• Reverb or delay.

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Use what's appropriate to the song, the part/instrument/voice, but just as importantly… the acoustic space you're in. Too much reverb on a guitar amp in an already reverberant space just washes it out, making it sound like it's playing at a public swimming pool.In general, less really is more.

I remember going to a local music festival. The first act on was a bunch of middle-aged stockbroker types who'd got decent digital effects they'd probably set up at home, plus some tiny amps, going into the Front of House. Sounded crap-awful, for the most part – and that was with a lot of help from the sound engineer. (Sadly, once you've sent the desk out front a 'home hero' version of a David Gilmour playing-a-stadium reverb and distortion mix, there is no 'Magic' button that can back it off.)

The next band was a bunch of young guys with basic gear, like Squiers and no-frills amps that were designed for gigging. (Marshall, Peavey heads and big speaker cabs.) Not an effect pedal between them. Bam! They were on the money and sounding great. Nothing fancy, just really punching that air.

In a live situation, I'd happily use neither, rather than get it wrong.

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
Just a touch of both, please. Shaken, not stirred. Memory Toy always on, at it's lowest settings. Amp reverb on a bit just because. DD7 when needed, especially for stereo madness!

Last edited:

Oldiemurphy

Strat-O-Master
Jan 23, 2022
Austin, TX
Both, almost always. I use a Keeley Hooke reverb along with a Keeley Caverns verb/delay, and an old DOD fx90 delay. Also a JHS hall reverb that I don't use much.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
As @simoncroft said, reverb is useful in studio and home setting, but if you‘re in a resonant venue with a good natural reverb, probably no need to add more.

Delay is a different story, from slap back to spacial ambiance, it needs to fit the piece you’re playing…

Latest posts