Returning to the workplace?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chont, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

we like where we live and the commute was fine for a while. Not about to move close to the city and pay the high taxes and uprooting a huge family like we have is not really an option either. Getting older and now that I’ve gotten used to not commuting it would be tough to go back. Hoping it’s either not a full week or an optional thing.

I’ll probably know more on Thursday. I might also consider seeing about a switch to a different department. Archives supposedly isn’t budging on keeping people at home. Might be a pay cut but might be worth it.

3bolt79 and guitarface like this.
  2. aiabx

aiabx Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Once I've had my second shot, I'll go back, probably around 3 days a week. I miss my bike ride to work and lunch with my coworkers at the local pubs.

3. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I preferred working from home. I've been retired for 3 years, so no impact.

They have everyone working from home permanently now, and aren't renewing their lease.

Software so everything is online anyway. There's a ton of new tech for team work but some will miss the office.

Chont likes this.
  4. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

As far as I know right now, plans are to return to the office around the first week of July. Personally, I've worked from home enough over the years, I'd be just as pleased to continue. I can do my programming from anywhere with a connection.

Chont likes this.
  5. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

I‘ll be glad if we can get back to working from the office. Turns out that all the time you saved commuting got eaten up by more work. If you did get to the office you’d be the only one there, so there was little point.

My employer expects that we’ll never go back to working fully from the office, working from home 2-3 days a week on average.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. nungesser

nungesser crash into your windshield of love

I'm self "Un"Employed so not much has changed for me :cool:

3bolt79, Biddlin and Impulsive guppy like this.
  7. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Silver Member

And without people in the office to manage, it might become obvious that the managers and supervisors are not needed!

3bolt79, Chont and Biddlin like this.
  8. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

This is so true. I was just telling a colleague today that 8am seems to be the new 9am as I now regularly have 8am meetings scheduled...sometimes earlier. On the other side, it seems the day never really ends unless I just pull the plug on the computer. Leaving the office to head to the train/bus creates a firm "end" to the day and forces you to pack up and leave.

I'm so tired of the "triangle of death" which is waking up in the bedroom, going downstairs to the office, then to the living room to relax in the evening, and then back to the bedroom to go to sleep. Rinse and repeat.

Malurkey likes this.
  9. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talker

Worried about going back in Sept? Pffft........I could only dream.

I work for a small Telecom and we went back to the office in March. I definitely prefer working from home.......but it was nice to "socialize" with peers again. We just went maskless inside the office about 2 weeks ago (we could be maskless in our offices, but not in shared spaces). That was nice and helped make things fee like we're getting back to normal again.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I always worked for myself and always worked from home. The boss is an azzhole, but it has it's perks.

nigelr, madmtnmotors and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Ditto.
    My boss and communications guy worked from home a couple of days a week.
    I've been here every day.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'm in construction so we never stopped. I really think this will change a lot of businesses though. They probably already realize people don't really need to be offices that much. So it wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of office spaces, then buildings going away

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-Talker

I”m in the same situation, if I can still work at home for 3 days per week it would be perfect. I usually drive for more than 2 hours to commute home-office-home. But I need as well to be in touch with colleagues and my team members.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

While working at one office in Memphis, Tennessee (pre-Internet), everyone there lived within 30 minutes of the workplace. We showed up for work, and later left for home after a long day.

How do modern companies track workers, and their hours spent actually doing their job? o_O

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. Chont

They’ve done such a great job making it streamlined that this is really the only reason to come back LOL.

59884BD6-84FB-478B-9DED-92DBB571ED59.jpeg

16. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Generally for my team, I don't track. Finance can be rather repetitive in the tasks and they know what they need to do and the deadlines for their work. They've proven pre-COVID that they don't require micro-managing which is great because I hate doing that.

For those managers who prefer to micro-manage or who have teams that require such, you can see a person's status via Microsoft Teams...what we use for video conferencing. I'm sure there are ways to game the system (have someone wiggle your mouse for you every 15 minutes so your light stays "green") but it would be a bit of an undertaking. Other companies track internet usage so they can see how much time staff spend on sites like Strat Talk.

Michael919, 3bolt79, Chont and 2 others like this.
  17. Chont

We use teams for certain things. It comes in handy when someone calls and can’t figure something out on a their Corp pc. We can have them screen share. For their edit systems we can VNC into it.

I jest about the micro manage aspect. I must say, our company has done a phenomenal job with the WFH transition. Too good obviously and we pretty much have carte Blanche as long as the work gets done. You really can’t goof off because the ingest, transfer, export and feed requests etc just keep coming and if you don’t keep up on them they pile up fast and you get buried real quick. And if calls are coming in for tech help it can be daunting.

Mouse and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-O-Master

I've gone to work this whole time. I wasn't given an opportunity to work from home.

3bolt79 and elduderinoTF like this.
  19. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

This was me until 3 months ago, when my current work project metastasized and became a 7-day-a-week, 13-16 hour-a-day marathon where wasting 90 minutes a day in the car was counterproductive.

Since late Feb I've to the office only 1 day a week, and have had to skip a few of those.

Little to no time for shopping or entertainment. Thankfully the forum fits neatly in a corner of my screen... :)

I've been more quarantined for longer than most who were actually quarantined, all across the time where most were un-quarantining.

Vault-Boy, they call me at work now.

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

Worked daily during 2020 and thru April this year in hospital setting, endured masks, micromanaging Covid drugs inventory 7 days a week,
    overseeing "vaccine" program implementation.
    Finally said f*** it in January, retired in April......

If I was a teacher I could have avoided this and those deadly children......