplicating the whole thing and apologies for the churn.
    Is reaming a pickguard super straightforward and dummy free?

since this is a one-way process, I'm a little nervous about making a permanent change to my original pickguard, but I'm somewhat handy and careful. This is my #1 strat given by my deceased mom.

I watched a couple of videos of some guys reaming out the headstock of a guitar, seems like the only thing to note is to avoid turning too hard, and always be mindful that the hole only get bigger. Outside of that, should I be good to go? I only need to widen this thing by 1.6mm

Here is the reamer I'm thinking about buying

Woodstock D4140 Repairman's Taper Reamer
    [​IMG]\\

And here is the video I watched (Thanks Philip!)

16. Guitarmageddon

You're thinking of changing tuners now?? Those are vintage style for a reason, because of it being a re-issue. If you put modern 10mm tuners on it, you'll destroy the value of this thing.....I would not recommend it. It has those vintage style split shaft tuners for a reason.

Are you having issues with the tuners? Are they strung properly with the string cut and slid into the hole in the middle of the tuner shaft before stringing up, or do you just string it like modern tuners? There is a technique....and if you know this already, sorry.....

What is wrong with the current ones? I wouldn't recommend going to anything else but a similar style.

As for the pickguard, get Alpha A250k split shaft 15mm full size pots, and you don't have to ream or do anything to the pickguard - they are new versions of the exact same pots that came in your Strat stock - and they are better quality than CTS. Some might not agree with me but @Thrup'ny Bit will...

If there is nothing wrong with the current pots, don't change a thing....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  17. diogoguitar

No, I watched the video to learn how someone uses a reamer.
    All I want is to fit new pots to my guitar. I happen to have a solderless kit that have 9.6mm wide shafts.

The only problem I have with Alpha pots it's very difficult to find audio taper left handed (and I'll have to think what I'm going to do with this solderless kit I already have lol)

Maybe the most cost effective thing to do is to just ream the pickguard.
    The other option is to replace the pots with these alpha ones , then sell the solderless kit I have

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  18. Guitarmageddon

Well, the original pots on an MIJ lefty aren't audio taper left handed, as far as I know.....they used the same components as normal 'righty' models......or is it different on yours?

Reaming it slightly won't matter, I took my 1985 ST-57 8 hole 50s original MIJ pickguard and used a drill and bit to cut the holes out for the pots to 3/8" for CTS when I bought a loaded Lace Sensor pickguard.....it was easy peasy....

diogoguitar likes this.
  19. diogoguitar

20. diogoguitar

also, I got paranoid about the original pickguard not fitting the guitar due to wood/plastic movements, so I just screwed the pickguard back to the body