Request for help choosing strat (4 to choose)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Cedarburger, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Strat-Talk Member

I do not know much about the different strat models, but lately have wanted to add one. Right now there are 4 I have my eye on and was wondering if anyone can offer any advice. My intent is to keep as my only strat. I was looking at Squiers, but prices on the CVs and VMs if you can find them are the same!

They are:

1. 2003 MIM standard SSS with case (least expensive)
    2. 2019 Player Strat SSS MIM
    3. 2011 Fender Stratocaster Modern Player HSS MIC
    4. 2019 Player Strat SSS MIM (most expensive)
    All priced in the same range (350-425). Listed in ascending price (lowest first).

Is one a stand out over the others? I feel like they go quickly in this price range. This will be my only strat and probably would keep.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I'd pick the Modern Player MIC because the quality is amazing, it's like an upgraded Squier Classic Vibe quality....same factory....but Fender logo, and they're on the rare side so I see them perhaps slightly gaining in value over the years....the Modern Player is HSS with black plastics and pickguard right?

3. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Welcome @Cedarburger

I would go for the 2019 MIM Player Series Strat.

AxemanVR and Stratafied like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I'd look hard at the MIC given those choices. I don't like MIM Standards at all and have been less than impressed with the Players.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  5. Foxconn

Foxconn New Member!

Tough choice when you can't really go wrong, but +1 to the player.

6. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

I'd go with the MIM Standard. The MIM's hold their value pretty well, are very well made (in my experience), and that one comes with a case.

It's actually a really tough choice. Those are all great guitars. But I prefer MIM to MIC. Just me, though.

Fender nerd likes this.
  7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

If you cannot hold each one and play them, take your best shot based on the specs

8. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Two of the choices are the same. I don’t know which one to choose.

Pandamasque and Stratafied like this.
  9. Cedarburger

Yes, HSS with black

10. Cedarburger

Lol...just different prices.

11. Guitarmageddon

I'd say the quality of that is above MIM's, @Thrup'ny Bit would 100% agree with me but many others on the forum will not......

Plus the necks have a lovely satin finish reminiscent of high end MIJ stuff from the 90s......

12. Cedarburger

I can hold and play #2 and #3. Possibly #4. #1 I can't see, hold, play in person until end of Dec.

13. Guitarmageddon

eliminate #1, it's the pre-2006 MIM Standard with small frets and a thin sloped tremolo block, and you can't see it for a month.....I'd say it's between the other 3.....

14. Cedarburger

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try to see #2 and #3 today. They are both private party. Since #2 and #4 are the same except #4 is more expensive, I am eliminating #4.

It will probably be all neck feel and visual inspection- no plug in to an amp. Is there anything in particular I should look out for with either?

15. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

2019 players, very good reviews on this guitar. And I prefer SSS strats.

16. Guitarmageddon

Do NOT judge either guitar on how high the strings are, like how the 'action' is, or if the intonation is off etc....all of this can be adjusted on both. Check for neck twist/warp by sighting down the neck from the headstock end toward the body and bridge, and checking that the headstock's horizontal plain is the same as the body. Check for fret wear, check that all electronics work properly.....

evangilder and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  17. Cedarburger

Can see #2 and #3 today. 2019 Player Strat seller claims excellent condition, 2011 FSMP seller claims good condition.

I tend to consider condition heavily since prices are reasonable but not so good > can't pass.

Strangely enough ("squirrel!") I was distracted by something really unusual this morning: a Gretsch Streamliner 2622T with case for the same price. Not nearly the same guitar, but I love semi-hollows!

18. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

Good luck! The Modern Player would be my choice based on specs alone, but it's good to play both just to sure.

For what it's worth, modern Gretsches are pretty amazing. Of all the guitars you've mentioned, I'd probably be most tempted by that, but only because I have more than enough Strats. :D

19. Cedarburger

Closing the loop here and a couple observations. I got to see/hold # 2. #3 couldn't make the meet up at the last minute. I purchased #2 and he dropped the price a few bucks. I wish I could have seen #3 because I am very interested. I will probably wait until I find another or if I sell this strat.

I compared it (specifically neck feel) with all my other guitars (working, broken, cheap, expensive) to see how I liked the feel. I was surprised that the neck felt a little thicker- not in a bad way- than I had imagined or remembered from the MIM I owned years ago. When I compared feel, it was pretty good. The reason this is interesting to me is that I have never been able to compare feel before due to lack of playing ability. At least now I can chord a bit and actually feel what chords are more difficult on some necks and easier on others. Anyway, no more guitars for now (although I may purchase an amp very soon).

Fender identifies it as a:
    "0140220506/ LTD PLYR STRAT MN BLK/ 01-30-2020"
    but also says:
    "I'm afraid that there is no spec sheet available for this FSR model".
    What I found interesting is no "FSR" tag on the back of the headstock. I wonder if it was a customer special order (plastics are cream color, not white).

I am posting pics to show it, but please no laughing at my gear corner...lol. And thanks for all the advice.

Attached Files:

difter likes this.
  20. Guitarmageddon

I tried to advise you to NOT base your judgement on feel, because any guitar can be adjusted - the chording on necks etc, it's all down to setup......

Looks like a nice one! But I'd still get a full pro setup done....

They don't do customer special orders.....that's high dollar USA Custom Shop stuff only.....it's got the exact same specs as any other Player Strat - this is an FSR that has the 'David Gilmour' look....that's why it's done up like this....