Rewire, buzz, rewire, duh...

PeteGeordie

Strat-Talker
Feb 12, 2021
UK
So continuing my alternative control wiring saga I decided to re-solder a new wire from tremolo plate directly to output jack ground. This means only 2 wires to solder when swapping my pickguards.

The 30 yr old very thin wire from the tremolo plate to ground on volume pot had clearly been squished at some point and didn't look great so I put in a decent new wire.

Now as I was soldering to the tremolo plate I decided to treat myself to a new 48w soldering iron. My near 50yr old iron was probably ok for the job but a variable temperature one tickled my fancy.

All good so I completed the job and resoldered the other grounds as well.

Put it back together to test and... Horrible buzz.

I'd checked everything with the multimeter before putting it back together. Took it all apart again cleaned off all old solder joints and resoldered. Check with meter... All great. Put it all back together, plug in...Horrible buzz.

WTF!!!

At this point I decided to try the Tele. Same buzz. DOH! Waste of a couple of hours of my life. I decide it must be the amp so would give it a rest and have a cup of tea before checking that out. Switched off the soldering iron... And the buzz stopped.

It was the bliddy transformer on the iron close to the amp.

Feel like an idiot but at least it wasn't my soldering ☺️

PeteGeordie

Strat-Talker
Feb 12, 2021
UK
Another partial success Professor! At least you didn't get solder in your eye.

NO, as I need extra magnification glasses when soldering now which double as safety glasses ;-)

Anyho all the wiring mods work as I want them.

Tone 1 for middle/neck
Tone 2 for Bridge
Push/Pull on Tone 1 switches tone circuit out completely
Push/pull on Tone 2 puts Bridge + Neck in parallel
Push/pull on Volume kicks in a treble bleed