Road worn Stratocasters

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarman1984, Oct 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

... When did fender switch from the first ones with heavier relicing job to the newer ones with more subtle relic?
    Who knows?

2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Strat-Talk Member

I do not, but I know it has come before. If I may, I'd also like to posit a not-totally unrelated question for the resident RW experts...

I feel like I'm seeing some of these that might have pearloid and some that have clay dot inlays... or that something that they're doing to "age/relic" the pearloid makes it look like clay dots. Anyone have any insight on this?

Would also appreciate any other specs folks care to offer on these necks. Please and thank you.

3. psallo

psallo Senior Stratmaster

I think it was 2012-ish?

rich815 and guitarman1984 like this.
  4. guitarman1984

Is there other features out of the relicing job to distinguish between the two series?

5. Londonbus

Londonbus Strat-Talk Member

The early ones (pre 2012/13ish) have very overdone relic work. The pickguards on the newer ones look relatively new compared to this brown yellow stuff they put on the early pickguards too. The necks are also nowhere near as heavily done in the later versions.

I own and have owned several and online photos do always seem to make the necks look way more severe than they do ”in real life” for whatever reason. They are all OUTSTANDING Strats though. I love them.

rich815, STRAT'71 and guitarman1984 like this.
  6. guitarman1984

Thanks, how would you describe the neck feel and size?

7. Londonbus

Londonbus Strat-Talk Member

I’ve only owned the 50s maple neck Strat versions (also a Jazzmaster and Jaguar) so I can’t comment on the 60s Strats. The 50s are Fenders “soft V” profile but the edges of the fretboard are very slightly rounded and smooth, which I absolutely love. I had a 57 AVRI and though they were similar, the Roadworns “broken in” feel and overall smoothness was far superior to my hands. With the slightly larger frets than those vintage ones on the AVRI, it actually is a much easier neck to play.

guitarman1984 likes this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I call it fake miles !

9. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

As are the tele's. Love my tele RW so much I tracked down a set of Strat Tex Mex pups and put them in a relic’d seafoam green Squier Bullet that’s been upgraded (tuners, bridge, trem, pots). I know not the same Tex Mex as the tele but thought I’d try it and I found them cheap. Glad I did. Sound great.