Replacement tuners

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Daveycoyote, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

They will be sloppy in the original ferrules and they're no better than the vintage tuners. They can be an absolute pain when it comes to changing the strings

GitGeek likes this.
  2. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Mine went on a 1952 tele copy. No biggie. Just eminently easy for me.
    Then I learned I was stringing the vintages post incorrectly.I may change it back, some day. The cool part of mods on hardware!

3. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

I bet if you looked at a luthier stringing vintage posts on YouTube you would find something incorrect about how you do it. They shouldn’t slip if strung onto the post correctly. I found out after changing mine!

4. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

But..
    Were you "thinking"...
    Or were you "experiencing"

Two different things ;)

If you're tuners are not broken (loose shaft, damaged gears, broken shaft,...) AND your nut is in good shape then there shouldn't be a problem whatsoever, unless you're Van Halen and doing dive bombs non stop...

Bazz Jass likes this.
  5. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Gold Supporting Member

Floyds lock at the nut, not the tuners. Locking tuners should actually be called string locking tuners. With them, your strings will still slide back and forth across the nut while you play as you bend strings and use the tremolo.

Locking tuners do not lock the strings in place at the nut like a Floyd Rose.

The slotted vintage tuners are still the best around, imo of course :)

nutball73 likes this.
  6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

If you don't want to do modifications then a picture of what's on there might help.

7. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talk Member

This may not be a popular opinion, but tuners are rarely, in fact, almost never the source of tuning instability. The vast majority of tuning issues are caused by the nut and/or string tree pinching the strings. If the nut slots are well filed, and the nut and string tree are both properly lubricated, there should be no tuning issues.
    One trick to avoid string slippage is to tighten the strings around the tuning posts with needle nose pliers when you restring. Once the string is tuned to tension, take a pair of needle nose pliers and tighten the string around the post. The string will go anywhere from 1/2 to 3 steps flat. That’s all the slack around the post that would have worked it’s way out over the next 20 hours of playing.
    If the the above things are all done, a Strat will stay in tune great, even with normal use of the trem.
    The only reason to change tuners is to A) get a higher tuning ratio for more accurate tuning in case the old tuners aren’t accurate enough, or B) Save time restringing because you don’t need as many wraps around the post with locking tuners.
    Seriously, with the above mentioned tricks, both my ‘65 Strat and my modern ones almost never go out of tune, and I bend and use the trem a lot.

8. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker Silver Member

Couldn’t agree more !
    Stretch the strings in properly, and the ‘Safeti-Post’ slotted tuner can be rock-solid :)

9. Michelotti

AND no sharp string-ends
    to stab your finger on.

10. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I'm in agreement with all those in favour of the vintage slotted tuners - I put them on all my builds for the ease of stringing, no sticky-out ends and stability. I wish Gibsons had them on.

The only locking tuners I use are Sperzels - but I wouldn't put them on a vintage guitar.

11. Michelotti

Anyone wanting slotted tuners for their Gibson could consider the set below :

Kluson 3 Aside Nickel Tuners For Mosrite - Hardware & Parts from WD Music UK

These tuners (as fitted on Mosrite 'three-a-side' headstocks) have metal (Fender-style) rather than plastic (Gibson-style) buttons.

So the buttons look different - but at least they won't shrink...

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  12. Bern1

Bern1 Strat-Talker

I have always been surprised that my old 1960 Strat with the trem and vintage tuners stays in tune even better than some of my other guitars. I don’t dive bomb the trem and take care that the strings don’t bind in the nut. To me the original design works great.