Join Strat-Talk Today

Ridiculous inconsistent Fender Vintera pricing

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sonny wolf, Sep 11, 2019.

1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I am very enthused with the new line of Vintera guitars and I did purchase a lovely 60s Strat in Ice blue metallic.The 'regular' Vinteras sell for $899 while the vintage modified ones sell for $999.Why would the same guitar that simply has a S1 switch,2 point tremolo,larger frets and satin finished neck be worth $100 more?Production wise both models should cost just about the same....the different specs don't justify a $100 price difference.I would understand if maybe the Vintage modified ones had a nitro finish which requires more time to apply but charging $100 more for features that are not more expensive than the regular ones is absurd.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My guess is that they need to charge more because they'll sell less of them than the vintage appointed model...... ?

TangerineDog and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Deathray

Deathray Strat-O-Master

I got an email last week about reduced pricing on the American Elite Strats. Imagine being one of the folks who paid more not that long ago...

Maybe they need a new bean counter.

Tone Deaf and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

My guess is they charged more because they knew people would still buy them.

5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Price is driven by marketing strategy, probably more-so than cost to manufacture.

6. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

That's okay sonny, the Vintera 60's Jazzmaster that I ordered (same ice blue metallic finish but with a tort guard) starts at 999. The modified one is 1,099.

3bolt79 and sonny wolf like this.
  7. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Isn't that ridiculous.A Jazzmaster should cost about the same to produce as a Strat and yet it is $100 more.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

And I’m sure that they will sell less of them than the strats. I bought a Vintera 70’s strat, in Sienna Sunburst it was priced 50 dollars less than the 60’s and 50’s model. And I also managed to get it at about $850.00. It’s an awesome guitar. They don’t make a modified version of it, and my guess is that because fewer folks are inclined to play a three bolt neck.

sonny wolf likes this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

But, if they priced them the same, would the reverse be true?

3bolt79 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  10. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

They do that every year to clear out stock. I would not be bothered if I payed a couple of hundred more, those are high quality instruments.

jrbirdman and Deathray like this.
  11. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Just imagine if we lived in a world where savage capitalism was the norm...oh wait \m/:p\m/

circles, JP68, 3bolt79 and 1 other person like this.
  12. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

The pot for the s1 switch is comparatively more expensive.
    If you were to buy a replacement pot it would be about 20 bucks.
    The 5 way super switch also comes in at about 20 bucks.

I realize that isn't fender's cost, but just pointing out they are more expensive.

Also, if you've ever peeked under the hood of a guitar with the s1 "system" there is a lot of extra wiring and soldering that needs to be done.

Just saying

13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I dont know, there just seems to be a high demand for vintage style stuff now. It's just one man's opinion :)

Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

The Jazzmaster has always been more expensive. When the Jazzmaster came out in 1958, it was $329. It according to Vintage Guitar, it was 50 dollars more than the strat. But that's actually an even bigger gap in price, according to the CPI Inflation Calculator, in todays money that extra 50 bucks would be $448 extra, that comes out to $2,951.46! And lets say, you went with a custom finish, that was 5% more, so that's now $345.45, or in today's money, $3,099.04! That's Custom Shop prices.

No, what is ridiculous is when you buy a replacement Jazzmaster trem. I've done it, it's stupid. Everything is sold separately. You buy the trem, that's all you get, the trem, no mounting screws, no trem bar. So then you buy the screws (they are strap button screws). Then you buy the trem bar, but what's this? It doesn't come with a tip? That's right you have to buy the trem bar tip separately too.

15. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

....restraining myself from posting the "old man yells at cloud" meme...

henderman, Jesse414 and Jeepocaster like this.
  16. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

A fine time to buy a second Elite, then the price would even out

17. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

The market will largely dictate the price point. Some price points are set because that’s what people will pay according to market research.

Let’s say you and I are widget makers. I sell my widget for $5 per unit and it costs me $3 per total fixed and variable cost per unit. The $5 price point is great and tons of people find tremendous value in the $5 widget and I sell 50,000 a year.

You are entering the market and can make the widget for $2. What price point will you enter the market at? You can do $5 but you might not incentivize enough of the consumer base to make the switch, but you could go in at $4.75 or $4.50 and maybe steal business from me.

Then there is a new price point parity in the market which will now say people will pay $4.75 or $4.50 for the widget.

I’m sure Fender’s market research leads them to see that consumers will pay $100 more for the added features. It doesn’t matter if the additional cost per unit is $2.50, they can get the extra $97.50 and I’d do the same and so would most businesses. They’re in business to make money and support the strategic goals of the organization and to provide value to their employees and customers. If Fender sucked at the business end we wouldn’t have access to the real deal awesome fender products we all love.

Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I agree with @joe_cpwe - it was a marketing decision. Remember, for several years the Classic Players were $100 more than the "regular" Classic series, but about 3 years ago either the Classic Players were rolled back to the price of the Classics or the Classics were raised $100 so the two series were the same price.

EDIT: Fender has evidently pulled the old price lists and catalogs from their website! I use them to check prices, check available colors when someone asks "Could a 1993 AVRI Strat have been in LPB?", etc. They were just up a couple of days ago when I last checked.

I wonder if they pulled them because they cut the prices on the American Elites? Hopefully they are just updating their archives and they will be back because they are a great resource of more than just price info.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    joe_cpwe likes this.
  19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I was going to get a custom shop strat. But I decided that there was a point of diminishing returns, as far as having something made to be a replica of a 70’s strat. I had tried the classic series 70’s strat, and it was nothing like my real deal 79. Then Fender released the 70’s strat with the Sienna Sunburst finish. It was a dead ringer for my first ever real Fender strat that I got used in 1984. I called up the dealer, and asked what they could do about the price as it was $949.00. Well he found a coupon or something, and I got the guitar for just a a little over $800 bucks.

The first one that came had a truss rod issue- it didn’t work. So I sent it back, and had them send another one. This one was pretty close to perfect. And everything worked. The neck was a little bigger than the first one, which was ok. It’s a little bigger than my 79. But what really impressed me was when I set it up, was that I set the pickup heights the same as on my 79. The bridge pickups sounded exactly the same, and the middle and neck pickups sounded better than my 79. And it weighs about 7 and a half, to 8 lbs. my 79 weighs in at almost ten pounds.

I would definitely prefer to get another Vintera, rather than an original 3 bolt strat because it’s not going to be beat to death, and cost three to four times as much as the Vintera. I paid a premium for my 79. It was in near mint condition, and all original. It was the best playing, best feeling guitar I had ever played. The Vintera really comes close to that. It feels good. So I don’t think that $949.00 is too high, especially since you can always get them for less. And the Vintera is just as good as the AVRI 70’s strat that I had, that they routed the trem cavity crooked on. I’m fact it’s better.

Nate D likes this.
  20. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

I find it funny that the entire music industry is based on price fixing. Everyone charges the same price that Fender tells them to charge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.