Join Strat-Talk Today

Road Worn thoughts....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Musician78, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Musician78

Musician78 Strat-Talker

For sure there must be a topic on this, but "Search" timed out on me twice...

Anyhow, I was wondering what are your thoughts on them? Do you think they're cool?

I presonally don't like them even though the looks of an old used Strat (esp. w/maple board) is awesome. I think it is only cool if the wear has naturally been put there over years of actual use. I guess I think of them sort of like I think about the jeans that come with the holes already worn into them that were so popular about 10 years or so ago. But I am a Jackson player so what do I know? :p

Your thoughts?

2. bighaze51

bighaze51 Strat-Talker

I agree with the aspect of you should wear it in yourself. But...and i say but, i played one and it is a very comfortable guitar. I think a road worn strat with about 10 more years of wear would be even better. I know it is kind of cheating but the do play great.

3. stratagem

stratagem Strat-Talker

The best thing I heard was that the wear on the Road Worn gives you a head start on your own aging. They break in (to a player) quickly and feel great.

I've been doing my best to not buy one.. but a new year is here! I need a nitro guitar and I'm seriously considering this 'head start' logic.

4. harrysmo

harrysmo Senior Stratmaster

I bought a new RW Tele a few months ago at a great price. I thought that I'd return it if I didn't like it. That wasn't necessary, it's a wonderful Tele. I sorta felt the same way about the "worn-in" thing as some of you but as little as I get to really play it would take me 20 years to get a "road worn" look on any guitar. I like it and that's the main thing. It plays like a vintage and sounds good and looks like a vintage Fender that I never could afford. I like it. No excuses.

5. Uberstink

Uberstink Strat-Talker

My opinion of road worn Fenders is that if the person playing it is happy, then I am too. :)

6. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

I don't really care one way or the other for them. The one that my friend and I tried in a local shop, it felt pretty good, the neck and the body, but then he started playing some high bends and it was fretting out. The action was not even low at all either... could have been a one off problem, but eh

7. fredm

fredm Strat-Talker

I believe they have a 7 1/4 " neck radius, so big bends will be out unless the action is quite high. I tried one once and my fingers seemed to stick to the unvarnished neck.

Would like to try one again though, the pickups sounded good.

8. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

I heard a guy play a road worn tele and it sounded fantastic. I assume the strats would too. I'd love to have a guitar from the 60s but I think relicing is kind of a scam. Prices charged for it just don't seem right. Also the road worn ones have all the marks in the same places. So its mass produced relicing. Huh.

9. Diocletian

Diocletian Strat-Talker

Don't see the point. But then I too am a Jackson player!
    I don't like my guitars to look beat to hell even if it's me that's done it - I like my guitars to look used but not worn away to crap.
    I actually just resprayed the maple neck on my Squier because it just looked dirty.

10. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak New Member!

I've always enjoyed putting my own scratches and dents on my guitars as I play gigs it reminds me later when I'm playing that guitar what we've been through together,and having somebody do it for you is just faking it.

11. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

yeah but they also have taller 6105 frets which really compensates for the vintage neck radius.

I like the Road Worns, and I think many of the detractors focus more on their dislike of the aesthetics than the actual instruments. Some of the earlier ones seemed to have really bad QC, but the ones I have played for the most part were really solid instruments. I don't think I'd pay full price for one, but they tend to pop up either on sale or at a reduced price quite often

12. Billy Hell

Billy Hell Strat-Talk Member

I own a 50's RW Strat and I love it. I drag guitars all over the country and the fact I don't have to worry about dinging this one up is more relief than you would think. When my kids want to bang on it I don't freak out. I had two musician friends over and they both admitted they wanted to leave with the RW Strat out of all the guitars I brought out that night. I also don't feel bad about tweaking the hell out of this guitar. I figure anything I do will make it more "mine" and distance it from a standard road worn look. I'm not done tweaking yet but I'm almost there. I got mine for $650 with free shipping on ebay and a full warranty.

[​IMG]

13. ZL1LoVeR

ZL1LoVeR Strat-O-Master

14. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

When I found mine i had been on a search. I was looking for a replacement for my first strat (which I foolishly let go ages ago). I had an 82 MIJ that had the nitro finish, 3 tone SB, Vintage tuners, vintage radius (7 1/4), etc. The Roadworn was the only Strat offered with this combo, except some of the thinkskins, which I couldn't try in person.

Plus, my old Strat had started to look a lot like the Roadworns did coming out of the box when I sold it all those years ago. So finding another that felt so soft and smooth... well, it just seemed like good timing.

I plugged it in and instantly loved the Tex-Mex pickups. I have one of the very first runs. I bought it before the music store even had nay on display. It had come in just a couple of days before and they hadn't even pulled any out. I got to play several and pick the one I wanted. (I had already tried several at a couple of GC's near where I lived). I bought mine at another large music store in my area (Chuck Levin's) and they gave me a great deal on it.

I know relics aren't for everyone, but neither are green guitars, or red guitars... or pointy guitars, or Les Pauls. But for me, it really was like finding my old blue jeans and slippin 'em back on.

15. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

I also dont see the point in relicing new guitars, but to each his own. I like to look at my guitars with dings and scratches and i know pretty much how and when they happened and we go on a trip down memory lane. Play the fruit out of them and they will relic up all by themself naturaly.

16. JRSIV

JRSIV Strat-Talker

I think my experience is quite common: I was very cynical at first until I played one and then was blown away. The neck feels excellent, (so comfortable!) and the pickups and sound were great. I think the relicing is decent, better in person than photos. I'd actually love just the neck on a new nitro body MIM.

All in all, I agree with Stinky, if you dig it, far out. I'd have a hard time saying no to one at around $500...

17. KevinV

KevinV Strat-Talker

I don't care for them. I played one and it was OK, but there were plenty of other good playing guitars that had a pristine finish on them too. I'd no more buy a mechanically worn guitar than I would a mechanically worn recliner. Both will wear out in their own time.

18. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

i gotta admit, if they were selling the guitar with a buffed, smooth body finish like it has, and the back of the neck's finish worn off, i bet they would sell more. those were the best feeling parts of the guitar to me. but the dings and absolutely crazy fretboard wear i think turn a lot of people off

19. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

My 60's RW Strat is my favorite guitar at the moment....besting my 2002 American Deluxe and even a Reissue Custom Shop 60's Gibson ES-335 both costing 2-3 times what I paid for the RW. It just feels right...like a worn in pair of jeans (yep...that's the most descriptive and over-used cliche, but one that fits this instrument).

It's everything I look and listen for in a Strat. If I wanted more twang, I'd pick up a Tele, and if I wanted more sustain, I'd pick up a Les Paul. For general purpose comping and bluesy jamming, this is my favorite instrument.

My only issue with it is that you have to loosen the neck off the body to make a truss rod adjustment....a minor inconvenience, but one that needs to be done on a real 60's Strats as well.

All Strats are highly configurable guitars, and with they right setup most can play reasonably well... but what these RWs have is the "slick" worn neck that makes maneuvering around the fingerboard a real joy.

The electronics are also pretty good out of the box, more authentic sounding than the Vintage Noiseless set on my 2002 American Deluxe. If you're looking to keep the volume knob at 10 the entire time, maybe this isn't the right guitar/electronics for you.

The only Fender instruments that feel and sound this good or better in my hands are custom shop Relics. Bill Nash also makes Strats that feel as good or better than these.

Here's a video I made playing the RW a few months back:

YouTube - Vox AC4 with Egnater 1-12 Cabinet

I keep meaning to seek out a 50's RW especially at some of the fire sales prices I've seen them advertised at recently... but I've got too many guitars & particularly Strats. What I really want is a 65 amp!

20. sonicland59

sonicland59 Strat-Talk Member

I bought a 60's RW at MF when they were Fender Fridays deal at $499 with the thought that I'd flip it for a profit. Turns out it's a fabulous guitar, one of the better Strats I've ever played and I've played a lot. I'm yet another one that never really cared for the fake relicing but this guitar just plays and sounds so good. It's stock and it's staying that way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.