Returning to the workplace?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chont, Jun 9, 2021.

1. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Been back for a few weeks and happy to be there. I have missed the human interaction, ability to collaborate in person, and the free coffee. My company is only allowing fully vaccinated people back in at this time.

3bolt79 and Chont like this.
  2. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

I assure you, many (most?) were not, but some definitely were.

FuncleManson and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

I’ve been back in the office for about 10 weeks now. It’s only as required, but amounts to about 2 days a week, the rest virtual. I’m happy to be working.

4. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

I just deliver beer, there's no stopping for us, we had a slow down when bars/restaurants were closed and people were staying home, might have been the best months of my career, no traffic, no 150lbs kegs etc...

5. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Silver Member

If you really want to work from home,
    I really doubt any company wants to try to find replacements at the moment.

Good time to pencil in that vacation time too!

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

I screwed up... I was blissfully retired June last year, and...well..... they made me an offer I can't refuse.
    I don't plan to stay too long, and now I can buy more guitar stuff, so what the hell.

3bolt79 and duzie like this.
  7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

And the next step, when the realize that they don't actually need to have people physically present, while "we" move to more affordable states to remotely work our well-paying jobs, our employers will decide that they can just as easily ship the jobs overseas and pay 1/4 the amount.

Telecommuting has always been a double edged sword. It's more convenient in eliminating the commute for the worker, and helps avoid the office politics, but "out of sight, out of mind" also comes into play when it's time for reviews and promotions.

There's also the unhealthy aspects of lacking the physical and temporal separation of home and the workplace.
    A lot of people got to the point that they attempted to restore some normalcy by returning to their old morning routines while WFH... they would get up, shower, get ready for work, then go for a short drive, return home and begin working.

Michael919 likes this.
  8. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

that is correct!

9. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

I never stopped going in do to the nature of my position and our essential operations. Looks like phase one will be 2-3 days a week in for our office workers and phase 2 will be four days per week.

I'm seeing a lot of chatter about a side effect of permanent remote work: compensation for positions in geographies with higher pay due to higher cost of living will drop through attrition. No need to pay people large city salaries if they can live anywhere. Side note: This also means competition for jobs turned remote may now open up to people everywhere.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Chont likes this.
  10. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Department con call is in about an hour... I have a feeling this will be the subject. Fingers crossed.

11. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Just Blundering My Way Through Silver Member

Worked from home in April and May of last year (2020). Returned to the office in June 2020 and have been back ever since. Would like to have the option to WFH two or three days a week but the owner is not open to that idea... :(

Chont likes this.
  12. Chont

that's a drag. I'm thinking we will be asked to come in one to two days a week. Not so bad I guess.

where in FL are you? I lived in Dunedin for many years then in Orlando before heading up north.

13. Chont

One of the things that does suck about WFH is the loss of hands on training. There are some tools that we use that i'm still a little unfamiliar with because i was still fairly new to the department when things shut down. I could train over the phone and screen share but there's an in person element that is sort of lost.

14. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

I was full time remote before the pandemic. They're going back in Sept. I remain at home, except for an occasional trip in for some face time. Mwahahahah

Chont likes this.
  15. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Easily done if their work involves a tangible end product or other measurable result. In cases where the work is less tangible, such as computer-based stuff, actual time and focus can easily be monitored with software.

Chont likes this.
  16. Chont

My Boss and My bosses boss are on the email DL that requests come through so they can easily tell if someone is not pulling their weight.

Not a peep on the con call about returning. I will continue to cling to hope beyond reason LOL

Stonetone likes this.
  17. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Just Blundering My Way Through Silver Member

I'm in Saint Cloud and work in Orlando. Commuting wasn't bad most of last year but traffic has been increasing steadily since winter and I figure by the end of this year we will be back to pre-pandemic gridlock...

at least the radio in the car still works! :cool:

Chont likes this.
  18. britanyweel

britanyweel New Member!

Employers may decide that, despite the relaxation of limitations, the best way to guarantee their employees are working safely is to continue asking them to work from home, even if the May decision permits more individuals to return to work. Employers are likely to retain their "discretion" in terms of how they guarantee safe working conditions. It's essential to consider the workplace layout and how employees feel about it. It's necessary to provide everyone with personal space and areas where they may unwind after a long day at work. My firm leases out serviced offices, and for a very little amount, you receive a great space.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  19. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

That is a very good point Rich, and i'm quite sure the bean counters somewhere in the company are studying and contemplating this :eek:

CB91710 likes this.
  20. Chont

That may be true in some cases, but I think having to train people makes it a bit foolish and cumbersome. Especially for my company. There's No WAY they could decide at the drop of a hat to outsource.