Rose Pickups is shutting down.

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by bah humbuck, Sep 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DJGranite

DJGranite Senior Stratmaster

A couple people started accounts just to post threads to complain about things that weren't Ken's responsibility.
    One bought some used pickups online and one had an issue, the original buyer contacted Ken about repairing it, pretty please I broke a pickup and sold it, can you bail me out.
    As Ken called it "a back burner project" .
    He sent it to Ken in February, in May he was complaining about his 6 month wait. Do the math... Then decide how much to believe.

I don't blame Ken for quitting.

jlsantamaria, Jesse414, Ace38 and 2 others like this.
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Rob's an old friend. We swapped many pickup spec stories. Recipes too.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    dante1963, Stonetone and guitarface like this.
  3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

Sorry to hear this. Dealing with the general public can be a real pain in the ass.
    I wish Ken all the best, wherever life leads him next.

dante1963 likes this.
  4. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Can you wind them hotter?

Buy Duncan.

Can you wax pot them?

Buy Duncan.

[]

Jesse414 and archetype like this.
  5. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talker

Social discourse has been in steep decline. People hide behind anonymity to act as rude and obnoxious as their childish egos want.

Ken wound me a superior pair of pickups for a Duo Sonic I made. I knew from corresponding that he was a sensitive person trying to fill a vague order. I ordered off menu and I had specific wishes that he fulfilled to my complete satisfaction. He is a real gentleman.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

retail is certainly not for the faint of heart. It certainly is not for me. Especially considering how ridiculous guitar players often are.

7. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

I have have a guitar up for sale that is loaded with Rose Pickups. I may have to reconsider this.

Jesse414 likes this.
  8. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

I have had a couple sets of Jazzmaster Picassos that Ken Rose made for me. They were excellent and I still have one set. Not parting with them. Sorry he got harassed to the point of quitting. That should not have happened but how could I not be surprised?

Jesse414 and Believer7713 like this.
  9. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

It's a shame that too many from the "I want it now crowd" believe that every business should function like Amazon with fully stocked warehouses and drivers who deliver to your door. Some business can't operate that way and thank God for that.

Fast, cheap, and good are not synonymous with custom wound pickups and those of us who've been around for a bit realize this. Wilde Pickups went through this some years ago when Bill Lawrence was so ill and Becky had the job of both caring for Bill and keeping the company operating. Lead times stretched from weeks to months.

I'm sorry to see another winder hang it up. Rose pickups had a loyal following and an impeccable reputation. Now we all end up the losers because of the issues of a few much like the rest of the country these days wherever freedom becomes freedumb.

Stonetone and dante1963 like this.
  10. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Manners and common courtesy have been crushed, "where the **** is my ****ing stuff I ordered yesterday" is the new baseline.

11. PonyB

PonyB Strat-O-Master

Did he meet his customers' expectations, or was he another small business that takes on too much work due to inexperience?
    Typically a three week wait becomes five, then eight, then indefinite, and that upsets customers.

12. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-O-Master

Wishing Ken the best. I watched some of the drama on the other site and don't blame him one bit.

I'm glad I got my Robusta/Buff Beauty Strat set and Bourbon/Buckaroo Tele set when I did.

13. SeventySevenStrat

SeventySevenStrat Strat-Talk Member

I think people only tend to get "extremely rude and impatient" when they're either not informed of how long they're going to be expected to wait or that the time they've been waiting has greatly exceeded the time stated.
    Having worked in retail for the past 20 years it isn't my experience that people get rude or impatient without reason.

nickmsmith and Blue Beagle like this.
  14. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Yep. I’m admittedly uninformed about the whole situation. But we have seen winders who take on too many orders and dig themselves a hole that is hard to dig themselves out of. It happens a lot. I don’t know if that was the situation, or what.

But publicly putting what I presume are customers that have paid on blast, isn’t a great look, when it can be addressed more directly.
    Two sides to every story. And both sides spouting off on the internet is ugly. I’m sure one side is more right than the other (presuming Rose is more right) but it’s unfortunate the way it’s gone down.

SeventySevenStrat likes this.
  15. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

Do not know what his pickups were like, but he is one of many winders who have now quit.

it’s a bummer to watch talent vanish.

and China the more excepted practice, that fills up landfills.
    With very low quality stack it high sell it low gear.

people today want a tracking number the same day they pay, and can be very assertive about it.

True custom craftsman is looked down upon with scorn…and a “rip off”? …I see this on pretty much all music type forums daily.

I no longer build studio gear, or do repair work, except for a select few older clients.

can not say I blame this guy one bit.
    A wack customer is no customer….

Stonetone likes this.
  16. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

He was a very good maker. And priced where pickups should be priced. Very fair. I guess it just got out of hand. Everybody is a loser in this scenario.

Chipss36 likes this.
  17. TheMadStratter

TheMadStratter Strat-Talker

It's a shame that a pup winder with a good reputation has to close his doors because of a few pickup " Karens ". :(

BTW, I happen to agree with Mr. Rose, one cant compare cheap Chinese junk with good hand wound ware. Those who do are possessed with tin ears. :sneaky:

Chipss36 likes this.
  18. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

Ken shut his ordering platform down when things got too much for him to handle. He didn't take on too much, he got tired of dealing with BS. I also remember seeing wait times listed on said website when you even looked at pickups, much less order, so there's no way someone "didn't know".

19. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-O-Master

Every Rose has its Thorn… :whistling:

Dreamdancer likes this.
  20. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

That’s a bummer. Was it a bunch of people or just a couple, that got all flustered with him?

I’m pretty much out of the fancy pickup game. But he is one of the few winders that was good quality and not jacked up price, for what you get. Bootstrap and him are the only two I’d really consider, outside of the cheap but good sounding Chinese eBay pickups.

Jesse414 likes this.