Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Reverse strat

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Vinnie1971, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Slight hitch - I wanted a superswitch for and a push pull that decides if in the middle position the middle pickup is selected or bridge and neck instead. Needed an extra 5mm. I little chisel work and a touch up it’s all good!

IMG_1132.JPG

2. Vinnie1971

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Pickguard just about wired up. Apart from the humbucker as I found a dimarzio Virtual PAF go £45! So this one is coming out.
    The push pull sets the behaviour of middle position on the superswitch - down it’s the middle pickup, up and it’s neck and bridge.

I’ll see how the Squier Standard alnico single coils sound. From memory on a 250k tone pot with a .033 uF cap they sound good, but I rather like the sound of these hand wound late 50s single coils from axesrus
    http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Late-50s-Single-Coils-p/late50s-uk-sc-set.htm

Here’s the wiring - not my neatest but it’ll do!
    IMG_0158.jpg

3. Vinnie1971

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Removed the previous headstock decal and lacquer then relacquered and applied a better decal - a few more coats to go...

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.JPG

4. Vinnie1971

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Coming together now.
    I removed the decal as it was a bit too big, got a smaller one on the way.

Everything is wired up now.

A push pull sets the super switch - when down everything is regular strat, when up the middle position puts both humbuckers on instead of the middle pickup.

IMG_0163.JPG

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017

5. Vinnie1971

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.

6. Vinnie1971

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Finally completed!

Plays fantastic- I love the Virtual PAF, the Squier Standard alnico 5 single coils sound pretty good, if not a little generic.

Action is 1.9mm bass side to 1.6 treble side at 12th fret. No buzz.

The pickguard needs a tiny bit shaving off the bridge area as it just touches. But overall a success.

IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG

7. Vinnie1971

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Update

A couple of issues with the build, the body turned out to be 41 mm so the big block trem I have in the way won’t fit.

Plus the trem holes are very slack and the whole trem moves and contacts the pickguard in use. ( fender spec pickguard is a bit bigger than import one )

So I found a full depth body and moved it all across.

I think it looks better in black too.

View attachment 261193

View attachment 261194

View attachment 261195

The old tuners had stiff spots so I replaced those too. I stuck with trapezoid as I don’t want to fill holes and drill new ones and any old holes still visible.

luck must have been smiling as the neck holes lined up!

Plays nice only a slight adjustment to intonation. Action still the same !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017

8. Vinnie1971

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Updated project.
    The red body was only 41mm thick and not deep enough for my big block Tremolo...

So it’s now got a new full thickness body and amazingly the neck holes lined up !

It’s now got Axesrus late 50s handwound single coils in the neck and middle and down Dimarzio Virtual PAF in the bridge. The late 50s classics have a slightly squatter bobbin than regular single coils and tried a slightly P90 like tone. They go well the the Virtual PAF.

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

The strap completes the look!

Dan_Q likes this.

9. Vinnie1971

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    The reason I wanted a full thickness body

Thin cheap sustain block - I have known these to crack where previous owners decked the trem and dive bombed or screwed the arm in too far!

IMG_1384.JPG

And the full sized block - from Amazon for less than £20 for the whole bridge, springs, push in arm and block

IMG_1385.JPG

And installed - nice and room to move with a cover on ( not yet adjusted but will be set to float about 2mm) :

IMG_1386.JPG