Join Strat-Talk Today

Right Price for 2004 American Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by adrice727, Jun 11, 2019.

1. adrice727

adrice727 New Member!

I'm looking around for a new (to me) Strat. I went to a local Guitar Center to check out the new Performer Series when I came across a used 2004 American Strat that I really liked. I've had a couple MIM strats and an American Deluxe, but none of them played as well as this one. I would have taken it on the spot, if it weren't for one thing. There's a pretty big gouge in the back of the body close to where it meets the neck. I should have taken a picture. Otherwise, it's in pretty good shape. The price is $800. I'm not sure whether or not GC negotiates on used gear. Does it seem like a reasonable price or should I just keep looking?

2. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

What model is it? American what? Anyway, $800 seems a touch high for an American standard but buying used from gc will add a slight premium. If you like it, it isn't completely unreasonable, IMO.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  3. adrice727

adrice727 New Member!

It's an American Standard. I'd post a link if I could. Part of it also may have just been that it was set up really, really well. The action was perfect and it was just effortless to play.

4. bsman

bsman Strat-Talker

To me, that seems a tad high. I would expect to pay $800 for a 201x AmStd, but for a 200x, $650-$700 would probably be the most I'd be willing to go.

3bolt79, Tone Deaf and AxemanVR like this.
  5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    Value is in the eye of the beholder...

Is it worth $800? If it were in excellent shape I would more or less say "yes", but not with a huge gouge in it. $500 - $600 tops for me...

Good Luck!

`

3bolt79 and Tone Deaf like this.
  6. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Strat-Talker

Try looking on craigslist. Guitar Center typically gets $150 to $200 more for used Strats than the for sale by owner market sells for. And recently, my local Guitar Center quit negotiating on price.

3bolt79 and Tone Deaf like this.
  7. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

I’ve never known guitar center to negotiate at all. I’ve never bought anything from them because of this. Every time I see something there I want, they refuse to be reasonable. I’ll give you an example. One time I got there as they were opening. I park my car. Guy in the car next to me is getting services from a pro. Whatever. I go in and look around. I see this beautiful axe. I have to have it. I try it out. It sounds better than it looks, and it looked good. Anyhow, I hear, “Can I answer any questions for you?” I look over. Who is it? The guy with the gal in the lot. He’s a salesman. We get to talking. I make an extremely reasonable offer. We go back and forth. Finally, I tell the guy, “Look, we both know I know which car out there is yours. Either make a deal or I torch it.” He thought I was bluffing. I wasn’t. I’d pay to see the look on his face when he left work and saw his car has been burned to a crisp.
    Anyhow, the point is, they’re inflexible.

JayFreddy likes this.
  8. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

If they will not negotiate then look elsewhere.

I bought my 2004 American Standard 3TSB ( one previous owner ) in 2008 for US$850.

I will say that mine was in mint condition when I got it.
    That was 11 years ago. It has those “un-named Alnico V” pups that sound sweet and clear.

You could probably find a really nice used Strat in very good shape for a more reasonable price.

Just remember that Strats are easily setup AND customizable to fit YOUR tastes.

Here’s my 2004 MIA 50th Anniv American Standard.

B9EF0EE8-E992-4A7F-8A64-980F155018FF.jpeg

JayFreddy, Antstrat, JP68 and 3 others like this.
  9. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Strat-Talk Supporter

American Series.:thumb:

davidwhitson and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Reminds me of the old man that left his keys at the local GC. The old man, about 80 years old tells the GC employee, “you better have ‘em or ill break your legs”. The employee says “I’ll give you one warning, where I grew up, I take that as a threat and if you ever threaten violence to me or my fellow employees, I will ban you for life”. No sense of humor. The old man was clearly joking, and it was funny because the guy was so old....they have no sense of humor when it comes to negotiating used gear, either.

11. adrice727

adrice727 New Member!

This is exactly the Strat I'm looking for.

It seems like prices for used strats are a bit high in my neck of the woods, but I'm going to keep looking. Worst case scenario is that I'll just buy something to hold me over until I find what I really want. I sold all my gear when I moved across the country and have only had an acoustic for the past couple years. But the electric bug has bitten me again.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Was a HSC included when these were sold new? I'm not seeing a previous mention of a case.

13. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

Part of the problem is, every time you go there there are different workers. They can’t keep good help very long.

14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Try negotiating. Keep it reasonable, but let them know you are aware of the damage.

15. adrice727

adrice727 New Member!

Based on the prices that I'm seeing around here for used strats, I'm thinking that I might as well just buy a new Performer series. I'm not seeing any Americans for under $900, so I might as well spend the extra $200 to get the new one.

johnnymg likes this.
  16. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

Mine came with the OHSC

17. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Or, you could get a new, unused American Special, the precursor to the Performer. I got one brand new about a week ago for less than 800 bucks. I was looking at the Performer as well, but unfortunately I didn't like the tuners on it. Also the American Special has decent tuners and also Texas Specials for the pickups. I like the sound of those better than the V-mods in my American Professional. Just a Thought. Also the guitar is gloss finished, not flat, on the Special.

18. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

My Butterscotch Blonde was bought new in 2004. No S1 or other stuff. Never found out whether it’s an AmStd or Am Series.

19. adrice727

adrice727 New Member!

The only one I've found for a decent price is a blemished, open-box one from one of the online retailers for $840. I'm going to go play the Performer one more time at GC after work today and then decide.

3bolt79 and johnnymg like this.
  20. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Strat-Talk Supporter

I have two from that year with no s1 and stuff one was bought new and I remember the sales man saying its a American series not a std, I think they just changed the name for a few years.

To make it more confusing every American strat in 2004 should have a 50th anniversary neck plate anniversary model or not.

3bolt79 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.