RIP A.R. Duchossoir

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Walter Carter, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Walter Carter

Walter Carter New Member!

Andre Duchossoir, author of definitive books on the Strat, the Tele, Gibson electrics and Gibson lap steels, has died. I've only seen postings on a British Instagram and a British forum (for the Shadows band), so I don't have details. Although he lived in Paris and was a banker by trade, Andre was a pioneer in uncovering the history of American guitars. His research was so thorough and accurate that his books are still primary sources for anyone looking for detailed information on Fenders and electric Gibsons. (For proof, just search this forum for "Duchossoir" to see how often his work is cited.) Anyone who ever wrote a book about electric guitars owes a debt of gratitude to him. He will be greatly missed.

2. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

I've got "the Fender Stratocaser 40 Anniversary", sitting her on my computer desk. I use it for info here and go over the color photos it contains. Before the internet this was what you had to have, now it's what you want to have. I'm sure a lot of love went into this book. Aloha

3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

4. Tguitarfloyd

Tguitarfloyd Strat-Talk Member

R.I.P.Andre Duchossior. Yes, for many years he was the expert to whom I referred when needing any kind of guitar information. He will be missed.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  5. Mac62

Mac62 Strat-Talker

I have his Strat and Tele books.

R.I.P.

LOSTVENTURE and RadioFM74 like this.
  6. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

His Strat and Telecaster books were a godsend to me back in the pre-internet 1990s.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

RIP André Duchissoir, guitar nerd extraordinaire (it’s high praise!) and one of our favorite writers! I always loved the sober way in which his books are written. No “creamy, chocolatey, bold, spongy” language. Just great detailed info, passionately researched and delivered in all simplicity.

macoshark likes this.
  8. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

Great shame - ARD was one of the only reliable sources of vintage guitar info way back.

I'm just looking at my dog-eared copies of 'The Fender Stratocaster' 1983 and the my tatty spiral bound 'Guitar Identification Fender Gibson Martin' also 1983. And of course he went on to write even more authoritative books later on.

RIP and thanks.

9. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

I don't have any of his books, but know of them.

I've long been aware of him as a font of guitar history knowledge, but really knew next to nothing about him. It's remarkable how he researched so much about guitar history in a pre-internet era, especially while working a "regular" job.

I found this photo on TDPRI:

j_peden160625-img_8734.jpg

RIP, Andre.

10. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-O-Master

RIP good sir. The 40th Anniversary Stratocaster book was, is and will continue to be the de facto source on Strats for me. I've used it many times here and at Squier-talk myself.

11. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Something else to consider. At the beginning of AD's "The Fender Stratocaster" there's a list of people who contributed to his book. Bill Carson, Bill Shultz, George Fullerton, Freddie Tavares, Dan Smith, all these cats have checked out. That means, who do you ask about the way it went down, if your interested, how did it come together and stay together for Fender and the Stratocaster? Thank you, Mr. Duchossoir.