Replacement tuning machines other than the fender brand?

Straitsfan

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 18, 2010
VA
Hi. Was wondering if anyone out there can recommend some tuning machines -- locking tuners -- other than the ones from Fender. I put them on, and while they work, the quality doesn't seem to be quite as good as the original Schallers. Are there any other brands that you can recommend that equal the Schallers, who don't make them anymore? I need the staggered machine tuners.

Clickitysplit

Strat-O-Master
May 25, 2021
Temecula, CA
Fan of Hipshot…have staggered sets on 2 electrics and a 3rd set on a baritone ordered with overbored posts. Easy to order direct and customize. Fast service.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Hi. Was wondering if anyone out there can recommend some tuning machines -- locking tuners -- other than the ones from Fender. I put them on, and while they work, the quality doesn't seem to be quite as good as the original Schallers. Are there any other brands that you can recommend that equal the Schallers, who don't make them anymore? I need the staggered machine tuners.

Did Schaller quit making them again? They had started making the Fender-style tuners again about 7-8 years ago, but when I looked on Schaller's site they now only have some of the non-locking models. Might be worth checking in with them about availability.

Namelyguitar

Silver Member
Jun 3, 2009
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Schaller lockers? Not that I'm aware of, although I recommend Schaller for most tuner do-overs. ST members talked me out of lockers, time and time again.

Skinny Nitro

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 21, 2013
Merseyside UK
The originals are now called Schaller F Series and have an S in place of the F on the rear.

Thomann ship to the US

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Planet Waves Auto Trim lockers are great!! They also trim your strings off automatically so you don't need cutters too. As mentioned earlier Sperzels are really good and were the standard for lockers for a few decades. Gotoh, Hipshot and Schallers are really good too. I've used them all and wouldn't hesitate to use any of them again. My favorites, though, are the Planet Waves.

Kestrel

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Sep 25, 2017
Northants England
I find Sperzels a bit hard on the fingers when tightening. Schallers are my favourite and Gotohs come a close second, never tried Hipshot.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
I found the guykers are good if you are on a budget. I put them on my cheap guitars.
On a normal partcaster build I like sperzels.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida

And then there are these ( but search for a better price):

Last edited:

John C

Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
These are exactly what came stock on my two early 90's Strat Plus guitars, and have functioned without fail for 25 years:

And then there are these ( but search for a better price):

Actually your early 90s Strat Plus guitars had the Schaller-made tuners; the current Fender Deluxe Locking Tuners are made by Ping in Taiwan. Fender made the switch in the mid/late 2000s (2006-2008 time frame) on most models with locking tuners, but I believe they still use Schallers on the Jeff Beck Strats.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
Actually your early 90s Strat Plus guitars had the Schaller-made tuners; the current Fender Deluxe Locking Tuners are made by Ping in Taiwan. Fender made the switch in the mid/late 2000s (2006-2008 time frame) on most models with locking tuners, but I believe they still use Schallers on the Jeff Beck Strats.
Thanks for clarifying that....