Join Strat-Talk Today

Ripped Off By Gain Forlife (Youtube Name)

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Torren61, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

I bought a 1968 Traynor BassMaster YBA-1 off my local Craigslist over a year ago for waaay cheap. I tried to mod the amp myself and my lack of talent in this department caused me to look for someone to mod it for me.

Besides here, I also like to read and post in Vintage Amps Forum. There, I found a guy who goes by the name of Racing (Gain Forlife on YouTube). He seemed like a really knowledgeable person and after watching a few of his YouTube videos of his work, I contacted him about modding my amp.

He emailed me back and said he'd be glad to do the work but he lives in Gothenburg, Sweden. I said "No problem." and mailed him my amp. His price for doing the mods was $700 USD. I thought that was cheap and told him so but he said that's all he needed to do the work.

I mailed him the head and he started work on it. He posted a thread about it and his work is VERY impressive. It was just beautiful and his attention to detail is amazing. Check out the pictures.

Here's the thread:

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=111027

Anyway, he had some personal problems come up. I won't reveal what I know about that because it wouldn't be right.

It wasn't long after that the communication started to dry up. According to him, the amp was finished and he was doing the last bit of tweaking and he was going to mail it out to me. The months dragged by and then no more communication.

So the balance of my loss is $100 for the head, about $150 for the parts I tried to mod with, $150 shipping to Sweden, $700 paid to "Gain Forlife". That comes out to $1100. Loss of faith in a fellow human being/guitar player/amp modder... priceless.

Oh yeah, I'm also out the money and labor for the head cab I built for the chassis. That brings my total to something like $1300 actual cash and about 40 or so hours of labor.

I built the cab out of African wenge wood. I made two panels for the front so I could mix it up a little if I ever got tired of looking at the same head cab. The one is wenge wood and the other is paduak wood.

Here are some pics of the head cab:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you live in Gothenburg, stop by his house/shop, knock on the door and when he answers, just point at him and say "SHAME!"

Jesper/Racing/Gain Forlife is a pretty good guitar player and a really good amp builder but I'd avoid doing business with him.

Here's one of his videos on YouTube:

vid1900 likes this.
  2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Boy Oh Boy
    To quote George Takei

Oh Myyyyyy!

3. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I hope you get your amp back

ocean, bparnell57 and Torren61 like this.
  4. SwiftTactics

SwiftTactics New Member!

Man, this really sucks. I hope he comes around.

bparnell57 and Torren61 like this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Thanks! I really just want him to pull his head out and send me my amp. I know I'll probably never see it again. It's not about the money, it's about the principle of the thing.

6. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Take the complete correspondence to a lawyer. Tell him you've done so. That alone might speed things up.

Tee H C, alainvey and Torren61 like this.
  7. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Good advice but that'll cost way more money to try to sue someone in another country. My tactic is to shame him into doing the right thing.

8. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Strat-O-Master

Is this not theft? I'd be contacting the Gothenburg Police and reporting it. Hopefully you have kept all your communications with this guy.

Tee H C, ocean and s5tuart like this.
  9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

You sent an old Canadian amp from California to an unknown guy in Sweden for mods?

SurfsUp, Euclid, stratman323 and 5 others like this.
  10. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

Pm me with his address and personal information and I see what I can do.

texastengu, Barb, ryapou and 7 others like this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

WOW! That would be excellent and i'd be in your debt if you could get it done. I've PM'd you. Thanks for the effort. Good luck!

12. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

No problem, I hope you get your amp back. It sucks that you've put so much effort in and given this guy so many months and he acts like this. I'll get back you if I get contact with him.

ocean, s5tuart, velvet_man and 9 others like this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

Thank you. I did everything I could before doing this. It's not even about the money, it's the principle of the thing.

You get that amp back and you will always have a place to stay in the US. I have a nice house with a nice guest bedroom and a nice music room. I live in Northern California.

ocean, Rialas, velvet_man and 4 others like this.
  14. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Good idea

ocean, jimyjazz and Torren61 like this.
  15. NOSLover

NOSLover Strat-Talk Member

Report this guy to Youtube as a SCAMMER.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

I don't really think he's a scammer in the classic sense of the word. I do think he got caught up with a lot of life issues and it seemed easier to keep the money and the amp when I'm in the US. He probably thought "What's HE gonna do?", lol.

17. frankieb

frankieb Strat-Talk Member

This is totally classic scammer. Take on work being paid in advance. There is great communication in the beginning, then a sob story as to why things are taking so long to make you feel genuinely sorry for them. The next thing you know communication is non-existant and you are out your money and the item you were having work done on never makes it back home. Have heard this same type of story many times. With all the youtube vids the guy is posting of the amps he has modded and a pile of amps sitting in the background it is not like he is incapacitated. Man I hate seeing anyone be taken advantage of, hope this has a happier ending than it appears.

Rockape, BlueCajun, Jason D and 5 others like this.
  18. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Not trying to throw salt in the wound. ....... but..... there was no one in northern California who could've modded your amp?

19. colchar

colchar Senior Stratmaster

Or Canada?

ZlurkCorzDog, carver and T Bone Slort like this.
  20. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, this is a head scratching situation for sure. Hope it works out for the OP.
    BTW beauty head cab!:thumb:

Torren61 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.