Rick Beato string gauge

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thunderhopkins8, Jan 28, 2020.

1. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

Well said. The videos I have seen show that heavier strings cause an increase in bass which, perhaps, then overrides and squashes the highs from the other strings, resulting in more bass and less presence and treble and a more muffled sound.

Of course, the more distortion you are running through, the less prominent it is going to be, but Rick's video was with a good amount of distortion, revealing that these characteristics do shine through. Which is why Rhett Shull realized that 10s (or 11s on one of his guitars?) weren't actually giving him better tone, they were muffling his tone by reducing presence and bite.

So the question is... is this reduction in presence/treble and increase in bass something that you can EQ out (and back in) on the amp or not?
    If you can EQ it, then who cares?
    But maybe you cannot EQ it back in (or out) because it seems to be how the signal is hitting the preamp tubes. But I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm just trying to draw logical conclusions/assumptions from the data I have observed in the video.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  2. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Senior Stratmaster

At one time I used 8’s, and to me they sounded louder, and had a more defined tighter sound than the heavier strings. I use 9’s right now, and they have the defined tighter sound of the 8’s, and the low end as well, but not enough that it muffled the sound, as you said.

stratmatt777 likes this.
  3. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

Can you tell which guitar has the heavier gauge strings just by listening to those two tracks?
    Would you consider either sound 'muffled'?

4. stratmatt777

I haven't listened yet because I am not at my computer with the studio monitors, but I'm going to assume that those two clips are not the exact same guitar with different string gauges, through the exact same amp with the exact same gain and EQ settings.

The extreme, minute, tonal variations we are talking about here are certainly not hearable by any listener or audience... and especially not on a computer that does not have studio monitors. And are probably not hearable in a mix with other instruments.

We are talking about differences that only the player can hear. Differences so ridiculously subtle that a player will never ever hear it unless he has two identical guitars with different gauges on them and does an A/B comparison. And then you also have the option of tweaking amp EQ to compensate for differences in string gauges.

Nobody needs to be proven wrong or right on this issue.
    It's all subjective. It is healthy for all people to hold varying different opinions that are in opposition to other opinions. Nobody has to be right or wrong.

dogletnoir and Thunderhopkins8 like this.
  5. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

It was Beato's premise that we're "probably using the wrong strings", not mine, LOL.
    Admittedly, that title was designed to be clickbait, pure and simple.

i'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong here.
    The whole point of that Beato vid was that they allegedly did exactly that: the same players
    using the same guitars, same amp, mics, and EQ settings could all hear a variation in timbre,
    and they all agreed that they thought the lighter string sets sounded 'better' in general
    (albeit always with relatively high gain settings).
    What they consider 'better' is definitely subjective; each player has to define and find their own
    desirable range of tone, and what they seem to like is certainly not where i live most of the time.

If the timbral differences created by differences in string gauge are that 'minute',
    then bigger differences can be made by simply adjusting EQ settings as you said
    (although EQ can only boost or cut frequencies which are already present, not add
    things that aren't already there).
    The whole issue of string gauge choice would then come down entirely to what a given
    player feels comfortable with and what suits their personal style.

My opinion is that the timbral differences between string gauges are much more accentuated
    when playing complex harmonies with a clean sound.
    That's a difference that this particular player can hear, and why i choose to use heavier gauges myself.
    In simple terms, heavier gauge strings give me the feel i like and the sound i'm looking for most of the time.
    (So no, Rick, i'm definitely not using the wrong strings, LOL)
    But... i'm not trying to convince anyone else to use heavier gauges because i like them, use them,
    or find them beneficial in getting the tones i personally prefer out of my instruments.
    i also refuse to use loaded terms like 'better'; i will just reiterate that i prefer how the heavier
    gauge strings feel and sound when playing clean.
    My opinion again, pure and simple (i do seem to like that word, don't i? LOL).

i've said it before and i'll say it again: play what you like, like what you play.

Carry on.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  6. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

This is a video of mt Strat with 12's into a small combo cleanish.
    I prefer 12's mainly because acoustic guitars are what i am used to
    If anyone with 8's would like to do a sound comparison that would be cool.

7. Percy

lol strattalk killed my video

8. Percy

censored like the nazis used to do

9. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Here's a strat with .008-.038 but since it's two different guitars played by two different people through two different amps the comparison doesn't reall say anything.

dogletnoir likes this.
  10. stratmatt777

I think we all agree on that! Sorry for implying that I thought you were trying to declare that anybody was wrong...

For me, I learned (as did Rhett Shull) that I AM using the wrong strings!
    I turn the presence up to 7.5 for the crunch rhythm sound I want and turn the bass down to half on my Soldano Astroverb... If I use the next smaller gauge of strings I will get less bass and more treble and presence and "cut" in my distortion sound.
    For over a decade I have been using DR 10-46 sets and replacing the 10 with a 9.5.

I'm sure that you are right, based upon your experience. And I bet that SRV thought the same thing.

Rick's video was about the effect of string gauges into a distorted amp.
    The lesson I learned is that lighter strings will give that chainsaw edge bite to my distortion sound that I currently get by using a slight clean boost from a Blues Driver and running the presence at 7.5, both of which make my lead tone harsh are trebly.
    So I'm looking forward to the effect of 9s and less tension on my joints when I do large bends.

dogletnoir likes this.
  11. Thunderhopkins8

Heavy strings sound like a muffled piano on the guitar. But no one in the audience will be able to tell what strings two players are using. I mean, whenever I hear a player I like, or that sounds great, I don’t stop and think about what gauge of strings they’re using. 8s or 9s is the optimum.

stratmatt777 likes this.
  12. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

Qualify those two statements with 'to me' and 'for me', and you will no longer be presenting your opinion as fact.
    No-one will be able to argue with you, because you will simply be stating your personal perceptions and preferences.

13. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

Well said, and bravo for the rational discourse and considered presentation of your viewpoint.
    In matters of tone, it really does come down to 'de gustibus non est disputandem'.
    :)

14. Thunderhopkins8

To meh

15. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'm glad the internet is here today to let me know that I've been doing my whole life wrong. I'm almost 60 now. I may not have enough time to correct it all though

stratmatt777 and nigelr like this.
  16. Thunderhopkins8

Better to find out sooner rather than later ;)

stratmatt777 likes this.
  17. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

According to Jimi's tech Roger Mayer, Jimi played Fender 150s, which was a .010-.038 set. https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup-interview-roger-mayer I'm not convinced 8s were available even for banjo during Jimi's life, at least Fender didn't offer any. Fender's smallest banjo string in 1966 was a 10 and in 1969 their smallest was a 9. Fender string catalogs from 66 and 69 reproduced here: http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/strings.html

A .038 is commonly found in a set of 8s, and that's probably the source of the confusion. The banjo string story I've never heard particularly associated with Jimi Hendrix, but with Ernie Ball. Ball was taking Fender's regular set of strings (the "no. 10" set) which was 13, 17, 28, 34, 46, 55--throwing away the low E and adding a .010 banjo string, making a set that's 10-46.

I'd rather take BB King's own word for what strings he uses than to take Billy Gibbons word for it. In this interview from 2014 he talks about string gauge starting at about 8:20. 10, 13, 17, 30, 44, 54. Watch the interview and judge for yourself which story is more credible.

I personally don't care at all about nailing SRV tone, but I do notice sonic artifacts of heavy strings in his playing. Heavy strings don't bend and buzz the same way as light strings do. If you're trying to nail his tone to the nth level of detail, then maybe you want to use the same amp and the same pickups and the same strings he was using at that particular time. Maybe even 13s.

stratmatt777, dogletnoir and davidKOS like this.
  18. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Strings gauge impacts mostly the playability issue....just like the neck profile,the string spacing,the radius of the fingerboard.....all very personal choices so there for no holy grail here.Tone wise i use the same rule i use with anything "Will i know what it is if its played back to me"? and the answer is almost always the same...No.

I would be much more interested though in his ear training approach,simply cause i believe his son got perfect pitch and his little girl i think pretty good relative pitch, so thats an indication that everybody has something to offer, you just have to sniff through the information and sometimes the bull****.

stratmatt777 likes this.
  19. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

:p

Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  20. clydethecat

clydethecat Senior Stratmaster

At this point I think we're Beatoing a dead horse.