risks of purchasing a vintage (1962) neck

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by tamer_of_banthas, Jun 19, 2021.

1. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Strat-Talk Member

hello,

just wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has ever purchased a vintage neck over the internet, without being able to physically inspect the goods prior to actually buying the thing.

the guy does not have a "sight down the neck" picture, but all the vintage correct details seem to be in order, at least to my (not quite yet an expert) eyes.

i would be buying this to complete a vintage partscaster project and i would be playing the thing, so my main concern (aside from spending the money) would be the potential of getting a warped neck or something with an unworkable hump in the middle of the fretboard.

a close friend of mine who is a semi-pro in Nashville with lots of experience playing real vintage guits basically told me not to make the buy. he said don't do it. usually these vintage axes get parted out for a REASON, etc...

i'm not exactly a skilled luthier in my own right so if there was something wrong with the neck, i would almost certainly need to pay to have it fixed.

LOL in case you can't tell i am kind of already talking myself out of it. Regardless i would love to hear from some people who have taken a calculated risk by buying a vintage neck over the internet, and whether or not it worked out for you.

thanks all

2. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

I would say if the opinions of people on the internet mean more to you than that of a close friend semi-pro musician you need to be thinking hard about more than your attitude to buying a guitar neck online.

Listen to your friend.

hogrider16, Nick-O, Miotch and 4 others like this.
  3. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Listen to your friend.

4. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @tamer_of_banthas

I think a question would be where did the rest of the guitar go?

5. tamer_of_banthas

thanks for the feedback everyone

and to Stevierayfan91 - yes it's a good point. one would think if the neck was at least halfway decent to begin with then it would not have been parted out

Miotch likes this.
  6. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Also... particularly without being able to inspect it, it can be difficult to verify authenticity.
    And if it IS authentic, it's going to cost a lot more than a new Strat would cost... and it's going to be used to build a Partscaster.... which will be likely impossible to sell for anywhere near what you'll have put into it (I'm not even going to use the term "invested")

Best case, you spend too much money for a pink elephant.
    Worst case, you spend too much money for a fake.

7. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

There’s the risk of disappointment.

CB91710 likes this.
  8. Bern1

Bern1 Strat-Talker

The first question is: why is a vintage Strat neck being sold without the rest of the guitar?

There is no good answer.

CB91710 likes this.
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

If the body was butchered, and the original parts long gone, it could be parted out for the stuff that remained.
    No way I’d pay what people are asking for a vintage neck, though. Not even close.

odds of a 50-65 year old neck being superior to a new nice neck that costs a fraction of the price.. pretty slim.

Only reason I could think to buy one, is if you have the rest of a guitar from the same year, and just need a neck.

10. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Bingo.
    I don't see the logic in assembling a vintage partscaster from the ground-up given what the parts will cost.

Even a partsacter built with new, or used-but-recent parts will never be worth what the parts cost was.

RadioFM74, nickmsmith and rolandson like this.
  11. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I'll happily sell you my 64 neck for a dollar.
    The body it comes attached to however, that will run a bit more....

CB91710 likes this.
  12. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

A lot of vintage stuff hasn't stood the test of time well.
    Prices are such that they attract collectors and investors who often have no interest in playing.
    Therefore there is some less than good playable vintage stuff going around!
    I'd rather buy a modern guitar any day!

CB91710 and HazyPurple like this.
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

wheres the pics ?

14. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

the only facts you have about this neck are that you can not inspect it first or return it so stop now before you wiley coyote yourself.

gm1cusnr, RadioFM74 and CB91710 like this.
  15. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

You want a vintage neck why? Because the vintage guitars are worth so much to collectors. Right? If you think somebody is going to buy your partscaster for collectibles money, you are nuts. Or, you are hoping they won't notice that the rest of the guitar doesn't match the neck.

Nobody in their right mind thinks the necks built by Leo's cabinet carpenters are actually going to play better than the ones built by FMIC's CNC machine.

And there's a very real risk that a neck for sale is fake or broken. If it's real, someone took it off the body for a reason.

RadioFM74 and CB91710 like this.
  16. tigger6

tigger6 Strat-Talker

It's indeed easier to fake a neck than a whole guitar, but I think one of the reason for necks being there is that I suspect that if you buy a 10-12k refin strat you might be able to get more for it if you split it in tuners (1k), neck (4k), body(4k), pickups (2k), pickguard(1k), bridge (1k), pots (1k)...

(These are random guesses, don't shoot me, I won't make the research)

17. Mike Furlong

Mike Furlong Strat-O-Master

All of the above. DON'T DO IT !!!!!

Mr_10awg and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

+1!

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  19. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I have a Fender Reissue neck I bought in 1991. Been told it's a '62 reissue, but the paper catalog the luthier ordered it from 30 years ago simply stated "reissue rosewood." But it does seem like it's based on a '62 as slab board and very thin neck (as thin as anything I've ever played).

My point, is that you might be better off buying a new, or even used, reissue neck, if that is the type of neck you want. Granted, they cost a lot more than the $180-ish I paid for it new in 1991, but still a heck of a lot cheaper than a real '62 neck.

But I agree with your friend and others here: no way would I personally buy a vintage neck sight unseen UNLESS it was from a reputable dealer you trust. And I honestly wouldn't spend that much money on a neck anyway, so in reality, it wouldn't matter who was selling it. To me.

Mr_10awg and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  20. tamer_of_banthas

great advice in this thread. thanks again to everyone who replied. i'm leaning towards one of those coney island fretboard necks that musikraft has been doing now. would be nice to be able to pick the neck profile, too.

CB91710 and Bazz Jass like this.