Richie Sambora Signature Stratocaster - what's up with that?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by davidrf, Jan 15, 2011.

1. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

[​IMG]

There's this common conception of Richie Sambora Signature Stratocaster being one of the best Strats money can buy. Ever.

Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

That would be absolutely true . . . if you thought so... Someone who thought the Eric Clapton Signature Strat (or any of the other Signature Strats) were the best Strats ever, might disagree. Who's to say who would be correct.

And if you absolutely hate Floyd Rose hardware... it's not even gonna get the needle off the peg on the Howsweetisthis-o-meter.

Whatcha like is whatcha like... and a tool used in an artistic medium's quality is directly related to the artist's preference for THAT tool. Sorry, but that means for some, a 2 ton Less Paul with active pickups and more electronics in it than Lawrence Livermore labs may be "best".

Or... there is NO best... there is only what you wanna have... until GAS hits again... then it all changes. . . again..

Ron Kirn

bloomz likes this.
  3. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

Uh I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that this "conception" I keep hearing about is mainly about built quality, components and "price/quality" ratio, not about how the guitar sounds (that is naturally a matter of personal taste). Maybe it's one of the many myths in the guitar world?

4. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

I've never tried one but I am sure if plays well. Not a big fan of the Floyd though........

5. Texocaster

Texocaster Senior Stratmaster

The Floyd is an absolute deal breaker for me.

6. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

one of the fender strats that was made for richie (not the model that has his name on it) just sold for about $7000 grand. it first sold for over $10,000 a few months ago and then I saw it pop up again as "used" for $7000.. someones wife wasnt happy I guess

7. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

There's one that appears sporadically on KIJIJI around here but no one bites.........could be the $8500 price tag!

8. dmuncaster

dmuncaster Strat-O-Master

You've got to be in love with deep whammy bar dives to love any guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge. And if you are, that might be the best Strat in the world for you.

Darn... where did I put that $8500? Must be in my other pants...

9. borismcorpheus

borismcorpheus Senior Stratmaster

Might be a nice template for a shred guitar, but I just can't take it seriously with those star fret-markers. I'd probably rather have a MIM HSS FR or something.

10. jflintmac

jflintmac Most Honored Senior Member

Are you kidding me?
    Does a FR strat really sell for 7-10 thousand bucks?
    It must be the stars!

11. VENTgtr

VENTgtr Strat-O-Master

Love this answer.

I actually used to use Floyds. In the 80s...ya...I did some of the wankery...but it never really fit naturally with how I played. Put Floyds on the strats for years for tuning stability, etc. plus I loved the Floyd as a handrest. But, once settled into how I played and developed my own schpiel, the most I ever did was a slight "shimmering" on chords. So, I eventually took them all off.

Have nothing against them though.

The Sambora strats that were black and paisley, I thought were sharp. I still look for those bodies. But, Mr. Kirn's answer says it all very well.

Personally, if I'm paying $7k for an instrument, the "case" it's in better be a Triumph Spitfire in perfect shape (Want one..and the price range is about the same). Then, would seem like a more reasonable transaction.

bloomz likes this.
  12. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

I saw the one I was talking about at the store when it was first listed as "new" and it was a really nice guitar. set neck, recessed floyd, something like a 12 inch radius. nice quilt top. I was interested in it but wasn't interested enough to pay several grand just because it was owned by or made for someone famous. there is a clapton strat that also sold recently "recommended for E.C by J.W Black" for something a bit on the high side but I dont remember what that price was.
    [​IMG]

13. saunamusic

saunamusic New Member!

I have one, it´s the mexican edition, not the american, so it doesn´t have the stars (luckily), but has a Dimarzio humbucker and the floyd rose II. I know most people don´t like floyd rose on a strat, but i feel it´s absolutely fantastic, i use it moderately, but its awesome to have it available anytime you need it, and you can be sure it´s not gonna de tune one bit. I actually use it sometimes without the tremolo bar, its so useful you can handle it only pulling it with your hand. I don´t konw what year it is, i think around 96 , I got it used at a very good 350dollars, which i think is an excellent price for what i got, sounds really great, has the floyd rose original from the fender factory, and is truly comfortable, I don´t think i´m gonna ged rid of it for a while, i have other guitars, but this one has a really cool feel, I like to have different sounds from different guitars, but this one is definitely a keeper in my lineup.

14. bryvincent

bryvincent Strat-Talker

that was my dream strat when i was a teenager. and i still want to own one. they're hard to come by though. even USA Floyd Strats are hard to come by these days.

BTW, Ritchie had a second version of his sig strat with a vintage trem and Fender Hot Noiseless pups w/ 12dB midboost
    [​IMG]

15. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

It just doesn't look right to me with the Floyd system at both ends and the pickup colour mismatch. Might as well be a partscaster or some other name brand and not a Fender.

16. SatDoug

SatDoug New Member!

I have one of the Black Paisley guitars made in Japan 1996. I bought it used about a year ago from a local seller. I really loved the design. Build quality is very good (but I also have an SG & a PRS SC245, and it is not any better than those). The pickup select switch was a little noisy when toggling, and I couldn't take it anymore so had a quality shop replace it. The shop said it was the standard stuff Fender uses that fails more than it should, and I had it replaced with a high quality German-made switch. Everything else is original and of course I kept the old switch. The neck is a tad thinner than a few other Strats I have played. It's my only Floyd Rose, and it does work flawlessly, though I personally do not use it much. String changes take a little longer, but if you do two at a time there is no need to adjust the trem springs and intonation stays locked on. The DiMarzo humbucker really sounds great on it and I use that 90% of the time (plus I am not a big fan of the (somewhat noisy higher-than-usual output Texas Special) single coils).

17. Valliere

Valliere Strat-O-Master

Pics please?

18. VoxPodio

VoxPodio Strat-Talk Member

Don't know about that. Never touched one. But this model is really saught after in Asia. At least in Thailand. Not 7k range tho, maybe 3k.

19. blackstrat

blackstrat Senior Stratmaster

The black paisley model was made in Japan as far as I remember.

I've got one of those cherry sunburst usa ones and it does play and sound very nice and really love the features but I bought it NOS around '99-'00 for the equivalent of about $1.5k-$2k - $3k+ for a used one seems a bit steep to me. There was also a custom shop version so maybe this model can fetch this kind of money.

20. SP2333

SP2333 Strat-Talk Member

I don't need a Floyd to play massive amounts of wankery on a strat. I've got even bigger wank factor scalloped fretboard.

The stars on the sambora turn me off.