Join Strat-Talk Today

Returned a New Strat Today

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Unadan, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Unadan

Unadan Strat-Talker

I ordered a 59 AVRI Strat from Guitar Center. I picked it up at the store - later I noticed the guitar jack was kind of sloppy in that a plugged in guitar cord would easily pop out of the guitar - the cord was just not seating properly in the guitar jack.

When I returned it to GC they offered to have their guitar tech look at it. He opened it up and used pliers to crimp the back side of the jack inside the guitar. Bottom line is - I was not comfortable that this would be a permanent fix so I asked to return it and have them order me another. In addition, when he removed the jack plate from the guitar he put a small ding on the front body of the guitar - small, but still annoying.

Is this high maintenance behavior or would you have done the same (returned the guitar)?

My feeling is - for around 2K the guitar should pretty well be flawless when I get it.

2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I would have felt aweful doing it (I assume guilt easier than I should) but I would have done exactly what you did. For that kind of money, it should be flawless and any dings that exist should be because YOU put them there. You did the right thing.

3. Rocket88

Rocket88 Strat-Talker

I returned a $2500 guitar to Sweetwater because it had the wrong tremolo cover plate on it. And also because I just didn't bond with the guitar overall. It was nice, gorgeous actually. But it just wasn't for me. The return process was fantastic and all I had to do was pay the return shipping on it and they gave me a full refund.

A $2000 guitar should be perfect. If it isn't, return it.

4. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't have returned it for the jack- no biggie to have to squeeze the prong a little tighter, but the dent would mean they bought it. Only thing that would change that for me is if it played or sounds unusually good, then I would ask for lots of free strings.

Pyramids! :D

5. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I too would not have returned it because of the jack, but the ding would have bothered me.

6. ChefBlue

ChefBlue Senior Stratmaster

I bought a used LP bass from GC. It got dinged in shipping but was otherwise as near new as a used guitar could be. During the 1 day worth of back and forth emails, the guitar and I bonded! They wanted me to send it back and they would either fix it or replace it......I said no. A couple email later, they ended up refunding me about half the purchase price.
    Having said that (and I know mine was no where near the cash you spent) I would not have any trouble sending it back......unless, there was that bonding thing.......at which point it would be up to your negotiating skills and balls!

7. Unadan

Unadan Strat-Talker

Honestly I would have kept the guitar with the input jack fixed if they hadn't slightly dinged the area right above where the jack plate sits. That was the tipping point for me. I knew if I kept it it would bother me - not worth the aggravation. This guitar had a beautiful marbled maple neck - sorry to see her go back.

8. kwikrp

kwikrp Strat-O-Master

You bought brand NEW and you PAID for brand NEW. IT SHOULD BE in perfect condition

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

When these new Vintage models came out with their flash coat finish, it was always perfectly clear that this was a thin finish that would chip & dent easily. Fender boasted about it - people bought them & looked forward to the natural relic look that would inevitably soon develop.

And now people are getting upset when a small chip appears. I don't get it! If you don't want a guitar that chips & wears easily, don't buy one with an ultra thin nitro coat applied without a poly sealant coat.

This is (presumably) why Fender used a poly sealant coat on their vintage style models for so many decades. Maybe this new flash coat wasn't such a good idea after all?

10. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I most likely would have kept it. but I really would have liked to see a photo of what was damaged. "a small ding" would have bugged me but I would have gotten over it. I get it is a big cash purchase, but the overall unit, how did it play? was it even given a chance?

Apply your same logic to new furniture, automobiles ect... would you have done the same?

All over in this forum you will read that guitars are not the same even in the same models and years, each unit is unique, the synergy of the parts and woods, nature and all that stuff. I would have looked at the guitar not as individual pieces (small ding in the body) but as a whole, if it was awesome, it would have never left my hands. you may get another and not "bond" with it, with the one you returned you may never know if it was really cool or not.

11. QReuCk

QReuCk Strat-Talker

I wouldn't have bought a guitar without trying first for that kind of money actually. This is a pretty big price and what happens if it's in perfect condition but you end up not bonding with it?

12. revmike

revmike Strat-Talker

Totally respect your decision to return it. Nothing at all wrong with expecting to get what you paid for.

That said, I don't know if that's what I would have done. I would have been ok with the tech replacing the jack. As for the ding? Well...some people would call that relicing and pay good coin for that! ;)

Seriously, I'd have probably made them compensate for it in some way....like a bunch of free set ups, or whatever. Dings don't bother me so much. But then again, I've never owned a $2000 guitar, and likely never will.

Either way, I hope they make it right. Everyone makes a mistake now and then. Its all in the recovery. Good luck.

13. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

All depends on the neck. If I love the neck, I'm keeping it. And I think many of us would have just pulled the jack plate off ourselves to either put--or avoid--the ding in the body.
    I don't think you over reacted once he dinged it, though. I drape cloth around what I'm working on when working on someone else's guitar to avoid this. If soldering, I mask and cover so I don't drop hot solder on the finish. But I also don't do it for a living.

14. michplayer

michplayer Senior Stratmaster

This. It's your money and you worked for it.

15. Danomo

Danomo Former Member

Even IF perfect, I couldn't bring myself to spend 2K on a guitar...

16. 1993plus

1993plus Strat-Talker

Yep you did the right thing... With the jack, i have to do a crimp every 5- 10 yrs years on mine so thats no biggy - but they should have fixed that without damaging the top. Let someone else buy the guitar with the dent...

This is a good reason to have work done by the tech at the store where you bought the guitar - "you break it, you bought it" applies to them too!

17. smurph1

smurph1 Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely.. I returned a Gibson 335 to Sweetwater this summer.. It had very serious wiring issues!! I couldn't believe it actually made it out of the factory!!

18. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

Not everybody buys a thin finish for the same reason. Some people like a thin finish for sonic reasons, but don't want it to relic fast they want it to age very gracefully and they take very good care of their instruments. When it comes to people that do like relics- believe it or not- some like the worn finish look for the aesthetic, but don't want a bunch of dents- especially if they go into the wood. Then you have people that don't mind a dent if they put it there, but don't feel like they should pay full price for a guitar with a dent that the dealer put there. But more to your point- poly doesn't stop dents... it does however minimize the damage. In that respect you are absolutely right that it might not be a good idea to buy a guitar with this type of finish. It just depends what you want out of a finish in the first place.

19. tturunz

tturunz Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, I'm sorry to say. These AVRI 59s age very rapidly, and the nitro is extremely thin. I've had it worked on by a few luthiers and it has comeback with a new ding/scratch almost every time, its just the nature of these guitars. Whats more important was how well you bonded with THAT particular one.

$2,000 guitar should be perfect in every aspect, yes. Also, its hard to judge if you were being picky without actually seeing the ding. In the end though, I'm just some idiot on the internet, and thats YOUR money and YOUR guitar and you can do anything you want because I don't actually matter.

(source: I have a 59AVRI, and owned it for less than a year and it already has considerable wear on it. pick scratches above pick guard, necklace scratches through finish into the wood, countless dings. But I LIVE with my guitar, it's almost always within arms reach. It's my companion...)

20. michplayer

michplayer Senior Stratmaster

I feel I should say, I spent near $1700 for an AmDe HSH and it is the best guitar money I've ever spent. I wanted deluxe, and got it in spades. Plays like a dream and the compliments on my tone are very satisfying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.