Resources for custom pup wiring?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by FoxRodder, Jul 24, 2007.

1. FoxRodder

FoxRodder Strat-Talk Member

I'm interested in learning more about different wiring scheme options. My cheapie old Squier Bullet I picked up last week has a 5 way selector switch and I found that it needs to be replaced because its cutting out in the mid position and only uses one pickup everywhere else unless I hold pressure on it sideways.

So while I'm in there to change the switch out I'm wondering if theres any reccomended custom wiring options I should consider. I've seen the added toggle switch things on ebay but I'm not sure if I need all that.

2. FoxRodder

I found a few websites with some wiring info.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.22pickupdiagrams/

What I'm wanting to do is make the bridge and neck work at the same time. I've seen places mentioning using the push/pull pot and that website has the wiring for that setup. I'm thinking of doing that or wondering why I cant just rehook the wires to the selector in order to make one of my positions always do that and just lose one of the standard positions. I need a new 5 way anyways since mine is messed up

3. bek

bek Strat-Talk Member

http://www.deaf-eddie.net/

He posts here. His Fat-O-Caster switch is GREAT. I have one in my cheapo Squier Bullet, and my tech is just amazed at how good it sounds. Dead stock except for the Fat-O. From the sound of it, you'll have to get a new 5-way, though. Get a new 5-way and a Fat-O-Caster and follow Eddie's master-tone alteration and you'll be a happy camper.

4. FoxRodder

Looks interesting. Wasnt wanting to spend that much but I'll consider it. I'm a full on guitar noob but as with any of my other hobbies I get a kick out of optimizing hardware. My bullet decodes as a 94 model korean and other than the bad selector it actually sounds pretty good to me. I have not gone head to head to compare it to my MIM. I picked up a fender selector the other day from guitar center. I was hoping to also put a fender pickguard and pickup covers as these look crappy. Trying to stay real low budget on this though. But yea that never happens does it!

One thing I'm curious about is how the pickups can be wired in series or parallel so easily. In automotive circuits parallel and series hookups are very different. I'd like to figure this out more on how it changes things.

Now I see there is alot of info on that page. I'll have to come back tomorrow on a fresh start to understand it all. Good link, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007