Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

RIP Chris Cornell

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by bchaffin72, May 18, 2017.

1. axis69

axis69 Strat-O-Master

Feb 5, 2016
    LA
    Thats a very sad state of mind to publicly state where one can or cant score drugs in such a flip way.Wreckless too to his younger,impressionable fans.This event doesnt surprise me then at all.Sad indeed.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

At this point everything is speculation, but we can't judge why someone commits suicide. We don't know the mental state of mind of that person. I have my own strong feelings against the act, but again I don't judge. I don't know what that person has seen, I don't know what that person has felt. I just hope that his family can find solace, and he can find peace. No matter what the COD.

3. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-O-Master

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Dammit!!! This sucks!!! I saw Soundgarden in '96 at a bizzare venue on the edge of the Great Salt Lake called Saltair. It still ranks as one of the best shows I've ever seen, the 2nd set was punishingly heavy-hitting and just so freaking awesome. RIP Chris.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Paperback Rocker likes this.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Wow! I just heard about an hour ago. I loved Soundgarden. The music of my generation, and Chris had an amazing voice.

A great loss to the world of rock.

5. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-O-Master

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    He was one of the best vocalists of all time, hands down, if not THE best. I'm listening to Badmotorfinger right now. His voice was soulful and biting, smooth and gritty, melodic, mesmerizing, and pummeling, he had it all. He was a true inspiration for me.

6. stratmauler

stratmauler Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2012
    NZ

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I started coming from age right as the Grunge scene was breaking, and it was just what I needed at the time. This just totally sidelined me, like when I heard about Bowie.

8. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Pretty bummed about this, not as much as when DIO passed but close. I'm not going to comment on suicide other than I really feel for those he left behind this way.

First saw Soundgarden when they were on the Louder than Love tour. They opened up for Voivod at bar called The Shadow in Kansas City MO. If I remember correctly Prong opened, followed by a full set from Soundgarden and then Voivod. Both Soundgarden and Voivod were awesome. It was one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Just a wonderful voice and he will be missed. \m/

9. Syd Vega

Syd Vega Strat-Talk Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Germany

10. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    At first thought for me after hearing he hung himself is "Why the F would you do that??? You had it all!! EVERYTHING!!!!"

But then again, after thinking about all of this, you don't know what's going on that persons mind and heart or what demons that person is fighting. I hope his family can find peace. This is hitting me harder and harder as the day goes on.

Please, if you or anyone you know is in this state of mind, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SEEK HELP!

So sad!!

11. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Such a huge loss. I was heartbroken when I heard the news this morning. Chris was the voice of an era and one of the best vocals in rock, period.

12. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee

13. nungesser

nungesser down in the bayou down around El Cerrito Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    damn!
    BadMotorFinger was a masterpiece!
    as a hard core Kyle Petty fan this always rated up there for me

Tube ToneChaser likes this.

14. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2013
    USA
    I just saw this, I am flabbergasted, I wouldnt have thought in a million years that he would kill himself, damn.

15. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

When you get deep into alcohol or substance abuse daily attendance becomes mandatory, not optional. I cannot imagine oxycontin letting anyone go easily. I have known a couple of heavy pill addicts, a very difficult addiction to break made worse by easy availability and legal channels for obtaining them. More prison time didn't scare them away either. Ever met an alcoholic who wakes up hungover badly and says "I'm never drinking again" and by the same evening are back at it? Drug addiction defies logic and reason; it isn't understandable to a non-addict.

I wouldn't rule out foul play either. I'm sorry, there are better and simpler ways of killing yourself than hanging so my suspicion is aroused. Also, when any famous person whose current $$ value may be exceeded by a sudden renewed interest in a past catalog there should be extreme suspicion. Just my two cents.

No judgment of the guy from me, we all have our own lives to live, none of us have it easy even though outside appearances may cause one to perceive otherwise. Perhaps that exacerbated Mr. Cornell's troubles. RIP.

montemerrick and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

16. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Such sad news, my heart goes out to his family and friends. We've all been through some dark times but to get the point of seeing no other way out is such a shame. To create great art requires an emotional hypersensitivity and fragility, it's sad that those who are gifted in this way so often suffer as a result. RIP Chris...

17. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    In the words of Everlast , God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes , then you might really know what it's like to have to .........

carolinaeasy likes this.

18. dexlex

dexlex Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Croatia