Replica Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by midifarm, Aug 17, 2013.

1. midifarm

midifarm Commercial Suspension

I know usual rants about knockoffs/ replica guitars, but here's a special situation.

There's a guitar I'd like to get, BUT it's out of production and for the foreseeable future will not be reissued. The manufacturer won't make it in their custom shop. There aren't any for sale on eBay or Craigslist, though I've heard of ones for sale for $20K.

There IS a solution. There is a Chinese company making replicas. I'm assuming that the electronics are crap, but that can be overcome. If the guitar looks and feels just like the original, made of the same wood, same hardware, but replaceable electronics, do you think that it'd be worth checking out? If I get scammed AMEX will take care of it. The cost of authentic electronics and replica wood is WAY less than finding a used one. Any thoughts?

2. OLDGREYGIT

OLDGREYGIT Senior Stratmaster

Do it.
    What is it, by the way?
    I have just had a plunk on a stone dead Chinese Gibson 335 knock off, the pickups were rough and ready, but it played well.

3. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

A friend of mine has a $250 Ric copy. No name, but feels and sounds great. I say go for it, and if you like it, have fun. If you don't like it you can pass it in to someone else that might.

4. midifarm

Gibson DG-335 Pelham Blue

5. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Senior Stratmaster

deleted.

6. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Senior Stratmaster

Why won't Gibson make it in the custom shop?

7. midifarm

I inquired and they said they wouldn't unless I order a number them. Perplexing. Granted its not standard.

8. Sonic Pumpkin

Sonic Pumpkin Strat-Talker

I know someone who has a Chinese knock off DG-335 and he loves it. He has a large collection of guitars and actually plays his DG copy very regularly in his live shows.

9. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Especially since you can't get your hands on one via the traditional route why not?