Join Strat-Talk Today

Road Worn thoughts....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Musician78, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Uberstink

Uberstink Strat-Talker

If I may, this is a great Heritage market and given that Gibson mania is still a factor in the market, you could likely trade that 335 for a top of the line Heritage without much effort.

It's obvously your call, but I'd give it some serious thought.

2. Batocaster

Batocaster Strat-O-Master

As I've said elsewhere, I find the prospect of buying a reliced guitar uninteresting. I can see that it would be an interesting challenge to make one that was totally convincing.

I'm not being sarcastic, really, but I have to wonder about resale value. Honestly, how do you talk about condition? Could you say "as new" with a straight face? How many people are going to glance at a photo and think you're crazy without even considering it?

At best, it seems to me to be one of those personal preference things that is going to have a negative effect on resale- not criticizing, it's like my own strong personal preference for stick shifts even on an SUV, it's just fact that there's less market for resale.

3. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

I love my 335. It's a different instrument with a very different purpose than my Strats. I actually bought it used for less than a discounted ES-339 (the smaller bodied ES) & highly discounted right around the time I bought the RW. I know I can easily sell it for more than I paid for it.

I like Heritage, but 90% of the time I gig with Strats or Teles. I'd actually love to find a good deal on an Ibanez Artist JSM100VST John Scofield. I had one back in college and seriously regret getting rid of it. It was a better guitar than my 335.

4. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

Wow, that's half what I paid. Maybe Guitar Center will have them that low this weekend? I'd buy another one just to soup up at that price.

5. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

Sell guitars? Hehehe If you love the guitar, there is no need to get rid of it. I sold some guitars that I loved (30th Anniversary Les Paul, Ramirez 1A Classical, and an Ibanez Artist JSM)....and I'm still heartbroken. You should see my music room. 15+ at the moment. I'd like to think that I buy guitars to actually play them, but I confess that I have a few that have been in their cases for more than a year... and I'm still shopping for a pedal steel and a decent acoustic to do cafe gigs with.

I usually buy a guitar and play it heavily within the exchange period... and return it if I don't like it. I've done that with some really high end instruments (like an Eric Johnson Strat and a CS Relic Tele). Heck, there is a store near me that allows lifetime trade-up at the purchase price if you keep it in good condition. I go in there whenever I'm near by just to plot my next upgrade!

6. harrysmo

harrysmo Senior Stratmaster

You sell it as a Fender Road Worn series guitar. Just as you would sell a Fender Custom Shop relic (time macine, closet classic, light relic, heavy relic, etc.). I would assume that a buyer for a Road Worn would know the specifics of the guitar. If a potential buyer doesn't know what a Road Worn series guitar is he has no business buying it.

How many players have purchased a guitar that was pre-owned? Did it have dings, wear spots, etc.? Did the new owner put the wear on it? Does the new owner know where every imperfection came from? Should the new owner paint it and start from scratch to only show his wear on it?

It all boils down to what feels good to you. If you don't like 'em, don't buy 'em. Always buy new and put your own wear on them. Then don't sell them because you wouldn't want your "wear" to be going to another player.
    Never buy prewashed jeans or broken in leather jackets either.
    It's all personal preferences. If the Road worn Fender's don't sell well Fender will stop making them.

I was a skeptic, now I am a happy owner.

7. KevinV

KevinV Strat-Talker

adaptable...

Thanks for posting the sound clip. It sounds great, I won't argue with that.

8. Batocaster

A little defensive, aren't we?

>>Never buy prewashed jeans or broken in leather jackets either.<<

I wouldn't think of it. My Aero Bootlegger horsehide jacket was so stiff when it was made (to measure, for me) that I could barely flex my arms, the shoulders wouldn't sit down on mine, and quite frankly, it looked a little ridiculous at first. Now, years and several thousand motorcycling miles later it fits me- and only me- like no fake suburban-yuppie "distressed" leather jacket ever could. I have no idea where most of it's marks and abrasions came from and don't much care, but not one of them was put there for "looks".

IMHO, authenticity still has some value... but suit yourself.

9. setlow

setlow Strat-Talk Member

Here we go again

This has been beaten to death more than once, but....

As you may have noticed, some folks get RW guitars and love them. They seem to think that they feel and sound great, and are usually not concerned with the relicing as a deal maker or breaker. Most likely after playing the particular guitar they were impressed by what they experienced and made the purchase. If you don't like, you don't buy.

Resale..... Guaranteed if you hit a winner on one of these guitars it will become a main squeeze and resale will not be an issue. Assuming you're getting it to play out with you will make some money and it won't owe you anything. Hard to get hurt on the sale prices for these anyway. If it's mostly an investment, then you can look elsewhere and buy on that basis.

Now, the issue of being called as a poser when you go out to play your RW strat or tele. If you get on stage and play your ass off everyone will think you have a real cool guitar. At that point someone coming to examine the relicing and make an issue of it will seem pretty foolish indeed. Jim Wieder gigs with a RW tele. He is not a poser.

If we're just talking about the IDEA of pre worn guitars it does sound silly, but if the reality is that you can get the feel of a real good sounding 50s guitar for not a whole lot of money, then the reality trumps the mind trip. That's where I got to with it, and I owned and gigged with the real stuff years ago. Please, no one buy any of them. I'll get a couple more on the cheap.

10. harrysmo

Thanks setlow. I agree with you 100%. I bought mine, a new 60's Tele from MF for $499 shipped. Couldn't pass at the $ and glad I didn't.
    Batocaster- you really think that selling a RW would involve an explanation to a potential buyer even if you advertised it as a Road Worn and that it would have a negative effect on resale? BTW-I don't like yuppies much either.

11. sonicland59

sonicland59 Strat-Talk Member

One point that's getting missed by some in this thread is it that it doesn't matter whether it's a RoadWorn or not, it's just that it plays and sounds so good. I will happily trade my 60's RW for another that plays and sounds better if I were to find one and I don't doubt they're out there but I paid $499 for mine and it is without a doubt the best under $1000 guitar I've ever played. Nothing else in this price range even comes close. I don't play it because it's a RW, I play it because to me it's a great guitar.

12. Batocaster

Don't care much about yuppies either way. I've even been accused of being one- which would be ironic, if they knew.

I don't much care for "fake". It's the "fan-boy dilemma", trying to be like something or someone through imitation, when one of the main admirable characteristics of those being imitated, almost always, is not imitating anyone.

Whatever you want to do, fine, doesn't bother me, beyond seeming a little silly. From all the defensiveness about it, though, I'd say that at some fundamental level it still seems to bother most of those doing it. They might want to look to resolving their internal conflicts about it rather than attacking anyone making even the most obvious observations.

13. harrysmo

I've got a dozen Strats, 3 Tele's and ten or so various other electrics. The RW Tele is fun to own and great to play. However if I had to whittle it to one guitar it would be my EJ Strat "Buddy". The RW 60's Telecaster would be about #5 or 6 on the "keep" list. Pretty good for a Tele.

14. Squirr

Squirr Strat-Talker

I just wonder if the trend soon will spread to other areas... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

100% Agreed. IMO, you'd have to spend at least $1500 to get a Strat that was consistently better.

16. 07 road house

07 road house Senior Stratmaster

I love this

17. harrysmo

Love the pics. But I think the point is being missed. If the old beat-up car drove better, handled sharper and made the driver better than the new car then the comparison to RW guitars vs. new guitars would be similar.
    We are focusing on looks too much. That's only a marketing gimmick. If you were in a dark room and someone handed you a Road Worn Strat and a new American Standard Strat and told you to pick out the one that you thought was the better playing/sounding guitar I would guess that a fair to large number of players would pick the RW over a new Strat. Sight unseen.

18. alexti

alexti Strat-O-Master

Even if all RWs sounded no better than an average MIM, I don't think people should be crucified as pretentious or otherwise for buying it just to look cool - our preceptions of coolness all differ. I'm sure some people find others who play brand-new looking guitars to be a bit dorky. Perhaps the RWs are targeted towards a younger demographic who haven't enough years to wear guitars down nor enough years to have bought a vintage piece while they were still cheap. Personally, I built a partscaster using a RW maple neck and it was pretty nice to play, I've sinced sold the guitar on though as the wear on the fretboard was hard to get used to visually.. guitars are visual things and I don't think there's anything wrong with paying attention to looks. Some people do go a bit overboard, of course.

19. ZL1LoVeR

ZL1LoVeR Strat-O-Master

20. harrysmo

I don't know what demographic Fender was after with the Road Worns but I'm pretty damn old and I bought one. I don't consider myself a poseur since I don't play out and I've only showed it to 2 other people. Truth is- if it wasn't for the $499 shipped price and a slight attack of GAS that day I'd never of bought it! I had a jaundiced eye on "relics" and wondered why people would pay Fender good money for a light/heavy reliced Strat. Still do. But for 5 bills, this is pretty cool and I think I can get my money back if needed. I guess that's a way of thinking of the RW series guitars- a working man's Fender Custom Shop relic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.