Join Strat-Talk Today

Ridiculous inconsistent Fender Vintera pricing

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sonny wolf, Sep 11, 2019.

1. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

The only reason for the Vintera line is to raise prices above where the Classics and the Classic Player Series were.

2. rjhalsey

rjhalsey Strat-Talker

Fender must be off their meds again! :cool:

Lovnmesomestrat and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I don't know, but their ad campaign is really good recently.

The-Kid likes this.
  4. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

What is more galling is that Strats and Tele's are the same price!

Historically Tele's were always cheaper. Stands to reason, far less parts, less body shaping etc.

Mind you the hard tail Strats were also cheaper than the trem equipped versions!

Can't see that happening today.

Jesse414, Rocket King and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Nah, it's the pigment for that ice blue metallic paint that's so dear, to get it they have to capture yetis and collect their tears.

6. fenderookie

fenderookie Strat-Talker

You pay extra for additional features that Strat from the normal popular options

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

I know retailers are forced to ADVERTISE the same price, but if you ask for a discount I'd be surprised if you didn't get 10%-20% off

Dabajoe and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

"Why would the model with only these 4 desirable features cost more?"

circles, Blackmore Fan and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

That isn't price fixing. Price fixing is if Gibson and Fender got together and decided that no American made instruments would be sold under $999.

Fender sets the prices of its own products. If a rogue distributor or retailer started selling American strats for $300, It would not only damage Fender but it would damage their other retailers.

Desirable brands can choose who sells their products, and part of that is setting guidelines for pricing and promotions.

The stupid old game of "$1,999 MSRP, on sale 40% every day for $1,200" wasn't working and Fender just made their pricing simple and reliable.

This reduces the people that would stand in the Guitar Center on their phones looking for better prices from online distributors. Basically you can go into any store in the country - if you find a Fender that you like just buy it - you're not getting a better price elsewhere.

10. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Fender prices are discounted over here but every one of the big retailers sell them at the same price.

Hmmmm.

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

This is true, at least it was for me. I got 15% off of my Vintera. I got 20% off on my American Special

Tim S likes this.
  12. Dabajoe

Dabajoe Strat-Talk Member

Well that is better than how it is nowadays with car parts. If Chevy was making Jazzmaster trems you would go in asking for just the bar tip. They would say "you have to buy the entire trem sir we don't just sell the bar tip."

13. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker

It’s only $100 more. A shade over 10% more.

I don’t see price gouging.

circles, 3bolt79 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  14. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

That’s the difference between MSRP and MAP. A manufacturer can’t tell a retailer the price they have to sell for, but they can demand that their products not be advertised below a certain price, per their distributor agreement.

So you end up with MSRP being the price the manufacturer shows on their website (and what the retailers base their “discounted” price off of), MAP being what all the major retailers advertise, and individual “good-guy” deals being whatever discount below MAP that your salesperson is willing/able to give you.

Neil.C and 3bolt79 like this.
  15. 1300Valencia

1300Valencia Senior Stratmaster

I can't stand that stuff costs money, so everything should be free.
    Amirite?

16. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Free...no.But there should be fair pricing instead of combining some features that don't cost any much more production wise and then charging a premium for it.The S1 switch is not so much more expensive to produce than a regular 250 pot.Jumbo frets are not more expensive to make than vintage size ones.Charging $100 more for features that cost pennies in difference in manufacture is ridiculous to me.These features are found on cheaper Mexican guitars...two point tremolos are on the cheaper prices Player series Strats and the S1 switch is found on the cheaper priced Mexican Deluxe Strats.Charge a few extra dollars maybe but $100 is excessive for what you are actually getting.

17. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

That's the beauty of our economic system...companies can be as rational or irrational as they decide to be. If the pricing is wrong, people won't buy in large enough quantities to justify the decision. Vintage frets are a deal killer for me-so the "lower" price option doesn't exist for me. They could reduce the price of those by another $100 and I still wouldn't buy one.

Textele and sonny wolf like this.
  18. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Pretty much this.

These werent meant to replace the Road Worns but the Classic Player 50s and 60s.

The only thing to justify the price increase is going to be better pups....as in AVRI or Pure Vintage or Custom Shop.

sonny wolf likes this.
  19. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

Well... you have said everything that has to be said. The post could be closed here. Mexican Fenders are dead to me. Actually Fender has the worst lineup of the past 30 years to me. There is not a single guitar I would buy. Maybe some Squier. Maybe.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    The-Kid likes this.
  20. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Lol, drama.

The-Kid and 3bolt79 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.